Floating in Space (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
I do be hearing that Spiritualized are playing Vicar Street in September. Hurray..!!

And happily enough, I just found my old long lost 12 inch vinyl of "Feel so Sad" in my Dads record collection, right in between Beethovan 7th and the Best of the Seekers. So I took all three. Beethovan rocks but his slow movements are so sad and the Seekers girl has a sweet voice. Spiritualized kind of fit in between...

Vicar Street should be the perfect......

Jimcorr said:
I do be hearing that Spiritualized are playing Vicar Street in September. Hurray..!!

And happily enough, I just found my old long lost 12 inch vinyl of "Feel so Sad" in my Dads record collection, right in between Beethovan 7th and the Best of the Seekers. So I took all three. Beethovan rocks but his slow movements are so sad and the Seekers girl has a sweet voice. Spiritualized kind of fit in between...

Vicar Street should be the perfect......

saw them about 6 years ago and they sucked major ass. even tho someone else there thought it was great, but then again they were sitting on the floor on E!

Mr Spaceman's junkie-chic has worn so thin over the years. anyone know what the best spacemen 3 album is?

spectraljanitor said:
anyone know what the best spacemen 3 album is?

Dreamweapon(An Evening of Contemporary Sitar Music)

That's just a flat out lie, i like playing with fire

spectraljanitor said:
Mr Spaceman's junkie-chic has worn so thin over the years. anyone know what the best spacemen 3 album is?

I *heart* Recurring

I really like perfect perscription, which gets kudos as their best work, but I think it's a little flat and doen't really get very spaced out.

Recurring was made when the two boys wouldn't even spit on each other such was their hating. Sonic Boom on one half doing big fuzzy 60's space pop, and J Spacman on the other doing his bluesy heroin stuff not a million miles away from Laser Guided Melodies. Greats stuff... so many nights feeling the room spin to Big City Bright Lights.

MBV on one thread, Spaceman 3 on the other...
this is what Thumped should be like all the time.

spectraljanitor said:
saw them about 6 years ago and they sucked major ass. even tho someone else there thought it was great, but then again they were sitting on the floor on E!

i think i've seen spiritualized nine or ten times - oddly enough, given that they're not my absolute favourite band or anything. some of those occasions were head-lifting (eg finsbury park a few years back), a couple were a bit ho-hum (last year in the ambassador). wasn't nuts about the last album either. then again, the vicar st. is nice...

spacemen 3 wise, i'd go for "the perfect prescription" or maybe "playing with fire".

Pantone247 said:
I *heart* Recurring

I really like perfect perscription, which gets kudos as their best work, but I think it's a little flat and doen't really get very spaced out.

Recurring was made when the two boys wouldn't even spit on each other such was their hating. Sonic Boom on one half doing big fuzzy 60's space pop, and J Spacman on the other doing his bluesy heroin stuff not a million miles away from Laser Guided Melodies. Greats stuff... so many nights feeling the room spin to Big City Bright Lights.

MBV on one thread, Spaceman 3 on the other...
this is what Thumped should be like all the time.

any chance of ya burnin me off a spacy3 compilation of yr choosing? PM me... :)

Pantone247 said:
I *heart* Recurring

I LOVE side one of Recurring. That song "Just to See You Smile" was my favourite song ever for about 6 months in 1991..

Check that Avatar!!Motown Junk!

Talking about junk - i`d recommend most of S.P. 3`s albums.
Sound of Confusion for that garagey feel.
Perfect Perscription is my fav though.
Spiritualized in Sept!
Saw them last time in galway - they played Take me to the Other Side towards the end of they`re set.
The last studio album was a bit of a let down i thought.
Pierce is not exactly the most lively guy on stage - but who cares when those sounds are going on, a drag here, a drag there etc...

Rimbaud said:
Saw them last time in galway

leisureland ? (shit, memory fading) 1995 ?

twasnt the best gig as far as i can remember...saw them in the tivoli before that which was a good example of ueber-strobe lighting use.

they were amazing at witness last year in the dance tent...they musta played for 2 hours if not more...the people i was with went to sonic youth (it was a tough decision) but spiritualized did not dissapoint.

P. Littbarski said:

QUOTE]

yeah, the ironically named leisureland!
jeez, was it that long ago? probably.
i think they played in the other barn, the black box, last year sometime? space rock and galway venues - it just don't work! :eek:

The last time they played Galway was in the Blackbox - promoting the last album.
Alright gig - i remember Mercury Rev played around the same week in the Savoy in cork...now THAT was some gig.

P. Littbarski said:

twasnt the best gig as far as i can remember...saw them in the tivoli before that which was a good example of ueber-strobe lighting use.

Pretty sure that was 1998. I wasn't too impressed with that night either. Everything was a bit lifeless - band and music - and cos I'm such a big wuss the lights were wrecking my head :rolleyes:

Juno said:
Pretty sure that was 1998. I wasn't too impressed with that night either. Everything was a bit lifeless - band and music - and cos I'm such a big wuss the lights were wrecking my head :rolleyes:

...funny how two people can be at the same gig and take away different things..one of the best gigs ever(the strobes were full on alright tho)

Latex lizzie said:
...funny how two people can be at the same gig and take away different things..one of the best gigs ever(the strobes were full on alright tho)

Yeah, a few of the people I was there with would agree with you but I just found myself losing interest. I remember thinking 'Come Together' sounded great. I don't remember much else. Bad sign. I have an awful suspicion I was on a 'no drinking' buzz at the time though so that could account for a lot...

Juno said:
Yeah, a few of the people I was there with would agree with you but I just found myself losing interest. I remember thinking 'Come Together' sounded great. I don't remember much else. Bad sign. I have an awful suspicion I was on a 'no drinking' buzz at the time though so that could account for a lot...

..that might account for it..I was on a "throw everything that comes my way down my neck" buzz. So maybe my judgment aint that great. I had waited a lonng to see them at that point though and had never been in Galway before. (what that has to do with anything you can make up and interesting story for)

Latex lizzie said:
..that might account for it..I was on a "throw everything that comes my way down my neck" buzz. So maybe my judgment aint that great. I had waited a lonng to see them at that point though and had never been in Galway before. (what that has to do with anything you can make up and interesting story for)

after the gig we were strolling along the coast towards the city looking for a pub or club to continue the evenings festivities...when we were told by some galwayegians that a new law brought in would prevent our thirst being quenched on this occasion...at 11:30 all clubs had to put on the house lights, stop all music, serve sambos and shit for 30 mins, when the lights would go off again, the music would be resumed but the bar remained closed...what a crap set up that was...i hope this has changed since then

P. Littbarski said:
after the gig we were strolling along the coast towards the city looking for a pub or club to continue the evenings festivities...when we were told by some galwayegians that a new law brought in would prevent our thirst being quenched on this occasion...at 11:30 all clubs had to put on the house lights, stop all music, serve sambos and shit for 30 mins, when the lights would go off again, the music would be resumed but the bar remained closed...what a crap set up that was...i hope this has changed since then

yeah I remember that..it was all because some local types were killing each other between when the pubs closed and the clubs opened. I think the loss in revenue caused the pubs to have a rethink.

spectraljanitor said:
P. Littbarski said:
leisureland ? ,

QUOTE]

yeah, the ironically named leisureland!
jeez, was it that long ago? probably.
i think they played in the other barn, the black box, last year sometime? space rock and galway venues - it just don't work! :eek:

went on holidays there in 1975
got lost
got found by a woman in Dunnes
gave out yards to my mother for letting me out of her sight

puked up ice-cream on the stair bannister later that evening

summer bliss

Spiritualized will also be playing in Limerick this time around!!!!
The new album is on the way - meant to be more garage influenced for some reason...
But before the release the album will be released in the form of 3 10" ep`s.Or is it 12"?They`re going to be limieted anyway - don`t know why they`re bothering to do that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back