Electronic Music not bloody Electronica (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ron
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2

ron

'Electronica' is an Americanism and I hate hate hate the word.

It's something they came up with years ago when they were trying to sell the so-called UK invasion ie Chem Brothers, Orbital etc.

Promoters and others who know their shit never use it.

Rant over.

I had a very long conversation with my dad one day trying to explain the differenc between dance music (the type of stuff you hear booming from boy racers car's) and electronic music.

It went on so long that I eventually gave up.

I'd usually use Electronic music as an umbrella term to decribe house, techno, d&b etc.. and I'd normally use electronica to describe that boring muck which some people describe as being intelligent dance music.

ron said:
'Electronica' is an Americanism and I hate hate hate the word.

It's something they came up with years ago when they were trying to sell the so-called UK invasion ie Chem Brothers, Orbital etc.

Promoters and others who know their shit never use it.

I disagree. Even though the term might have originated in the US as a catch-all marketing term, in Europe, it's come to mean something more specific, namely, electronic music that isn't so dancefloor-orientated. Roughly speaking, it's replaced the less politically correct terms "intelligent dance music" and "braindance".

I think most people "who know their shit" understand that. I could be wrong.

photon said:
I disagree. Even though the term might have originated in the US as a catch-all marketing term, in Europe, it's come to mean something more specific, namely, electronic music that isn't so dancefloor-orientated. Roughly speaking, it's replaced the less politically correct terms "intelligent dance music" and "braindance".

i agree. but it's still dead.

photon said:

That'd be my interpretation also, and I don't even know my shit at all these days.

photon said:

Enlightened and point taken.
I can't but hear the word in an Ameican twang and it's orrible.

Intelligent techno was the first catch all for the likes of Aphex, B12, autechre etc that I remember.
Seemed kinda wrong at the time.
Not sure when electronica was adopted but it probably came from this UK label:
http://www.discogs.com/label/New+Electronica
First I heard of IDM was from US kids on message boards - never took to the term - still think it's really stupid.
But hey, it's all techno to me :) and yeah - it's dead on it's feet at the mo with a few notable exceptions.

sure didnt the septics probably make up most of the music genres names
except jazz which comes from old irish people saying ceoil deas
im speaking thru my bum

at least it doesnt mix it up with house and trance like wobbler was saying
its all cobblers anyway

i bet the yanks made up rock and/or roll too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back