Funk me (1 Viewer)

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This is the kind of thread I always end up discovering new music from.... it's the best thing about the "long tail" and music.... before u had to read in a magazine or hunt around in a record store to find something cool -- which made the choices always subject to the "gatekeeping" of editors and music store buyers and etc... -- which would lead inevitably to mediocrity and the prevalence of "poser music" -- i.e. stuff that you want to like because you think it's cool, not because you really like it. Music journalism especially creates high-profiles for really lame stuff, because journalists are always looking behind their backs, trying to profile something that they think in 2 years people will think they were cool for liking "way back when".... I GREATLY prefer the democratic nature of threads like these, where people simply list their tastes and you can just look something up on itunes or youtube and check it out for yourself....

These days I'm really into techno and techno/rock and stuff like that -- try searching for these songs:

Thomas Falke "Revolution On The Dance Floor"
Groove Cutter "My Shooter"
Control One "Just A Little Bit"
Ian Carey "Redlight"
Kevin Weg "Dead Radio"

I don't usually go for techno but these are sort of like a weird crossover between rock and techno/trance.

Here are also some downloads with some other cool stuff too -- http://www.electricfilebox.com/tracks
[/FONT]

45834.jpg

this blog is an amazing resource for 80's funk and soul singles, 1750 tracks put up in the last few months.
tracks like this give me such a bone

I just posted this on a different board yesterday.

For pure funkified fuzzy bliss check out Iron Knowledge if you can find it. Information about them is limited anywhere on the net. This is a compilation of all the information I could find. I began trying to compile a summary of their work after I heard their song "Showstopper" which is just nuts.

", LATaken from the incredible (and out-of-print) private-press funk comp "Chains and Black Exhaust" which WFMU was playing way before the rest of the crowd. Here is a total acid-proto-metal funk blast by a band I wish someone would track down and do a proper retrospective on immediately (two other bands on this comp, LA Carnival and Black Merda, have since gotten that treatment). Carnival and Black Merda, have since gotten that treatment).

Show-Stopper/Oh-Love (Tammy)
I first heard of this 45 through the Black Chains mix. Of course, it took me a good while to finally buy a copy, but it was well worth it. Show-Stopper has one of the heaviest guitar lines I’ve heard from beginning to end and an ear splitting solo in the middle as well. Oh, and don’t forgot about the drum break in the middle that’s like frosting on the cake. The flipside, as the title would suggest, is a slow love song. The Show-Stopper definitely makes this a single you need to find.

With track four is the entrance of startlingly growling rhythm fuzz whose presence is always to the fore, ”Showstopper” by Iron Knowledge lives up to its name and then some -- Whoa, this is a truly KILLER track and the guitar solo is, also.

Likewise, Iron Knowledge's "Showstopper" takes Hendrix's patented quivering fret trick (on bass, no less!) and slaps down an anti-war jam so infectious, the singers can barely stay on key during the chorus. OK, in truth some of these bands were less than polished, but the spirit is always there.
"

Then of course, you must check out funkadelic. Eddie Hazzel was one of the best guitarists of his generation in any genre. He was a prodigy playing with James Browns band before he was poached by George Clinton. Get Maggot Brain by them. An absolute masterpiece. The story goes that for the recording of the first song which has a 13 minute solo, Cliton fed the young Hazzel acid and told him to play the song like he had just heard that his mother died. Then he told him t play it again aas if he heard that his mother was alive again. The result is amazing. The song is just insanely good. The whole album is great. Buy it.

Ike And Tina Turner. You wont believe the tone Ike Turner can get from his guitar. And the tension and love/hate craziness between the two, floats to the surface and makes for some pretty strong songs.

Curtis Mayfield because he was a badass with a voice like an angel. He wrote the Superfly soundtrack. Get "Move On Up".

For some modern takes on soul and funk, get some Meters, The Gap Band and the Budos Band.

Also
The Mar-Keys
Bettye Levette
The O'Jays
And the legendary Baby Huey.

Download the mix posted in this blog for some rare, soul and funk that you might not hear about anywhere else. This guy has a huge 45s collection and posts mixes regularly. This one in particular openned my eyes to a few belters.

Heres the tracklist.

Tracklist for Part 1: DJ Prestige and Devil Dick

Iron Knowledge - Show Stopper/ Tammy
Willie Gresham & the Free Food Ticket - Step By Step/ Majesty
Donny Hathaway - The Slums/ ATCO
Timothy McNeely - K.C. Stomp/ Shawn
Sound Experience - 40 Acres and A Mule/ Soulville
The Impacs - Good Old Funky Feelin’/ Land
The Brothers Three - Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out/ T-Neck
Timmy Thomas - Cold Cold People/ Glades
Rare Earth - I Know I’m Losing You/ Rare Earth
Ethics - Think About Tomorrow/ Vent

http://fleamarketfunk.wordpress.com/2007/11/12/fleamarket-funk-meets-the-devils-music-mix/

Did anyone see Bootsy when he played here in the Mean Fiddler in the late 90s? It was a near religious experience. He came down into the audience and started hugging everyone. Amazing.

My da took me to see the JB Allstars several times at midnight at the Olympia in the early 90s. Off the wall. Never have I seen a band who came in and had a crowd up and dancing, totally in the palm of their hand from the first minute of a gig, keep them there for about three hours, and leave them still wanting more.

Like their West Coast contemporaries Sly and the Family Stone, the Chambers Brothers shattered racial and musical divides to forge an incendiary fusion of funk, gospel, blues, and psychedelia which reached its apex with the perennial 1968 song "Time Has Come Today."

The Chambers siblings — bassist George, guitarist Willie, harpist Lester, and guitarist Joe, all of whom contributed vocals — were born and raised in Lee County, MS; the products of an impoverished sharecropping family, the brothers first polished their vocal harmonies in the choir of their Baptist church, a collaboration which ended after George was drafted into the army in 1952. Following his discharge he relocated to Los Angeles, where the other Chambers brothers soon settled as well; the foursome began performing gospel and folk throughout Southern California in 1954, but remained virtually unknown until appearing in New York City in 1965. The addition of white drummer Brian Keenan not only made the Chambers Brothers an interracial group, but pushed their music closer to rock & roll; a well-received appearance at the Newport Folk Festival further enhanced their growing reputation, and they soon recorded their debut LP, People Get Ready.

As the Chambers Brothers toured rock clubs (including the famed Fillmore in San Francisco) and R&B venues (most notably the Apollo Theatre) alike, their music increasingly embraced elements of both; after recording 1968's Shout! for the Vault label, the group signed to Columbia to issue Time Has Come Today, scoring a major pop hit with the title track, an 11-minute psychedelic soul epic in its original album incarnation. The follow-up, A New Time—A New Day, yielded another Top 40 hit, a cover of the Otis Redding's classic "I Can't Turn You Loose," but subsequent efforts including 1969's Love, Peace and Happiness and 1970's Live at Fillmore East failed to maintain the commercial momentum. Upon completing 1972's Oh My God!, the Chambers Brothers disbanded, only to reunite two years later for Unbonded. Right Move appeared in 1975, and although no new studio records were forthcoming, the group regularly performed live in the decades to follow, with the brothers also pursuing individual projects; the Chambers Family Choir, a gospel group including the siblings' own children, remained a priority as well.

While this cut is no "time has come today" it is a nice funky little nugget from their 1970 album called "New Generation".

Enjoy!
http://www.divshare.com/download/4537748-43d

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back