Eternal Sunshine query. SPOILER!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Wilbert

Website
www.gettaroom.com
If you haven't seen Eternal Sunshine.... stop reading now!

If you have seen it maybe you can answer this question; When Joel asks Clementine to meet him in Montauk when he is having his memory of her erased, how did she know to meet him there?
I mean, he makes the plea to a memory, so how can the actual Clementine know to be there?
Any ideas?
p.s. Not being pedantic. Loved the film and even if this is a loophole then it won't change my opinion of the film.

Wilbert said:
If you haven't seen Eternal Sunshine.... stop reading now!

If you have seen it maybe you can answer this question; When Joel asks Clementine to meet him in Montauk when he is having his memory of her erased, how did she know to meet him there?
I mean, he makes the plea to a memory, so how can the actual Clementine know to be there?
Any ideas?
p.s. Not being pedantic. Loved the film and even if this is a loophole then it won't change my opinion of the film.
it's probably all to do with the sub-conscience! he never knew why he took the day off work to go to montauk, he just did it and then just got talking to her and remember she said do i know you from somewhere?
does that make sense?

does this shit have spoiler tags?
[edit: no it doesn't]

Well.. I took it that while getting his memory erased, Joel remembered all the things he loved about her, and in his memory, she told him to meet her in Montauk, where they first met.

Now, being a 'love' story, it's not hard to assume that Clementine went through the same, and decided that she wanted to keep memories of Joel - most likely, Montauk.

That she kept some memories is kinda supported by her reaction to Frodo's recital of Joel's speech to her on the ice.

THRILLHO said:
Now, being a 'love' story, it's not hard to assume that Clementine went through the same, and decided that she wanted to keep memories of Joel - most likely, Montauk.
Ah! Clever explanation, I like it
Squack the reason she said 'Do I know you from somewhere?' was they met the previous day in the bookstore after she had had her memory erased, but before he had the job done on his (that's why he answered "no")

Isn't it that the "eternal sunshine" stays even when the mind is wiped blank?

like the love stays, like with the Kirsten Dunst character, despite the memories being erased?

and he associated love with Montauk, because that's where he met Clementine

ah I dunno, maybe he just want to look for clams

which he found, in a roundabout way!

it doesn't matter what she said, she was only a figment of his imagination. a part of the dreamlike state he was in.
thats what his subconsious decided her character should say.

perhaps the subconsious held on to little things? like dunst's love for howard, clem's disgust of frodo's speech...
maybe the montauk thing stuck too?

THRILLHO said:
does this shit have spoiler tags?
[edit: no it doesn't]

Well.. I took it that while getting his memory erased, Joel remembered all the things he loved about her, and in his memory, she told him to meet her in Montauk, where they first met.

That she kept some memories is kinda supported by her reaction to Frodo's recital of Joel's speech to her on the ice.
yes!

snakybus said:
Isn't it that the "eternal sunshine" stays even when the mind is wiped blank?

like the love stays, like with the Kirsten Dunst character, despite the memories being erased?

and he associated love with Montauk, because that's where he met Clementine

ah I dunno, maybe he just want to look for clams

which he found, in a roundabout way!
aye, but for the clams... i'd like to see that film again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back