eBay question (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
herro. despite the fact it's been around a while, i only started using ebay a few months ago (and have only bought one camera so far).

My question is, sometimes when I bid on an item, I am immediately outbid by a few cent. I go to bid again a second later, and the same thing happens. Is that because the seller has some automated bidding thing going on to push the price up?

see if you can find a copy of this on there

13740203.JPG

herro. despite the fact it's been around a while, i only started using ebay a few months ago (and have only bought one camera so far).

My question is, sometimes when I bid on an item, I am immediately outbid by a few cent. I go to bid again a second later, and the same thing happens. Is that because the seller has some automated bidding thing going on to push the price up?

Nope, that's the way Ebay works.

When someone "bids" on an item your actually telling ebay the maximum your willing to pay for the item. So if something is currently at .99c and you enter 20 euros, your bid is .99c but the max bid you'll be willing to make is 20 euros. Anytime someone else comes along and says the max they'll pay is 5 euros, they'll get told by the system that someone else (you) is willing to pay more and so automatically outbids them to the next highest notch (usually 25c or 1euro) and this keeps going until the auction ends..

Hope that makes sense..

It's because someone else has a higher maximum bid entered so every time you bid it automatically outbids you...until you enter a maximum amount that is higher than theirs.

aaaaaaahhhhhh ok. that's a little annoying - particularly when it doesnt say what that high bid actually is.

think i may need that ebay for dummies :p

it's super annoying and leads to some prices being way over-inflated for stuff..That said ebay can be so addictive that you just end up spending way more money than you wanted just so you can bear someone else to it..

i could go bankrupt on ebay.

but i'll try not to :)

-thanks for all your advices, people. so just to clarify - if i bid (for example) 20 euro on something i may only end up having to pay 1 or 2 if no one else bids from the starting price?

decide exactly what you want to pay or the item in advance, place your bid as late as you can.

Thats the way to do it.

If you win it might still be less than your max.
If you lose it'll appear again.
although I bid €200 on a 7 inch before and got outbid in the end.I was subsequently very happy about it.

never bid on Ugg boots or GHD hair straighteners. or USB sticks.

although I bid €200 on a 7 inch before and got outbid in the end.I was subsequently very happy about it.

yeah, been there alright

If you're even a little bit smart though you'll realise there's a difference between a bargain and too good to be true (and 'police auctions' FFS)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back