French music (2 Viewers)

Moods For Mallards

Beyond Jacques Brel (I'm lumping in the Belgians, alright), Serge Gainsbourg, Jacques Dutronc and the latter-day dance stuff.
Show me the good stuff, there has to be plenty of it but I don't know where to look.
I love the garagey sound of 60s Dutronc with the French lyrics. The sound and the language fit together fantastically. Anything like that? Or completely different, but, you know, good?

Where to start!

Debussy
Edith Piaf
Francoise Hardy
Brigitte Fontaine
Jean Claude Vannier
Cerrone
Alain Stivell

Contemporary
Daft Punk
Justice
Turzi
Zombie Zombie
Steeple Remove
DAT Politics
Sebastian Tellier
Kandinsky
10LEC6
Monade
Charlotte Gainsbourg

r7784151157814337tv0.jpg

Various Artists - Bippp: French Synth Wave 1979-85 [Everloving Records 2008]

Increasingly detached form the original punk formula, the modern and arty youth of the early eighties set itself to jettison an art form that had lost much of the nihilistic and exhilarating energy of his halcyon days. NO FUTURE was the motto of an art form without a cause that no longer echoed the mindset of the time.

Disheartened but eager to experiment and create, a NEW WAVE of French musicicians followed the beacon of JACNO's seminal 1979 hit "Rectangle;" a visionary, digital coup de grace, with which the former punk dealt the Rickerbacker and Fender era a fatal blow. Cold and robot-like bips of analog keyboards took over. The Casio, Korg MS 10, and Arp Omni became the new paraphernalia of the NOVO generation -- ideal conveyors of their retro-futurist elegance and self-professed cold arrogance. These were symbols as potent as electric guitars in the fifties or laptops in the nineties.

oops

also check out METAL URBAIN - one of the first wave of french punk bands....with synths! the original stuff was great, haven't bothered checking out the new stuff done with jello b - a 30 sec clip sounding like tedious generic industrial gak was enough

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cheers, Faustus.

And I'll look into some of those other names. Obviously I know Debussy, Piaf, Hardy and some of the contemporary ones - but I'll check out the rest.

saian supa crew if you like hip-hop.

Space

Hey! How come my video won't embed?

PEEEEEEEEEETTTTTE!

Would recommend:
Red Noise; Filles Qui Mousse; Heldon; Lard Free; Urban Sax; Catalogue (or anything Jac Berrocal related); Heldon; Brigitte Fontaine (as mentioned but esp with Areski); Magma; Etron Fou Leloublan.
Stormy Six have been recommended to me but I've not heard them yet.

DJ-ed loads of this last Sunday........

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back