GlasVegas @ POGO (1 Viewer)

i reckon they're ok. but the amount of people who've been hailing them as amazing is just weird. sort of hard to listen to in a trainspotting way

Paul Mardles just short of fellating the individual band members in the Observer yesterday.

Rock review: Glasvegas, Glasvegas

(Columbia)
Alan McGee is no meteorologist but, as he would no doubt testify, lightning can strike twice. In May 1993, at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, a small music venue in the middle of Glasgow, the fast-talking founder of Creation Records chanced upon a quintet of menacing beer boys and, three songs into their bottom-of-the-bill set, declared them 'fucking brilliant'. The name of the band? Oasis. Thirteen years later, in the same Scottish club, McGee caught another group placed third on the bill. Glasvegas were a four-strong troupe, this time comprising cousins, one of whom, James Allan, played football for Falkirk, Gretna and Queen's Park. They were also, as McGee enthused in a Guardian blog, initiating 12 months of press hysteria, 'rockabilly neds playing a frenetic homage to Elvis, art punk and noise'. Which sounds absurd. It's not.
Glasvegas
Glasvegas
Columbia
£11.99
And yet the Glaswegians - James (vocals), Rab Allan (guitar), Paul Donoghue (bass), Caroline McKay (drums) - should sound absurd, not least because they look like they've been styled by Mark Lamarr and taught to sing by the Proclaimers' Craig and Charlie Reid. On 'Daddy's Gone', last year's breakthrough single, which echoed Kevin Shields were he on good terms with Phil Spector and troubled by the concept of masculinity, Allan rebuked an absent dad in his coarse Scottish brogue, seemingly repulsed by men who disregard their offspring and singers whose delivery conceals their place of birth.
It's the other Reids, however, Jim and William, the Jesus and Mary Chain's pugilistic siblings, whose influence on Glasvegas's debut is most marked. Like their fellow Scots, James Allan's crew are wall of sound adherents whose clothing runs the gamut from black to darker still. But where the Mary Chain were flagrant nihilists, at least in their original unruly incarnation, Glasvegas are intense young folk who ooze humanity. 'Flowers and Football Tops', the staggering opener, which combines staccato drums swiped from Psychocandy with the kind of 'ohh ohhs' perfected by the Clash, addresses the death of 15-year-old Kriss Donald, who was kidnapped near his home and murdered by five men. It is incredibly poignant, especially when, five minutes in, the guitars fall away and Allan, gently, croons, 'You are my sunshine, my only sunshine/ You make me happy when skies are grey'. Then there is 'Stabbed', wherein the quartet slow the tempo and confront the subject from which there is no respite. 'I'm gonna get stabbed,' says Allan, matter-of-factly, over a piano and a hint of background hiss. 'No cavalry could ever save me/ I'm gonna get stabbed.'
Not that Glasvegas are solely concerned with the trials and tribulations that torment young men, astounding as their snapshots of contemporary Glasgow are. 'It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry' is a peerless exercise in self-admonishment in which Allan, his tongue loosened by a vat of beer, a feverish Joe Strummer at his vein-popping peak, apologises to his mum, bad-mouths ecstasy, alludes to Oasis ('What's the story, morning glory?') and recounts a playground taunt. 'Liar, liar, pants on fire,' sings Allan to himself, as if attempting to regain the innocence of youth. Either way, it's a theme that crops up again on 'Stabbed' ('Run, rabbit, run/ Run, rabbit, run'), while their debut single, 'Go Square Go!', bemoans the brutality particular to playgrounds, its 'here we fucking go' refrain both chilling and exciting.
All of which has led McGee to label Glasvegas the most thrilling outfit since the Jesus and Mary Chain. Praise indeed but then these hard-nosed softies are unique and this, make no mistake, is their Definitely Maybe, the quintessential noise-pop set of the modern age.
Download 'It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry'; 'Flowers and Football Tops'

I like them but all this over the top, gushing praise is very off putting

Ironically, journalist's who love them will make them come across as cunts or a big anti-climax at least

The lead singer really looks like Joe Strummer

Glasvegas_419980a.jpg

Nice one for that, I downloaded it yesterday and only got around to listening to it this morning. While I think all the songs sound really familiar and they do use the wall o' sound a bit too much I really like it, there's something about emotive Scottish vocals that cuts through my cynicism like a knife.....

Right, I've got around to listening to the Glasvegas album.
Enormous meh.
I know they aren't about restraint but there are only so many epics per album that I can take. It's like Meatloaf.
The subject matter is exactly what I expected. The struggles of working class people, etc. Cursing. Fitba. Grand.
It's just not great.
On first listen.
I might change my tune, or I might not listen again.

Apparently they sound like The Clash produced by Phil Spector

all I can think of is Give 'em Enough Rope

has anyone written a song called 'Up next, news and weather' yet?

a fortune to be made with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back