FLY PAN AM (Thursday nov 11) (1 Viewer)

u:m

U:MACK
Present
FLY PAN AM
(Featuring Roger Tellier-Craig of godspeed you! black emperor)
+ support TBC
Whelans
Thursday nov 11
Doors 8pm
Tickets e13 from road, city discs & spin dizzy and on door.

Hi,
Just to let you know, we'e got Fly Pan Am playing in whelans in november. Support will be anounced asap.
heres some info on the band.
hope life is good,
u:mack

LE FLY PAN AM - BIOGRAPHY 2004

Le Fly Pan Am formed in Montréal in 1996 and played their earliest shows with many of the city's emerging instrumental/experimental rock groups (Exhaust, godspeed you! black emperor, The Shalabi Effect) in various alternate venues and extra-official warehouses during the late-90s. The band continues to comprise its four founding members: Roger Tellier-Craig (guitars, electronics); Jonathan Parant (guitars, tapes); J.S. Truchy (bass, electronics); Felix Morel (drums, electronics). Fifth member Eric Gingras (guitars, organs, percussion) joined the group in 2002.

The band's first release was a split 7" with godspeed, issued by local zine aMAZEine in 1998. They began recording their first full-length later that year, released as a self-titled CD and 2xLP by Constellation in 1999 to broad critical acclaim.

As Montréal's rock instrumentalists began to cross-pollinate and collaborate during this period, Fly Pan Am started working with sound artist Alex St. Onge; they premiered their first joint piece at Constellation's Musique Fragile concert series in 1998, and went on to record it for their first album. Alex has remained a regular guest, appearing on various tracks throughout the band's recorded work.

Roger was recruited by godspeed in 1998, touring and recording heavily with them until he left the band in 2003 to focus on Fly Pan Am and other projects. His collaboration with Alex St. Onge in the duo Et Sans resulted in a debut album on Locust, released in 2001, as well as a forthcoming CD on Alien8. Jonathan, J.S. and Felix have all been involved in various noise, improv and rock bands and events over the past 6 years: Jonathan released a solo record on Squintfucker Press in 2003 and plays in noise/vocal trio Sirènes; Felix has played with Boredoms/Mike Patton-inspired improv band Goa! and, together wirh Eric, forms the backbone of rock/improv group Panopticon Eyelid; J.S. helps run the Sala Rossa concert venue in Montréal

Fly Pan Am remains the central conceptual and compositional vehicle for all four musicians. The band released an EP re-working and re-editing various fragments from their debut album, then issued their second full-length, Ceux Qui Inventent N'ont J'amais Vecu (?), in 2002. This was a massive leap forward for the group, a highly original and critically celebrated juxtaposition of dry funk, 60s French pop and musique concrète that brilliantly updated the terrain charted by bands like This Heat and Brise Glace.. The band is currently exploring shoegazer textures, pink noise layers and indecipherable vocals in another strange and ambitious reinvention of their sound and structure, documented on their excellent new record N'Ecoutez Pas. These releases have all seen worldwide release through Constellation

In the last two years, Fly Pan Am has also been collaborating with electronic artists Tim Hecker and Christof Migone. Much of this work is still in progress, but the first fruits appear on Constellation's recent Song of the Silent Land compilation, as well as on one track from the new record.

Fly Pan Am has toured Europe and North America numerous times, sharing bills with godspeed, Do Make Say Think, Stereolab and Broadcast, among others. They have performed twice at Fonderie Darling, the Montréal installation art center run by Quartier Ephemère. They spent a week performing in Portugal in 2002, at the invitation of Visao Periferica, and played the Festival International de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville in 2004. They will be touring extensively in North America and Europe during the fall of 2004.

FOR MORE INFO: [email protected] www.cstrecords.com 514.279.9705

pssc said:
actually, roger left godspeed
didnt GY!BE break up?

its so lame how people use the godspeed connection when promoting fly pan am....they ain't nothing alike! they played in roisin dubh in galway about 3 years ago and the venue actually used a godspeed image (the train) on the poster and had in BIG BOLD LETTERS "featuring members of godpseed...." then loads of people showed up thinking it *was* godspeed (who had played there the year before) and then FPA had to make an announcement at the start of the show saying that they were not gybe! crazy! but an amazing gig....they nearly lifted me outta my seat with that first tune from their debut album that night - transcendental noise mantra's!

nah godspeed just took a year out to concentrate on side projects
they've just announced that roger left to be a permanent member of FPA so that would suggest that they're doing stuff again

spectraljanitor said:
they played in roisin dubh in galway about 3 years ago and the venue actually used a godspeed image (the train) on the poster and had in BIG BOLD LETTERS "featuring members of godpseed...." then loads of people showed up thinking it *was* godspeed (who had played there the year before) and then FPA had to make an announcement at the start of the show saying that they were not gybe! crazy! but an amazing gig....they nearly lifted me outta my seat with that first tune from their debut album that night - transcendental noise mantra's!
Is this the gig they played WITH Godspeed??or a gig they played themselves the following year?
I was at the Godspeed/Fly Pan Am one.The drink and the dope lifted me outta my seat - the bands did the same.Ah twas a great night to be a young fella on the piss!

spectraljanitor said:
didnt GY!BE break up?

its so lame how people use the godspeed connection when promoting fly pan am....they ain't nothing alike! they played in roisin dubh in galway about 3 years ago and the venue actually used a godspeed image (the train) on the poster and had in BIG BOLD LETTERS "featuring members of godpseed...." then loads of people showed up thinking it *was* godspeed (who had played there the year before) and then FPA had to make an announcement at the start of the show saying that they were not gybe! crazy! but an amazing gig....they nearly lifted me outta my seat with that first tune from their debut album that night - transcendental noise mantra's!
Originally Posted by u:m
U:MACK
Present
FLY PAN AM
(Featuring Roger Tellier-Craig of godspeed you! black emperor)

actually, roger left godspeed

yeah, I read the line in the biography saying roger had left godseed just after sending it out.. sorry... it aint on the posters.

Rimbaud said:
Is this the gig they played WITH Godspeed??or a gig they played themselves the following year?
I was at the Godspeed/Fly Pan Am one.The drink and the dope lifted me outta my seat - the bands did the same.Ah twas a great night to be a young fella on the piss!
it was a gig FPA did themselves the year after playing with godspeed.
the godspeed in roisins was amazing...they nearly didnt fit on the stage
.....the 3 guitarists were sitting about two feet infront of me......it was .|..|

oh and U:M, i wasn't slaggin you just them promotors in galway back in the day....
big up for putting on a constellation band:)

I always find it annoying and funny how road records put on every single constellation release "contains members of godspeed" when it clearly does not.

Also are the tickets out yet for the Fly Pan Am gig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back