Forstella Ford (1 Viewer)

swingkid

Website
www.wfmu.org
hey FORSTELLA FORD from Milwaukee, WI, USA are planning on coming over here in June/ July 2003.

they have records out on
Level Plane http://www.level-plane.com/iwannarock.html
Flower Violence http://www.flowerviolence.de
First Time Records http://www.tftrecords.com/
Boxcar
Mountain Records http://www.mtncoop.com/
Deep Elm.

go to http://www.mp3.com/forstellaford for audio files

Email me if you wanna help out with their tour!
thanks, jamie
[email protected]

Some Reviews:

Forstella Ford - Quietus LP/CD
Reviewer: Brian — Actual review

Three things you can always expect from Forstella Ford : Sincerity, Passion, and Creativity. All three of these elements were captured yet again in the release of their third full length effort 'Quietus' pronounced (kwi e' 'tes). Forstella Ford might as well be known as the pioneers, of what we now know as Screamo, but Forstella can't be just thrown into that genre or any genre for that matter because they are the epitimy of Originality. After all the records that Forstella has put out, it's evident that every single time they release another one they almost "re-invent" themselves while still remaining the band we all know and love. Building on the success of their previous records Forstella manages to eclipse the emotions, beauty and chaos of these previous records while still emphasizing that passion and sincerity they are known for. Nine brand new beautifully structured tracks and a re-recording version of 'Dying On Our Own Terms' (from their split 12' with Life Detecting Coffins) that completely surpasses the original recording. As almost all of Forstella's songs incorporate a wide range of styles, it's no surprise that Forstella Ford appeal to many different walks of life around the globe. As long as you love passionate and dedicated musicians, who can create incredible works of musical art, you will enjoy this record imensely. The encasing of this record as all of Forstella's records do, looks absolutely amazing, Marty Defatte always seems to know how to blow my mind.

Reviewer: Stuart Anderson

I have a feeling I've heard of Forstella Ford before, though I'm not quite sure. This is actually their third full length record, and it shows. All of the songs are complex, though not so dense that they didn't grab me with the first listen.

The band hails from Milwaukee, and it definitely has a tough upper midwestern indie rock feel. It reminds me a bit of a more thoughtful Small Brown Bike, or a mor angry version of the Casket Lottery. The recording was done by Ed Rose, and the sound is both clean and fitting for the band. The songs themselves vary a lot in style, and even vary in length from under a minute to almost seven minutes. All of this, combined with the linear and well thought out song structures makes this record a lot more of a ride than your average indie rock record.

The drumming especially is very indicative of a few of the more angular Chicagoland bands. But as a whole combines a lot of elements of a few Touch and Go bands, or more than a couple Dischord bands. But they also have a tendency for more melodic moments, though tey're sometimes hidden within each song, rather than being the focal point of the whole thing.

The entire project from the songwriting to the execution, to the production and the artwork all reek of having taken a lot of time. Perhaps Forstella Ford have really come into their own on this record, or maybe their first two efforts were this good and I've been missing out.

My favorite track is probably "Irrational and Repeating," though none of the tracks really out shine the rest of the record. Hopefully I'm not the only one turned onto Forstella Ford with the release of "Quietus."

Reviewer: Jeff — Actual review

Sometimes the worst thing about hearing new music at the beginning of a new year is knowing that it was released the prior year and I can't rave about it. Clearly, Quietus would have had a spot on my top-10 list for 2001. This is such a fantastic album, such a perfect blending of emo and hardcore and energetic, driving rock, that it deserves such a mention.

Milwaukee, Wisc.'s Forstella Ford started out their career sounding more akin to Braid but have done what every band should do: develop their own sound. The fury and power of today's Forstella Ford is the furthest thing from Braid. More akin to a hardcore outfit like Shotmaker or Yaphet Kotto, only with the restraint and melodic guitar elements of your favorite power-emo band and vocals that can go from sung (with attitude, mind you) to shouted in an instant,

"Future Perfect Tense" starts out with driving rhythm but a more restrained pace comparatively. The driving guitars and sung vocals break into pounding rhythms and shouts and back with effortless grace. The screamed out "For all intents and purposes" to kick off "Tell-Tale Signs and Sure-Fire Ways" alert you that things get heavier, yet they also get quieter, as the band breaks into more subtle moments here of drums and bass and quiet before exploding with all-out screams and pounding rhythm and wailing guitar. I am such a sucker for bands that do that well, and Forstella Ford do.

What gets me about this band is that they're not your all-out power-chord and scream hardcore outfit. More talented than that, it's the pure rock you can hear - instead of the assault of noise you can't - that make them so good. As on "Irrational and Repenting," there's some fantastic guitar and sung vocals, as Mark Sheppard sings "The precision with which you look right through me - it's as though you second guess the present tense. Should I just sit here and be content? The night was over before it began." One of my favorite songs for the sheer urgency and for the stellar guitar work, "Summary Treatment" may be the most "emo" of the band's songs, with its melodic, moody breakdowns and powerful delivery.

The band's seven-minute re-work of "Dying on Our Own Terms," which appeared on a split 12", shows off their originality. Moments of electronics over mumbled spoken words, guitars and drums meandering in and out, make up a long and swirling interlude to this fast, powerful song that shows the band at their heaviest. The album closer, "Mercurian Harmonium," similarly runs over six minutes and runs from bass-driven rock with sung vocals to faster and all-out energy, although it is one of the more restrained songs on the album.

I must have listened to Quietus a hundred times before starting to review it. It's the kind of album that's worth putting on repeat and blasting the whole way through repeatedly. The way the band flows, from urgent and powerful to moody and quiet doesn't just stand out in one song but throughout the flow of the album itself. Put this band up there along with your favorite hardcore/emo bands; they've deserved a spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back