east timor (2 Viewers)

i've been wondering the same thing. i do know that that darkened, almost burnt effect on the edges can be achieved through photoshop - if you look through the congo pictures some of them dont have that effect which would suggest that sometimes he processes his pics to achieve it. that said, im just guessing and will try and find out what his tricks are.

i've been wondering the same thing. i do know that that darkened, almost burnt effect on the edges can be achieved through photoshop - if you look through the congo pictures some of them dont have that effect which would suggest that sometimes he processes his pics to achieve it. that said, im just guessing and will try and find out what his tricks are.

hmmm...not so hot about that. whatever about 'artistic' photography, I think photojournalism, by it's very nature, has to be as 'real' as possible. Still though, I would not be surprised if he was able to achieve those images with traditional type trickery.

It's vignetting. I don't think it's a photoshop effect. It's probably down to the use of a wide aperture (I don't think he's using flash either - not in a war zone) and the lens he's using.

More about it here.

As usual, some great pics from him.

A less technical wiki entry here.

You can try using the largest aperture you have (preferably 2.8 or less if your lens can handle it) and then dialling in a minus 1 or 1.5 exposure for a quick and dirty example.

It's vignetting. I don't think it's a photoshop effect. It's probably down to the use of a wide aperture (I don't think he's using flash either - not in a war zone) and the lens he's using.

More about it here.

As usual, some great pics from him.

A less technical wiki entry here.

You can try using the largest aperture you have (preferably 2.8 or less if your lens can handle it) and then dialling in a minus 1 or 1.5 exposure for a quick and dirty example.

thanks, i've a bog standard lens which will only go to 4.5. let me get it right: underexpose at a wide aperture to get the vignetting appearance?

thanks, i've a bog standard lens which will only go to 4.5. let me get it right: underexpose at a wide aperture to get the vignetting appearance?

Well it depends on your lens. Vignetting is also more likely to happen with wide angle lenses (as well with wider apertures on those lenses). It's also more likely to happen with zoom (particularly digital zoom) lesnes than with primes, and with cheaper lenses than with expensive ones.

So if you lens is a zoom try going to the widest angle on it as well .....

hmmm...not so hot about that. whatever about 'artistic' photography, I think photojournalism, by it's very nature, has to be as 'real' as possible. Still though, I would not be surprised if he was able to achieve those images with traditional type trickery.

yeah, ignore what i said, i told you i was only guessing. i know fuck all about the technical side of photography!
im aware of the values of photojournalism as much as people like D out there dodging bullets. what goff described sounds more accurate, but i'll ask D when his facebook status doesn't say he's 'juat hanging in there'

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back