Gig numbers lower than usual because of the weather or because venues have less work? (1 Viewer)

Re: Gig numbers lower than usual because of the weather or because venues have less w

weird, i was just thinking the same thing about venues down here in cork, checked www.corkgigs.com and i think it's the first time i've ever seen it not have a single listing for a sat night

Re: Gig numbers lower than usual because of the weather or because venues have less w

Since i have been here its really really quiet out

there were a fair few gig pulled becuase of the weather alright.

Also, 3 years of austerity budgets, huge unemployment and outward migration, IMF muthafuckas. It's surprising that there's still so much going on tbh.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to washingcattle again.

nows the time to get a decent band together, what with so much angst these days.

midweek gigs have definitly suffered in the past 18 months and spend per head is away down too.

That might be also something to do with the curtailment of nitelinks during the week.

Some fair points. But what would it take to get people back to gigs?
Yeah we're all feeling the pinch but there are a lot of contradictions when it comes to live music. How often is the 02 sold out within half an hour of tickets going on sale? How many people couldn't get tickets to Imelda May? I couldn't and my mate plays with her support band!!

jcdonaggio said:
midweek gigs have definitly suffered in the past 18 months and spend per head is away down too.

Hey JCD.

In your opinion are admission prices still too high for the quality of act?

Napalm said:
Price of tickets but hey promoters and crew need a decent living...

Very true Everyone needs to make a living from it Nepalm.
But are price expectations too high? Are venues, promoters and musicians just not bothered because the 'big' money is not there anymore?

Some fair points. But what would it take to get people back to gigs?
Yeah we're all feeling the pinch but there are a lot of contradictions when it comes to live music. How often is the 02 sold out within half an hour of tickets going on sale? How many people couldn't get tickets to Imelda May? I couldn't and my mate plays with her support band!!

I think people are just spreading out their gig going a bit more. For some people it probably just makes more sense to spend €60 (or €80) for a ticket to one big gig in the o2 for a band they're certain they're going to enjoy rather than taking the chance on 6 gigs in whelans that you're not certain about. One nights drinking and taxi fares is cheaper too. I know myself I've been going to a good few less this year and driving to them a lot of the time as well.

But then having said that festival ticket sales seem to have been way down this year

the weather has played a bit of a part too. I've missed out on nomeansno and municipal waste this month alone. Also, i had a spare ticket for interpol that I literally couldn't give away

The main reason I dont go to as many midweek ones now is due to their late finishing times, the headline act should be on at 9PM as its no fun having to clock watch at gigs worrying about getting the last bus home

i think we should get a warehouse and put gigs on it. get some film makers over y'know. Make a real art movement. It'll be really good. I really think so. I can sense off some people on this forum that they agree with me.

C'mon guys. LETS START A REVOLUTION

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back