Giveamanakick play Bootleg Nov 20th @ The Pavilion, Cork (1 Viewer)

Bootleg

Bootleg
The Pavilion

Thursday Nov 20th

featuring

Giveamanakick

Doors 9pm €6 before 10pm / €8 after.
Entitles you to free entry to Play club night until 2am
10.jpg

steveamanakick and giveamanakeith = giveamanakick www.myspace.com/giveamanakick Two Limerick boys, ear shattering guitars, coronary inducing drumming, a disturbing use of gas masks and a self deprecating sense of humour, giveamanakick knee you in the stomach and then pummel you while you’re down. Deviant duo giveamanakick have finally released their hugely anticipated third album. The invitingly titled Welcome To The Cusp is the follow up to their much beloved subversive offerings Is It OK To Be Loud, Jesus?, and We Are The Way Forward. From an explosive start to a finish that always comes too soon, giveamanakick wreak havoc on stage, strutting from melody to mosh in a schizophrenic assault on the ears and eyes. It really, truly shouldn’t work…but is does. giveamanakick, whether on the stage or the car stereo, are a spine bending experience affecting body, soul and sanity. Over the past three and bit years, giveamanakick have released two wholly compelling albums, inviting much-deserved critical acknowledgement.

They have shared the boards with a multitude of rock luminaries including Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Rapture, Dinosaur Jr, Deftones, Rocket From The Crypt, Times New Viking, Melt Banana, Presidents of the United States of America, Ministry, ISIS, Lightning Bolt, The Icarus Line, Vaz, and Unsane, . They have proffered their strange and wonderous live shows at many festivals across Ireland, Europe, and the US, including Oxegen, Electric Picnic, CMJ New York, and Popkomm in Germany. giveamanakick’s 3rd album “Welcome To The Cusp” is in shops and available for download now. The new single “Brittle Bones” is released this November​

Found this off a GAMAK myspace bulletin...

CMJ Music Marathon 2008 Day 3: Giveamanakick

Being that I’m a cynical ass and this here is a “Music From Ireland” showcase, for a brief moment I fully expected that I’d be starting this recap with a joke about potatoes, or maybe car bombs (the drink), or Lucky Charms, or car bombs (the unconscionable acts of Euro-terrorism), or the pompousness of Bono, or… well, gosh, the possibilities are endless!

So much for that plan: Giveamanakick deserve to be taken seriously. The diagonal engine-revving of the opening guitar riff caught me in the throat as soon as I walked in, and the next forty minutes were positively unrelenting. Train-wreck-in-a-box vocals, Tom Morello vertical contours, guttural kick drum rolls, and, at one point, a power chord juxtaposed against a droning high E string which were positively transcendent together, especially in this particular context.

See, the depth of arrangement was stunning for a duo, but at the same time, with just two grumbling Irishmen on stage, it was almost like a minimalist reduction of punk—the genuinely aggressive kind, not just the regional-flavor Dropkick Murphy thing. That’s still an oversimplification, though: It was too jagged and prog-rock and stuttering and, well, too admirable and difficult. I’ve met a fair number of punk rock kids over the years, and they generally can’t do anything remotely like this because they just don’t practice enough. It’s not actually loose and reckless—you just have to make it look that way.

Having discovered these guys, CMJ suddenly makes sense again. The sheer number of shows and the alarming who-the-hell-is-that ratio can be pretty intimidating, and sometimes enough to overcome even the most meticulous of logistical organization attempts. But all across the city, new under-appreciated treasures are popping up in front of music lovers as if in a game of rock-and-roll Whack-A-Mole. Eat that, Guitar Hero. I stumbled upon this accidentally, instead expecting the Autodrone set that’s going down a couple blocks away, but it’s far and away the best thing I’ve seen this week so far. I’ve been drinking sponsored-by-Red-Bulls for days, but come tomorrow morning I’ll finally be re-energized for real.

—Vijith Assar

full review and pic to be found here my friends:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/64862/cmj-music-marathon-2008-day-3-giveamanakick

I'll be on Red Fm after 9pm tonight on Ashley Keating's show to give this a plug and give away 3 pairs of tickets.

Philtre

GeorgeDoylePromoPhotoShoot16thAp-1.jpg

Tralee based rock act Philtre was formed in the summer of 2004.The band strived at great lengths to create their own distinctive sound centered on melodic riffing, aggressive vocals and addictive choruses and their music has been described as infectious alternative rock.

Since the band’s formation Philtre have gone from strength to strength making appearances at the Rose of Tralee festival winning “Live at the Rose” competition in August 2005. This enabled the band to record their debut EP “Bullet from nowhere".

Constant gigging saw Philtre sharing the stage with Republic of Loose at the Killarney Summer fest. Throughout 2005 also saw them play with Leya, Delorentos, Vesta Varo and The Frank and Walters.

January 2006 brought the release of debut EP “Bullet from nowhere” with the headline track being featured on RTE’s “The Sunday Game”

February saw Philtre being selected as one of the best six unsigned acts in Ireland to Play on the Murphy’s Live 2006 showcase Philtre enjoyed great success at the Murphy’s Live with “Bullet from nowhere” Being nominated as one of the hit songs on the Murphy’s Live complitation.

The band appeared at the prestigious Bloom festival which prides itself on selecting the best of up and coming acts in Ireland.

2007 got off to a flying start with the release of "Took the Time" single on the Murphy's Live compilation, which saw Philtre play with Delorentos and Duke Special.

Following this success Philtre gained a support slot on the Irish tour to multi platinum selling German act Reamonn.

http://www.myspace.com/philtremusic

Silo

sil0018_b.jpg

Silo are a badass, rocking, soulful, melodic, tuneful band from Cork. Shortly after reaching 'legendary' status in their hometown they took their spine tingling show on the road visiting such places as Soho and Camden in London. Back in Cork for the winter will see the band working on new material and playing at various venues throughout the country. Studio recordings of the band are rare and much sought after and come in the form of demos recorded with various engineers such as the iconic Finny Corcoran and the genius Ross O'Donovan. The band have just released their debut single "Unlucky for Some" which was recorded and produced by Ciaran O'Shea of Cyclefly fame and is available in Plug'd Records, Washington Street, Cork. The big bucks album is on the way, probably. The band consists of brothers Shane and Cian O'Leary and farmers Philip Murphy and Eoin Ryan.

http://www.myspace.com/thesiloband

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back