Foggy Notions Presents... The Tallest Man on Earth, Whelan's, Sep 11 (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Foggy Notions presents...

THE TALLEST MAN ON EARTH

+ special guests

Whelan’s, Sep 11, Doors 7.30pm

Tickets €13.50 plus booking fee from WAV Box-Office (Lo-Call 1890 200 078), City Discs, www.tickets.ie, Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

“His frantic strumming and front-porch poetry recall everyone from the Carter Family to Lead Belly to, most noticeably, country bluesman Mississippi John Hurt.” – Pitchfork, 8.3

“His melodies are as sturdy as mountain ballads, with intricate finger-picking and chords strummed precisely enough to ring with selected overtones.” – New York Times

Sweden’s Kristian Matsson is The Tallest Man on Earth – a finger picking virtuoso who plays inspired Dylan-esque folk songs.

Montezumas front-man Matsson started recording a set of rustic, gravelly-voiced tunes, ones that nodded to fellow Swedes Homesick Hank and Thomas Denver Jonsson, under the name The Tallest Man on Earth in early 2000.
His self-titled debut EP was released on Sweden's Gravitation Records in 2006. The “Pistol Dreams” single followed one year later, leading up to the release of his first full-length album, Shallow Grave, in 2008.

Accompanied solely by his acoustic guitar, Matsson bellows out his serpentine verses with great passion, especially on highlights “I Won’t be Found” and “Where Do My Bluebirds Fly?” The sparse yet intimate musicianship reinforces this album’s singular vision, drawing you into a darting stream of consciousness.

Matsson is an adept fingerpicker, and his guitar is easily as central as his voice, which is high, crackling, and rich. Much like Dylan himself, Matsson has mined the American south for inspiration, and his frantic strumming and front-porch poetry recall everyone from the Carter Family to Lead Belly to, most noticeably, country bluesman Mississippi John Hurt.

“I am The Tallest Man on Earth. So tall I have a feeling that my funeral will be expensive, they’ll have to saw my body in half and put the two parts in separate graves. I guess some people will mourn the top part, some the bottom.” – Kristian Matsson

www.myspace.com/thetallestmanonearth
www.myspace.com/montezumas
www.blogotheque.net/The-Tallest-Man-on-Earth,4817

shallow grave is one of the best albums of last year. dudes an incredible performer, he's gonna be a rock star

Valerie Francis just been added to the bill

Valerie Francis: Pulling no Punches...
It’s not every day that Kanye West and the Irish new music community make contact. But then, it’s not every day that you come across a beautiful slice of eye-candy like Eoghan Kidney’s video for Valerie Francis’s Punches.

The video caught the rapper’s attention, he blogged about it and set off a burst of online excitement.

The story shouldn’t end there, as West’s endorsement comes just in time to plug Francis’s debut album, Slow Dynamo . If you liked Punches, you’ll be in a right tizzy when you dip your toes into this quiet riot of hypnotic, serene and blissed-out pop. The sounds and songs on this Jimmy Eadie-produced album will soothe any amount of recession-related stresses.

Francis has been a fixture on the Dublin singer- songwriter scene for a few years, and a debut album is probably overdue. But the slow-burning, widescreen, chilled hum of Slow Dynamo shows that sometimes, it pays to take your time. - Jim Carroll

www.myspace.com/valeriefrancis

this Friday

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To the guy who stood in front of me and texted all night and talked to his friend during most (including my favorite) song then proceeded to hug him after his last song before leaving during the encore......FUCK YOU!

Otherwise an enjoyable gig. Why people buy tickets, stand in the front and proceed to talk through quiet shows is BEYOND my comprehension. If it happens tomorrow heads will roll people. I will turn into the biggest bitch ever known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back