Getting the smell of cigarettes out of a room (1 Viewer)

Bladez

I'm renting out a room in the house that I live. The previous house-mate has moved out. People are coming around tonight to look at it. The only problem is that there is an awful smell of cigarettes in the room. The room is carpeted so I'm going to try shampooing that. But any other tips of getting rid of the odour? Fabreeze and similar products? Do these work?

Thanks!

Maybe you're right. Just a quick solution to mask the odour and then do a proper job later. Gah...I don't know why I'm the one stuck with this.

if you leave the candles unattended they might set the room on fire & solve all your problems?

:) Solve those problems and gain some more. That would be like me alright.

Just open all doors and windows for a few hours provided its a relatively small room the smell should definitely be gone by tonight. Febreze is a good one, I wouldnt bother shampooing the carpet though

Half an onion works for paint so might work for smoke, open windows and doors anyhow.

Thanks lads. I'll try your tip with the onion moose. I read on the internets about using vinegar and baking soda. So I've tried that. Doors and windows have been open all day. The windows have almost been blown off with this wind. Anyway, it seems to have improved the situation, although its still obvious that someone was smoking in the room.

maybe ask the next one not to smoke in there too? smoking in your gaff is one thing but smoking in your bedroom? that's just manky imho.

I agree. It was never mentioned as one of the 'house rules' but, at the same time, I think its the convention to go outside if you want to smoke. I didn't realise until she moved out. Well, whatever I did seemed to work because a few people were interested.

On another topic, the Dublin room rental situation is horrible for those people searching. 4 people were interested in the room tonight and everyone was really nice. And they were all so eager to find a place because they said there are very few new adverts appearing on DAFT. And now we have to tell 3 people, sorry, we gave the room to someone else...

I just assumed that if you are in a shared house that going outside for a smoke was the norm. Obviously not. I'll mention it to the next person.

I just assumed that if you are in a shared house that going outside for a smoke was the norm. Obviously not. I'll mention it to the next person.

I haven't shared a house with people for several years. Things appear to have become a lot stricter. I lived with two non-smokers and I would have told them to fuck off if they had said anything to me about smoking anywhere in the gaff. :D

I think people's attitudes have become stricter since the smoking ban. As a non-smoker I've gotten used to not being in a smokey environment. So when someone does smoke inside it just surprises me - whereas before I mightn't even have noticed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back