Festivals V. Stand Alone Gigs (1 Viewer)

Is this anything new though?

Summer time has always been a drought of international bands doing solo gigs in Europe as they do the festival circuit (the number of festivals one could argue anecdotally has increased in the last decade) but they usually hop back over in Autumn/Winter for stand-alone gigs?

Maybe I'm getting old. In fact I am and that's fair enough. But even when I wasn't old Festivals weren't up to much music wise. Only Mogwai, The Flaming Lips and Massive Attack have been as good or better at a festival, the latter two because their special effect stage show was better.

Festivals are great for getting wasted and doing drugs for three days but the music is usually a rather middling experience. I'd be in favour scrapping them all and having a festival that took pace in proper venues. Remember that Docklands festival ? that was good craic plus there's the theatre the O2 and the convention centre down there now. That'd be good craic, I liked the Heiniken green energy one two even HWCH is a good blueprint for a festival but this getting shit faced in a field spending a tenner on a burger is fucking ridiculous.

The sound is shite, the weather is usually a chore and it seems that drugs have just gotten more dangerous and scaldy over the years means that festivals are a fucking mess.

Bring back mushrooms and make Ketamine impossible to get hold of I say.

washingcattle said:
Festivals are great for getting wasted and doing drugs for three days but the music is usually a rather middling experience. I'd be in favour scrapping them all and having a festival that took pace in proper venues. Remember that Docklands festival ? that was good craic plus there's the theatre the O2 and the convention centre down there now.
True, unless you're going to your Primaveras or ATPs, the majority of attendees are there to get shit faced & dress up like hen/stag parties.

Dublin Castle / Olympia theatre used do multiple bands in-a-day things in the 90s. That Docklands festival was good too, can't remember who put them on but I'd hazard a guess that the Art's Council funded a good bit.

I love the Christian festival Christmas. It happens during Winter, which is unusual.
The last festival I was at I was amused by the site of a middle-aged dad shouting the lyrics of "Ebenezer Goode" in to his young son's face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back