Explosions in the Sky (1 Viewer)

Rimbaud

...i'm nearly done here..
Supporter
Website
www.rimbaudrecords.com
The last time this band played here, i did`nt know anything about them, and did`nt go to see them play either - since, i`ve read good things about them.

They`re playing again here shortly....Anyone see them last time round?

Anyone get their double album/lp?

Their tour is only 3 weeks off!

As far as i can gather, the first album was a double, and the third one out in 2003 was a double...anyway - i`ll probably pick something up at their show.
Are they Godspeed/Mogwai instrumental stuff or heavier instrumental stuff?

they're damn good, that's all you need to know.

Bikini Atoll are supporting on the tour I believe (they are on the cork gig anyway so I presume they're doing all the irish dates) so it'll be a good value show I reckon.

Rest also support in cork so three excellent bands for a tenner, can't wait!

jim, what is it about cork? all the good bands come from cork, well the ones manage to make any sort of career out of it. dublin bands flounder and turn into alcos, like fkos will... but what is it about cork?

Easy....its not Dublin.

Explosions in the Sky are playing Belfast on the saturday - wheres the place they`re playing located?
The venue is called The Pavillion.
Anyone know an address or anything?

hag said:
jim, what is it about cork? all the good bands come from cork, well the ones manage to make any sort of career out of it. dublin bands flounder and turn into alcos, like fkos will... but what is it about cork?

dunno, maybe some folk are happy being big fish in a small pond (we get that donw here too -bass odyssey spring to mind) so i'm not being anti-dublin when I say that.

Rimbaud said:
As far as i can gather, the first album was a double, and the third one out in 2003 was a double...anyway - i`ll probably pick something up at their show.
Are they Godspeed/Mogwai instrumental stuff or heavier instrumental stuff?

the first album is heavier and dronier than godspeed. not miles away from mogwai's latest album. afaik both explosions albums are single cd albums (double vinyl maybe the confusion?). the first one is only one cd anyhoughs.

explosions in the sky rock. we played with them in limerick and they were deadly. i have one of their albums but i since lost it or lent it or something i don't know but i'd really like to get it again. this sligo guy sent me this album they never released as well and it was amazing.

rest are amazing too. seriously.

cork also has the best restaurant/cafe. it is called the southside cafe and its located in a little industrial park on tramore road. all the workers eat there and its really cheap but the food makes my mouth water. they do all day breakfasts and stuff and a huge breakfast roll is only 3euro. so i suppose i'm saying that every one should eat there before they die.

Alan Latchley said:
Re: Cork vs Dublin. At least ye're not living/playing/working etc.. in Galway. All the bands have turned into cover bands. It's tragic...

all the promoters I deal with are always saying it's nigh on impossible to get bands into Galway. I was told that one venue in Galway turned down fugazi a few years back coz none of the staff/management had heard of them!!??!!

sausage said:
cork also has the best restaurant/cafe. it is called the southside cafe and its located in a little industrial park on tramore road. all the workers eat there and its really cheap but the food makes my mouth water. they do all day breakfasts and stuff and a huge breakfast roll is only 3euro. so i suppose i'm saying that every one should eat there before they die.
sound good, you even named yourself...

Jim A. Morrish said:
all the promoters I deal with are always saying it's nigh on impossible to get bands into Galway. I was told that one venue in Galway turned down fugazi a few years back coz none of the staff/management had heard of them!!??!!
:p :cool: :rolleyes: that's Galway for you.

John Lydon contacts Guy Ritchie asking him would be interested in filming his book "No Blacks etc"
gets a response from someone in the Ritchie camp that "we've never heard of you"
Short time later he sees Madonna wearing a Sex Pistols belt

Jim A. Morrish said:
what happened was this - for some reason the band were booked to play in the quays - which is a fuckdogsuperpub usually home to the bootleg beatles and the george micheal experience. that woulda been kinds cool. but the venue objected to fugazi for the reason that they wanted to play an all ages show and this was obviously a foreign concept to the beerbarons who ran the gaff. ergo gig got pulled.

galways a fucked up place gig-wise. it was ok a few years ago before the booking policy in roisin dubh changed and now its all trad, or covers, or shit irish rock bands or reunion tours. but in the year of our lord 2000 i saw Godspeed and Low play there.

and there's always the gigs that gugai put on in the warwick but there's only so many times you can get excited when the jimmy cake (no offence kids - i love ye!) or the tycho brahe (again no offence - and someday i'm sure there will be a decent soundtech for ye in galway!) play again in galway. and even gugai is feeling the pinch cause of the warwick overlords.

the new noise boys are keepin it real for the hardcore/punk thang with the gigs in richardsons - they had boxes and giveamanakick on over the last few months.

the only thing to do is for us to try and band together and put on gigs in fucked up venues which will means that everyone gets paid and the word gets out that there's more to this fuckin city than, um, covers bands.

anyone?

spectraljanitor said:
and there's always the gigs that gugai put on in the warwick but there's only so many times you can get excited when the jimmy cake (no offence kids - i love ye!) or the tycho brahe (again no offence - and someday i'm sure there will be a decent soundtech for ye in galway!) play again in galway. and even gugai is feeling the pinch cause of the warwick overlords.
us and The Chalets are playin the Warwick on Thursday 19th February, if it's any good to ya.

first time we'll have properly played Galway, so we're pretty excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back