Gigsmart Compilation Release (1 Viewer)

Tokey

Friday July 4th - Gigsmart Compilation Best of Irish Unsigned Released

Friday 4th July, 2003 sees the launch of the most exciting release by Irish acts this year. Nineteen unsigned bands from Dublin, Cork, Carlow, Meath and Galway have contributed their musical talents to produce a ground-shaking compilation disc to be released nationwide.

This new compilation is the first to be released nationwide and will be supported by a brace of gigs and record shop in-stores across the country.

This release is unique in that it was funded through the fundraising activities of the bands represented on it.

Once released this CD will showcase real music by real musicians undiluted by the mechanisms of the production line pop world dominating the market presently. It is all Irish produced, pure and real. The bands have all funded their own recording costs, produced their recordings and composed and arranged their own songs, a quality fast becoming a novelty in the wider music scene.

At a retail price of only 10 euro for 19 high quality tracks varying from melancholic balladry (Pier 19) to hard edged but catchy Metal/Pop/Ska (mike got spiked) this disc will please all and alienate few.

Other highlights include the pristine production and Obsolete "Add To The History", the abrasive and catchy pop-punk of "40%" by Pinion and the evocative cinematic soundscape of Polar's "South".

As a cursory listen through this small sample will reveal, the scene existent in Irelands so-called underground matches and often betters the manufactured diluted music available on the mass market presently. This CD will therefore alert the discerning record buyer and gig goer to the relatively higher quality homemade music available freely and cheaply in their local venue and record shop.

Calendar of Confirmed Compilation Events

Friday 4th July

Nassau , mike got spiked and Oz Play Nancy Spain's in Cork City. Doors are 8pm and admission is 7 euro or 5 euro if you present a copy of the new Gigsmart compilation at the door.

Saturday 5th July

Al Capone Suite, Otranome, Pinion and The Eight Day, Devereux's Level 1, Carlow Town, 6 euro or 3 euro if you present a CD at the door. All Ages Afternoon Show, doors at 1pm.

The Beautiful Losers, Tower Records, Wicklow Street, Dublin 2, All Ages Afternoon Show, starts at 1pm

Thursday 10th July-The big one!

Release Week Party featuring sets from:
Ginseng, The Al Capone Suite, The Murder of Crows, Popstar, Me in the Park, Pinion and
Nassau and acoustic sets from Sundogs, mike got spiked, Tokin and Keith Mullins from Pier Nineteen.
There will also be an exhibition of Fire Poi outside the venue on the night.

Venue: Temple Bar Music Centre, Crown Alley, Dublin 2
Doors: 7:30 .
Admission: 6 euro

MORE EVENTS TO BE CONFIRMED!

Compilation Stockists

The new Gigsmart Compilation is available in the following record stores:

Dublin

Tower Records Wicklow Street, Dublin 2
Freebird Records Eden Quay, Dublin 1
Road Records Fade Street, Dublin 2
Sound Cellar Nassau Street, Dublin 2
Rhythm Records Aston Quay
Black Track Records Clondalkin
Golden Discs ( Wherever Adam works ).

Carlow

Rainbow Records Tullow Street.

Cork

Virgin Records

Waterford

BPM 4 Blackfriars Road

Wexford

BPM 9 Selskar Street

Meath

Heart Beat City Unit 14 Tower Centre

Galway

Zhivago’s 5 Shop Street

Dundalk

CD World Dundalk Shopping Centre

Yeah Here's the track list

19 bands for a €10 - Can't go wrong .|..|

1. Me in the park :::: Cheesecake.
2. Ginseng :::: Deep Inside
3. Oz :::: The River
4. Nassau :::: Hand of Hope
5. Polar :::: South
6. Pier 19 :::: 2.39 am December
7. Obsolete :::: Add to the History
8. Tokin :::: Broken Reflections
9. The Beautiful Losers :::: Relapse
10. The Murder of Crows :::: Gotta gun
11. Sundogs :::: U Want it
12. Otranome :::: On the road again
13. The Al Capone Suite :::: Court Jesters
14. Pinion :::: 40 %
15. Laminate :::: Couldn’t care a less
16. Popstar :::: Great Expectations
17. Mike got Spiked :::: 5 Second Heaven
18. Splinters :::: After all
19. The 8th Day :::: Rise against

Just found out that HMV have agreed to stock it.

They also said that it wouldn’t be hidden down the back somewhere, it would be up front in the New Releases section and if it does well they said that they’d talk to RMG about getting some funding for the CD to be placed in the Listener’s section where anyone can put on the headphones and listen to the CD before they choose to buy it.

Nice one .|..|

Tokey said:

They also said that it wouldn’t be hidden down the back somewhere, it would be up front in the New Releases section and if it does well they said that they’d talk to RMG about getting some funding for the CD to be placed in the Listener’s section where anyone can put on the headphones and listen to the CD before they choose to buy it.

Nice one .|..|
.|..|

I didn't know HMV stocks independent releases..! Any experience anybody?

Tokey said:

Nice one .|..|

Hope it sells bucketloads for ye

Tokey said:
getting some funding for the CD to be placed in the Listener’s section

nice one! but jesus, you need to get funding to get on a listening post... crazy

Alex said:
.|..|

I didn't know HMV stocks independent releases..! Any experience anybody?

Dunno
I think you have to through RMG. And they won't deal with any unknown independent releases. Fair enough like. There interested now i think

Ian said:
nice one! but jesus, you need to get funding to get on a listening post... crazy

Yeah it's a bit mad alright. See how it goes. I would have thought it was just a case of giving them a free CD :) , but when you have big massive albums competing for a places on the listening posts there isn't much room for the little guys.

HMV used to take independent releases.. My mates CD was in there a couple of years back but because of the volume they cahnged their policy.. Yes you normally have to go through a distributor such as RMG but if an album is an independent release and its in the top twenty nevermind looking like it might break top ten they are going to look pretty foolish if they haven't got it in stock.

Isn't it so so fucking great to see independent unsigned bands at #15.

I'm also happy coz I was gonna start a thread to that effect but now I don't have to bother and can save my tippity-taps for another day..

Thanks all for the kind comments. We still have to get through Today to make the final chart. The CD is loaded with great tunes and costs nothing. If your in town tommorrow pop into road and pick on up and then go to our big mega-gig in TBMC that same night and I'll give you a big hug!

Road has it and closes at 7pm tommorrow and Tower has it and closes at 8pm!

Thanks all!

Thomas Brunkard said:
Thanks all for the kind comments. We still have to get through Today to make the final chart. The CD is loaded with great tunes and costs nothing. If your in town tommorrow pop into road and pick on up and then go to our big mega-gig in TBMC that same night and I'll give you a big hug!

Road has it and closes at 7pm tommorrow and Tower has it and closes at 8pm!

Thanks all!

Thomas, I was saying before that it's funny - I remember way back when you were on the show and you were saying you planned to get the CD into the top ten, I was thinking 'oh wouldn't it be nice but it couldn't really happen with all the beyonces and christinas in this world etc etc'

I'm very happy to see that I've been proven wrong. Very wrong. It's not in the top ten yet exactly but it's heading that way and to get HMV to start taking notice is ground--breaking to say the least.

My point is: I shouldn't have ever doubted you!! :) Well done. Bet you're all on cloud nine.

Seeya Thursday I hope

Fiona

Alex said:
Thomas, I happen to have band practice tonight but I'd love to go... until what time will the kids be rocking..?

All night................long :)

I think the show from 8 till12 or so. Could be 11 but ther's loads of bands on

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back