Give me your name and address... (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 47
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 3
If he lost his stripes he'd be working for that scary private security crowd within the week i'd expect. I still agree though.

this lot?more ridiculous than anything I thought,strutting about dresses up like paramilitaries.I wonder if they'll give me a job?I could do that quite easily then just hide behind the big eastern european lads if any fights break out.

Oh there is not. We all know about the eejits the garda let into the force. They weren't making official statements they were talking shite in a car

No I would not. I'd expect my girlfriend, daughter or any woman I have a strong connection with to be levelheaded and smart enough to be able to differentiate between genuine threats and stupid idle banter they accidentally overheard at a later date.

I'd also want an explanation as to what they were doing getting arrested but that's a whole different thing.

Agreed. He obviously shouldn't have earned them in the first place.

I really don't see it as the same thing if some eejit makes a joke about rape to one of his buddies and if a gard makes the same joke about someone he has just arrested... obviously it's not an official statement, that's pretty inane...

"No I would not. I'd expect my girlfriend, daughter or any woman I have a strong connection with to be levelheaded and smart enough to be able to differentiate between genuine threats and stupid idle banter they accidentally overheard at a later date."

Fair enough... if I heard the same thing after getting arresting I'd find it genuinely disturbing.

I just had a skip through it. They were talking shite in a car thinking they were unobserved. Its pure gobshitery and I'm not trying to defend it but I'd say you could get similar results if you secretly filmed a few bogger buffoons in any car.

I thought the same, clearly a shower of fucking idiots, but it's overstating it to suggest that they were threatening anyone with rape.

I really don't see it as the same thing if some eejit makes a joke about rape to one of his buddies and if a gard makes the same joke about someone he has just arrested... obviously it's not an official statement, that's pretty inane...

I'd personally say the difference is negligible since it essentially was just a comment to his buddies. Eejits that they obviously are

I dunno though, the protesters already have the moral high ground in this case, they don't need to start getting into hysterics about it and that's the only way I can see this going.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Happy Birthday Kurt Cobain

but it's overstating it to suggest that they were threatening anyone with rape.

did anyone say that??

I'm mostly concerned about the calm wave of acceptance (not really here mind) but on other forums/socials were the general consensus is 'its fine, our cops are idiots, shit what would you expect, tis only a bit of banter'.
personally i expect more. if you qualify to hold weapons in public, to conduct arrests etc etc then you can hold your toungue till you get back from work.

did anyone say that??

'Give me your name and address or I’ll rape you’: the reality of Corrib policing

Is the title of the article.

You'll notice that it's in quotations which implies that they said it to someone. Turns out that someone was another policeman. So the reality of Corrib policing is that the Gardaí have said that to no one.

I'm mostly concerned about the calm wave of acceptance (not really here mind) but on other forums/socials were the general consensus is 'its fine, our cops are idiots, shit what would you expect, tis only a bit of banter'.
personally i expect more. if you qualify to hold weapons in public, to conduct arrests etc etc then you can hold your toungue till you get back from work.

It's a sad state of affairs alright but people are as sick of self-righteous protestors as they are of crap Gardaí. I think if indymedia/protestors/whoever showed a bit of restraint they'd come off a lot better.

'Give me your name and address or I’ll rape you’: the reality of Corrib policing
You'll notice that it's in quotations which implies that they said it to someone. Turns out that someone was another policeman. So the reality of Corrib policing is that the Gardaí have said that to no one.
It's a sad state of affairs alright but people are as sick of self-righteous protestors as they are of crap Gardaí. I think if indymedia/protestors/whoever showed a bit of restraint they'd come off a lot better.

Thats all literally correct. sorry mormon. i think i might have been thinking within the thread sorta. that said, there isn't a bigger gardai operation in existence than beating the will out of a tiny corner of mayo.

When I heard/read about this incident this morning I almost puked with anger, its so wrong on so many levels and its being fucking justified by a large quantity of people on politics.ie/boards.ie (I know! but a lot of Irish people use those boards).

Rape is a means of gaining power/control over some one. It completely reeks of "put those silly woman in their place".

People may think "sure they didn't think anyone would hear it" but the fact is that they were all on duty, all in uniform and should have been acting professionally at all times.

I hope to fuck that this does not effect the victims of rape coming forward for fear of thinking they won't be taken seriously.

They should loose their jobs alright, but as some mentioned earlier ties with the higherd heavys have surely been made at this stage.

No one is disputing the shitness of their sense of humour

It's not about the shitness of their humour... it's that the shitness of their humour is accepted as the lads being feckin eejits.. it's worse than that... this is taken from a friends twitter, regarding these events "And THAT is exactly why I never reported my rape to the Guards. I knew there was no hope of justice."
I know too many people who have been abused and don't trust the cops for this to be acceptable or funny

its so wrong on so many levels

I don't quite agree.

I agree it's wrong on this level.....

I hope to fuck that this does not effect the victims of rape coming forward for fear of thinking they won't be taken seriously.

And for that reason it requires that they be disciplined.
But as far as Corrib itself goes - it's a complete irrelevance, regardless of how wound up indymedia get over it.

And,
To say they should lose their jobs over it...... I think that's a bit much.

It's not about the shitness of their humour... it's that the shitness of their humour is accepted as the lads being feckin eejits.. it's worse than that... this is taken from a friends twitter, regarding these events "And THAT is exactly why I never reported my rape to the Guards. I knew there was no hope of justice."
I know too many people who have been abused and don't trust the cops for this to be acceptable or funny

I should be more precise, I don't actually use twitter- a friend posted the quote I used here, from their own twitter, on facebook

It's not about the shitness of their humour... it's that the shitness of their humour is accepted as the lads being feckin eejits..

It's certainly very bad for the Gardaí. If I recall correctly they were the worlds first unarmed Police force? Unarmed because they had the power to police by their sheer moral strength. How many years has it been since people have had any respect for the Gardaí ?

it's worse than that... this is taken from a friends twitter, regarding these events "And THAT is exactly why I never reported my rape to the Guards. I knew there was no hope of justice."
That's a terrible way for things to be.

This is what I don't get. If they have no faith in them, and don't trust them, and have been fucked around by them so many times why would they find this in any way whatsoever shocking? They know this was not an official statement, they know the cops are assholes, they know this would never be released by the gardaí themselves.

Are these people simply very, very naive? Do they think that despite all their experiences to the contrary that this accidentally recorded* piece of banter between two eejits who are in the middle of the same job they do every day is so unbelievable, is shocking no less? That does not add up.

If you want to say "the cops are total pricks, here is some proof of the cops being total pricks" go ahead and say it but don't dress it up in emotional tabloid nonsense. I would have thought these people would pride themselves in being above that kind of thing, like I said, they already have the moral ground in this case.

oh, and no one here has said it was even a little bit funny or acceptable. But that does not mean it's surprising. I would also say that indymedia's hamfisted way of dealing with it is, sadly, no more surprising.

* or as indymedia might put it if it was the other way, secretly recorded surveillance tape

You'll notice that it's in quotations which implies that they said it to someone.

I was following this thing a bit yesterday. The first I heard of it was a post on Facebook which was titled exactly as I Is John quoted above. It was clearly trying to imply that a Garda had directly threatened someone in Corrib with rape. Now we all know that's not what happened, but this only became apparent to me when I delved a bit deeper and read the transcript of the tape. Lot's of people didn't, and are now under the impression that the Gardai are going around threatening to rape people (or at least joking to prisoners about raping them), and as was pointed out above, this can have catastrophic side-effects with respect to rape victim's willingness to come forward and report what has happened to them.

Whose fault is this though? The idiot Gardai making the jokes in the car in the first place or those who are misreporting it with sensationalist headlines? And that goes for some of the mainstream media (e.g. the Herald) as well as the indymedia crowd.

Coincidently, this happened on the same day that the Rape Crisis Centre released a report showing the numbers of reported rapes have steadily increased over the last few years and that rape victims are becoming more comfortable with reporting it to the Gardai (sorry don't have more details on this .. it was in the Irish Times and I read it in a cafe).

In short, this shit's too serious to be used as a way of scoring points in a dispute and people should cop on a bit.

our survey said*:

http://circumlimina.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/the-elephant-in-the-atlantic/

The Elephant in the Atlantic
By DublinDilettante
It’s a toss-up as to whether the transcript or the audio recording of the Belmullet Garda Station incident is the more ghastly. Ghastlier still, however, has been the reaction elicited from the media and certain elements of the public at large.

Let us be clear about the content of the recording. It involves a group of Gardaí Síochána broaching, elucidating upon and deriving considerable amusement from the prospect of sexually violating a female in their custody for corrective purposes, in a remote part of the country where the rights nominally accorded citizens are already in effective abeyance.

If that strikes you as a keeper for the Boys Will Be Boys album, then all I can say is that you’ve got the police force you deserve. Note also the vulgar disparagement of the woman in question, and the pejorative reference to her possibly foreign provenance, both frequently identified factors in the psychology and methodology of rape.

If you walked into a staff-room and overheard a group of teachers discussing the notion of physically abusing your son or daughter to general merriment, exactly how inclined would you be to airily disregard it as a spot of confraternal hijinks?

The response of much of our national media to this development has been an outright scandal. This is how RTÉ are headlining their take on the story, the facts of which are fairly unambiguous:

shipmanpic.png

*this was the top tweeting article at the time of posting

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back