Empire of shite (3 Viewers)

nlgbbbblth said:
I stopped buying Empire around 6 months ago.
Seriously downhill buzz in last couple of years.
It was at its peak from 1989 - 1993.

I've seen 47 of the movies on that list.
Great to see Two Lane Backdrop there.
so its been in decline for 12 years!

egg_ said:
I like Empire. for me they're the most reliable movie reviewers that I've ever come across

I find Hotdog, or Uncut magazine to be much better for reviews. Check 'em out, Eggman.

Empire gave Revenge of the Sith 4 or 5 stars and it's a pile of cack.

They tend to give good reviews to shit films sometimes and it is clearly because they don't want to offend some of the directors. They were kind to both The Terminal and (I defy you to think of a worse film) Love, Actually.

Wilbert said:
I've seen 37 of the films on that list. I saw Clerks again recently and it has aged spectacularly badly!

I cant imagine how bad the new one will be plus he is thinking of doing dogma 2 something tells me he ran out of ideas after chasing amy

nofriendo said:
I cant imagine how bad the new one will be plus he is thinking of doing dogma 2 something tells me he ran out of ideas after chasing amy

I'm not really sure he had more than one idea to begin with.

Didn't some director tell him that he had lowered the indie-cinema bar so low that it was like the Special Olympics now?

he's had a long running spat with Paul Thomas Anderson (boogie nights, magnolia), but don't know if that quote is attributed to him. kevin smith is pretty shit in my opinon. clerks is good, chasing amy was ok and the rest are just annoying.

I love Mallrats for the whole nostalgia thang, amy not bad clerks not bad. Not even going to dare to wach jersey girl. Wanted to sue the fucker after jay and silent bob strike back

nofriendo said:
I love Mallrats for the whole nostalgia thang, amy not bad clerks not bad. Not even going to dare to wach jersey girl. Wanted to sue the fucker after jay and silent bob strike back

I forgot about Jersey Girl. It's teeth-grindingly bad! There's even a scene where Affleck shouts at his daughter that he can't go to her play because he has a big interview in the city. Cut to many scenes of Affleck leaving the interview before it starts (after an inspirational chat with Will Smith!) and trying to get back in time to catch the end of the play!

Wilbert said:
I find Hotdog, or Uncut magazine to be much better for reviews. Check 'em out, Eggman.

Empire gave Revenge of the Sith 4 or 5 stars and it's a pile of cack.

They tend to give good reviews to shit films sometimes and it is clearly because they don't want to offend some of the directors. They were kind to both The Terminal and (I defy you to think of a worse film) Love, Actually.

I've been buying Empire since 1989 and the rot really has started to set in over the last couple of years. I've only just glanced at this month's issue, only to find that they rate Revenge of the Shit higher than Downfall. I tossed it aside in disgust. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back