Global Frackdown Film Screening - Gasland Part II (1 Viewer)

VegetativeState

No Fracking Dublin present a screening of Gasland Part II

An investigation into the shale gas industry and hydraulic fracturing, an unconventional and highly dangerous method of gas extraction.

1378343_416483328477772_1946222222_n.jpg

Trailer:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In solidarity with local groups fighting fracking all over the world

http://www.globalfrackdown.org/

Facebook Event Page

Belvedere no?

Anyway, the whole anti-fracking thing stinks of nimbyism. We're happy to buy oil and gas that props up dictatorships and other less than democratic regimes (most of which, I imagine, would have pollution standards far laxer than those in the west) but don't want to allow drilling in our own states?

We're happy to buy oil and gas that props up dictatorships and other less than democratic regimes (most of which, I imagine, would have pollution standards far laxer than those in the west) but don't want to allow drilling in our own states?

I am pro fracking and will stand on the throat of anyone who protests against it.

Either that or i just wouldn't be aware of it at all if these people didn't do these things.

Or maybe i object to it worldwide but can only realistically protest against it in my back yards, giving a molecule of more creedence to worldwide objection.

Well of course there's a place for protest if it's that bad for the environment but how bad is it? The Economist ran a big feature on it recently and reported only two cases of proven groundwater contamination, both of which were caused by a failure to adhere to standards. Of course The Economist is, generally speaking, going to be pro-business but the other side of the argument is ably represented by many groups (some of which are, allegedly, funded by Russian gas interests).
Anyway, as with everything, I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

i guess the two cases of 'proven' contamination might exclude people who were given settlements to pay their medical bills/move house and keep quiet.

i *believe* but can't be arsed checking that it's not a very sustainable/long-lived energy source either

i don't know much about it, oil and gas aren't my thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back