Fanzines (1 Viewer)

bohs punks

Website
Visit site
So who still buys zines? Writes zines? are they available at gigs? replaced by the internet? cant get em but would like to? recommendations? zines you loved? freesheets?

generally discuss where its at with fanzines in irish punk these days.

Haven't been able to find any in a while, used to get em in the secret book n record store on Wicklow street but last few times I've gone in there's been none.

I havn't seen any at shows for about a year. I still think ther're valid. Theres something comforting about reading a zine made by someone you know of or know. Of course it can all be done by blogs...but.....

I think its time to give up zines. Theres no reaction anymore to them so its time to say that they're dead and gone. I keep coming up with these comics and I don't hear a word about them, except Deko sent Anto a sound text about them, other than that nothing!

People now are showing each other photos and funny stories on facebook. It might not be better but its what people are doing. I think people don't want to spend two euro on a zine when they can read countless amounts of info on the net instead, and thats fair enough! Zines had their time donkeys years ago and its time to move on!

People now are showing each other photos and funny stories on facebook. It might not be better but its what people are doing. I think people don't want to spend two euro on a zine when they can read countless amounts of info on the net instead, and thats fair enough! Zines had their time donkeys years ago and its time to move on!

I didnt follow it, but somone did a skit on that tv show fade street via facebook and seemingly people enjoyed it. also a friend of mine has more or less written a short novel via the medium of facebook, although the text is externally linked, it basically lives and breathes through facebook. basically i'm saying i agree with you, and have two examples.

Newest Irish zine out of recent was Back2Front issue 6 which came out last week, interviews with Moral Dilemma,Behind Enemy Lines, Oi Polloi + lots of anarchism: [email protected]
People dont really buy zines for a while I didnt stock any reading material at all but it seems blogs have taken over.
Best zine I read of recent was More Noise from the UK its all on noise and raw punk but the enthusiasm it is written is just great.

It's hard to know really, if i see a zine i will generally buy it- especially if soemone actally goes around the gig and tries to sell it, mch more personal than just having it on a stall.

also i think there is a big difference between a zine and facebook posting as a lot more thought /editing usually goes into a zine where as facebook is all about the short quick post. blogs maybe are more the new way

gig listings and facebook events have definitely killed the freesheet / info sheet but i'd hate to see no more irish zines, mind you i have an unpublished kotsp zine sitting at home for about two years so it can be hard to be bothered.

as an aside i think its the same elsewhere , been to a few gigs in hamburg lately and theres not a sign of a zine, they have em at the football alright - quite popular but even they are mostly one persons labour of love from what i can see.

nosebleed and loserdom were the standard setters in irish zinedom , if loserdom stops it will defo be end of an era stuff

I've been working on one in fits and starts since last September.It has very little to do with punk rock, and more to do with horror/exploitation films and general unpleasantness. I have no idea when I'll actually get t finished but I'm determined to do so.

I'm not really sure I agree with the "it's time to give up zines" thing, i think people just need to do something more imaginative with the format - and certainly for music ones, just going "yeah this band are deadly" and calling it a review isn't enough. Five years ago when Red Ink was open there seemed to be plenty, but they all seemed to be teenagers rambling on about drinking coffee and looking at the stars and all that shit, which killed them for me.

In terms of punk zines, look at what's going on with zines like Distort or Inverted Forest - two examples of how you can actually do something really worthwhile if you put some effort in. Sadly, they're the minority.

I read a ton of noise and metal zines, as those people really seem to know how to write about music. But in terms of punk zines, the standard seems to be much lower a lot of the time. A local punk zine to match something like "Special Interests" or "Oaken Throne" could be amazing.

Blogs are great, but I don't know anyone who reads their laptop on the jacks like.

Me and Al are in the process doin a split zine called 'BLOD' (a gigantic sea beast from the Tain).Mixture of punk shit, wierd artwork, irish folklore and rants..will be like TwoheadedDog and Unset mixed together I guess..Should be out soon enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back