Films with a genuine touch of genius (1 Viewer)

I'm D/Ling The Friends Of Eddie Coyle at the moment. I always wanted to see it..Cape Fear is one of my fave films ever..The speach about his wife is fucking chilling..

'...Eddie Coyle' is a lost classic. One of those great Seventies US thrillers in the vein of Serpico or The Conversation. Directed by Peter Yates of 'Bullitt' and er, 'Summer Holiday' fame.

Hope you like it.

Primer. That's a headwreck of a movie, worth watching twice in a row to begin with. I'd recommend watching it with subtitles because the sound isn't very clear in it.

I'm sure I will - I'm a huge Robert Mitchum fan, i even like his calypso LP>
er...same here.

Have you read Lee Server's book 'Baby, I Don't Care'?

Essential.

I think The Lusty Men is my favourite Bob Mitch movie at the moment.

castle_wideweb__430x293.jpg

Dad? A guy's selling a pair of jousting sticks.

Jousting sticks? What's he want for 'em?

Make us an offer. Give him a call?

Yeah.

Dad? 450.

For jousting sticks? Tell him he's dreamin'!

that's such a deadly movie.

Harry from The Sullivans and Molly from A Country Practice.

'...Eddie Coyle' is a lost classic. One of those great Seventies US thrillers in the vein of Serpico or The Conversation. Directed by Peter Yates of 'Bullitt' and er, 'Summer Holiday' fame.

Hope you like it.

Agree with Mitchum on The Friends Of Eddie Coyle. Very good.

lost 70s?

Scarecrow,
The Seven-Ups,
Charley Varrick,
The Outfit,
Straight Time,
Hustle,
Slither

too too many...

Seymour Cassell in 'in the soup'. fuck it, the whole lot of it.
'Down by law' - "you're a goddamn dj and i can't get a single word out of you!" "why'd ya kill him Bob - guy didn't like Walt Whitman?"
'Out of the past'. exceptional film noir with Mitchum and Kirk Douglas. Dangerous viewing.
All films by Terrence Malick have glimmers of genius. Plenty of glimmers. All four of them. In 35 years.
Anything I've seen directed by Alan Clarke, especially Made in Britain.
'Naked' - David Thewlis gives a genius performance in Mike Leigh's most compelling film.
'The purple rose of cairo' - Woody Allen's most perfect film?
'Wiseblood'. great novel, awesome (literally) interpretation.
'Mullholland Drive'.
'Fanny and Alexander', so ambient, so painful.
'Anatomy of a murder'. James Stewart's best role?
'Scarlett Street', nasty Fritz Lang film noir from mid40s with a heartbreaking turn from Edward G Robinson. Also, Dan Duryea was a one of a kind.
'Night of the Hunter' - the most ominous movie ever.
'The Vanishing'. Original Dutch masterpiece. Disquieting.
'The king of marvin gardens' - Bruce Dern eats it up and blows Nicholson off the screen. Insightful film.
'The Saddest music in the world'. Best film of the decade thus far IMO from a unique , visionary talent. Guy Maddin - genius?

'Fanny and Alexander'
Yeah. I wasn't blown away by that one. It might have been me. I mean, it was definitely a good film, a very good film, I dunno. People who know about films tell me to watch it again.... maybe I will. Not for a while though.
I did really like the Jewish magic family place though... those carny folk he stayed with, all the magic and scary craziness there just under the surface.

edit- Mullholland Drive was good enough alright. I think I am pretty much alone thinking that Lost Highway was better though. Lost Highway in a good cinema was pretty amazing. I had no expectations either...

'Naked' - David Thewlis gives a genius performance in Mike Leigh's most compelling film.

He was amazing - boy he had some ampunt of dialogue to get thru..

I wasn't impressed with WISEBLOOD at all. setting it in the 70s just didn't work..

Ben Gazzara in Husbands. "Unreal! Unreal!"
Leos Carax's first two films are wildly inventive.
Claire Denis's 'the Intruder'. Quite a trip.
'Nashville' - how did that avoid a mention?

'Fanny and Alexander', so ambient, so painful.

i don't think i've ever heard a film be described as 'ambient' before but it's perfectly apt for that movie. The sweetness and wonder and pain of childhood is brought to life with superb simplicity. Strong contender for Bergman's greatest achievement

must make time to watch Fanny and Alexander again.

Both previous occasions I watched it over a couple of nights.

Anyone do the whole lot in one go?

nah, you'd need to set aside a full day. Plus it was originally shot for tv wasn't it? either way it's amenable to be broken up over a couple of nights with it's separate parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back