Fargo (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 220
  • Views 19K
  • Watchers 4
Chili should be served with cornbread on the side. It should be a meal of its own without rice, or even weirder, mashed potato.

Ehhh... Chili is a staple main/side and gets served in just about every possible way. Cornbread on the other hand is quite niche and is hard enough to find in many parts of America.

A REAL combo that's universal in America is chili and saltines. Why oh why aren't there saltines in Ireland :(

It's perfectly fine. Just "inauthentic" if that even matters.

Sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips is what you usually get in the south west. Can't speak for Mexico.

Rice is perfectly authentic in some places:

• In southeast Texas, some people eat chili served over white rice. Chili over rice (frequently with beans) is also common in Hawaii (where it is known as chili rice) and is eaten this way in the UK and, to some extent, Australia.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

Rice is perfectly authentic in some places:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

Been all over Texas and ate chili and bbq everywhere I went (and chicken-fried steak) and never saw it.
But maybe they do.

The idea that Irish and UK housewives do it that way too sounds like more of an accident than anything though, no?

Been all over Texas and ate chili and bbq everywhere I went (and chicken-fried steak) and never saw it.
But maybe they do.

The idea that Irish and UK housewives do it that way too sounds like more of an accident than anything though, no?

I grew up in the south and spent many, many, many a night in TX and AR and TN and LA and MS and ... Well... All over the place, and while I wouldn't assume chile wouLd have rice I wouldn't be vaguely surprised if it did.

Chili is also very popular out of place like Wendy's, so seeing someone with chili and French fries would be incredibly common.

Also, you gotta remember that all those salad bar Southern cooking style places have chili, so in that context chili and mashed potatoes would be completely reasonable.

I grew up in the south and spent many, many, many a night in TX and AR and TN and LA and MS and ... Well... All over the place, and while I wouldn't assume chile wouLd have rice I wouldn't be vaguely surprised if it did.

Chili is also very popular out of place like Wendy's, so seeing someone with chili and French fries would be incredibly common.

Also, you gotta remember that all those salad bar Southern cooking style places have chili, so in that context chili and mashed potatoes would be completely reasonable.

It was just a general point on distance and such. Taco night in Minnesota mightn't be exactly what you would expect in Tijuana.

Same way people come here from Ireland and moan about the Guinness and fish & chips or whatever.

If they're eating mash potatoes with their chili in Arkansas, all well and good.

It was just a general point on distance and such. Taco night in Minnesota mightn't be exactly what you would expect in Tijuana.

Same way people come here from Ireland and moan about the Guinness and fish & chips or whatever.

If they're eating mash potatoes with their chili in Arkansas, all well and good.

Totally agree.

I actual think Mexican food tends to get better the further away you get - in America - from Mexico, because the concept of Mexican food had meant "TexMex" for most of the south for decades. And TexMex sucks.

The best Mexican food I've ever had was actually in Boston.

Saying that, it IS getting better in the south; food in general is.

Totally agree.

I actual think Mexican food tends to get better the further away you get - in America - from Mexico, because the concept of Mexican food had meant "TexMex" for most of the south for decades. And TexMex sucks.

The best Mexican food I've ever had was actually in Boston.

Saying that, it IS getting better in the south; food in general is.

I would probably be dead if I lived in Texas. I pressed my fork into my (awesome) chicken-fried steak and grease immediately pooled into the depression. It was delicious.

I have friends here from AZ and they pronounce all the Mexican food in Spanish accents and don't rate Boston's Mexican food at all.
Arguing is pointless, vato.

I would probably be dead if I lived in Texas. I pressed my fork into my (awesome) chicken-fried steak and grease immediately pooled into the depression.

I have friends here from AZ and they pronounce all the Mexican food in Spanish accents and don't rate Boston's Mexican food at all.
Arguing is pointless, vato.

Oh I know. AZ isn't really the south and I'd say it's a bit special in this conversation.

The last time I was in TX and AR people still thought shit like Casa Bonita was good Mexican food. Ugh.

The place I went to in Boston, the owner would fly into Mexico and South America and bring back peppers and other strange stuff. I assume it was legal. :)

Amazing food. Amazing.

But places like that were treating like specialty food, ethnic food, not cheap food. In Arkansas and Texas and TN and ... All over the south.. LA .. MS... Most Mexican food is treated like cheap food and isn't very fresh or varied.

AZ is a different place though. Incredibly Mexican.

It's funny, but as I myself experienced the reviews of Mexican food (well, ok burritos) are the worst in the South

For some reason I can't paste the Nate Silver link here. Google 538 and burritos and you can see the regional breakdown.

Unsurprisingly really CA is the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back