Favourite Iommi riff (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
I don't have an answer to this question but the riff in Snowblind ("you're having a good time now..") made me think of this.

anyone?

Black%20Sabbath%20-%20Live2.jpg

Too many,
The main riff from Sweat Leaf,
The verse riff from Lord Of This World
The opening riff from Into The Void
The riff Into The Void ends on
The verse riff in Supernaut
The bit in Sabbath Bloody Sabbath..."Where did you run to..." (possibly the heaviest riff ever)
The chorus riff in Killing Yourself To Live
Hole In The Sky-(so overlooked). The verse riff,especially where it's played higher just before the singing.
The beginning riff of Symptom Of The Universe.
Hard Road-(again,really overlooked) It's all about the verse riff ,again.
And so on and so on.

but the winner is always gonna be that opening from from Children of The Grave

and here it is gary
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hole in the sky
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fuck thats hard

Into the Void opener
Wheels of Confusion
Snowblind
Symptom of the Universe
Supernaut

The story about that california jam gig is great. I think it's on the Black Sabbath story vol 1 video. Hadn't practiced in a year or something and didn't wanna play. Ended up they would have gotten sued for tons had they pulled out. I'd need to watch the video to be sure.

I'd never seen that footage of Hole In The Sky-awesome.

That dvd is great. I especially love the chillum related stories. Must have been such a great buzz. Havent seen the second volume. Is it up to much?

God, what a difficult question, and an impossible task really.

Practically every riff and every song has its merits, and a lot of those mentioned above rock like the proverbial.

The man invented riffing as we know it, so to pick one riff or song out from those early Sabbath albums is impossible.

Even little fills on tracks like "Spiral Architect" have their merits, and eclipse much of the pomp riffing that bands took to in Iommi's wake. His intros were the work of genius too, "St Vitus Dance" could be a folk song were it not for a few savage powerchords. Same goes for "The Wizard".

His slow riffing, like "Into the Void", is unsurpassed, even by the really good doom and gloom death metal outfits of the early to late 90's. Simple three chord tricks like the repeated riff that bridges "A Bit of Finger", "Sleeping Village" and "The Warning" sounds piss easy, but it possesses incredible power.

My favourite riffs from the classic Ozzy days are when Tony and Geezer are on the same wavelength, "After Forever" and hundreds more, from the opening bars of the first album on are just so, so good.

But in recent years I've grown to love a lot of the non-obvious, overlooked albums. The riffs here, on albums like "Never Say Die", "Technical Ecstasy" and the three Dio studio albums, are the best for me. I guess there's a guilty pleasure thing about it, or maybe it's because no one else seems to like 'em? I dunno. Maybe.

I LOVE the 'Never Say Die' album, it's probably my favourite Sabbath album of them all. Even though they were on the verge of splitting with Ozzy and Bill was 95% alcohol, it's a really together album. Good meaty songs, superior riffing, and Bill really beats the shit out of that kit. And you know Johnny's a spider...

Quite a bit of the Dio-era riffage is unreal too.

"Sins of the Father" and "I" from the 'Dehumanizer' album are particularly good.

"Heaven & Hell", "Lonely Is the Word" (opening riff), "Walk Away", "Children of the Sea", from 'Heaven & Hell'; and "Sign of the Southern Cross" from 'Mob Rules' aren't half bad either.

So, in answer to the question, practically everything from the Ozzy and Ronnie Dio days.

I'm heading over to England next month to catch some of the Heaven & Hell shows, can't wait! Bring on the riffage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back