DVD Sales (1 Viewer)

Zeelander

Website
www.myspace.com
So anyways, can anyone recommend any spots with good DVD sales at the moment, with mention of the available titles and prices where applicable??

Xtravision has an alright sale on... Yesterday I got One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Butch Cassidy, and All The Presidents Men in the 3 for €30. Plus Shanghai Noon for 6 lids! I love Shanghai Noon- it's one of my favourite movies. :heart:

Generally i find HMV to be the best value shop in dublin for getting dvds, some stuff is obscenely overpriced but their sales which are pretty much constant tend to be very good if you're not looking for anything particularly unusual. They've got a 3 for 30 thing going on at the moment that has a fair bit of good stuff.

Ed said:
Generally i find HMV to be the best value shop in dublin for getting dvds, some stuff is obscenely overpriced but their sales which are pretty much constant tend to be very good if you're not looking for anything particularly unusual. They've got a 3 for 30 thing going on at the moment that has a fair bit of good stuff.
i was just going to mention HMV - i know in Canada they have the same deal (3 for 30, only we're paying $'s and not yo-yo's) and i assumed the sale might be worldwide.

HMV should be anally raped!

Any time they have stuff on sale, you'll find the same available on sale on t'internet.

The bastards.

Buy on t'internet.

therecklessone said:
HMV should be anally raped!

Any time they have stuff on sale, you'll find the same available on sale on t'internet.

The bastards.

Buy on t'internet.
so what's the difference then? is it cheaper on the net?

play is deadly, sendit can be good too. new laser on what ever street is also fairly good. Stan Bowles got Repo Man and ID for 12 quid each in there fairly recently.

www.sendit.com are very good, often cheap and don't charge postage to Ireland.
Firefly box that Wendy ordered cost £12.99, normally £35.

a bit slow but that doesn't matter that much - my last order took 8 days to arrive.

My biggest gripe with Irish shops is not the prices they charge (which are pretty bad in a lot of cases)
but
their REFUSAL to stock most of the stuff I want to buy.

examples
Hammer House Of Mystery and Suspense
Pete Walker Collection
Charley Says Vols 1 & 2
Quantum Leap [bar Tower]
Thriller
Twin Peaks [took 12 months to arrive into Dublin]
etc etc

"We can order it in for you" response doesn't just do it for me.
Either get the DVDs in on the day of release or else forget it.

People who want Brendan Grace or say X-Men DVDs can buy them without having to wait weeks for "orders" to come into the shops so why should any of the above be different?

either way - region 1 offers a far better selection at much cheaper prices.

The HMV 3 for 30 is pretty wicked, saw the double (or is it triple) of Once Upon A Time In America amongst other things in there. Will probably be picking a few things up tomorrow all going well.

The rest of the selection (in galway at leat) is shite, mind.

Lord Damian said:
so what's the difference then? is it cheaper on the net?

Yes.

You won't save a shed load over the HMV sale prices, but if its on sale in HMV, 99% of the time its on sale on the net. Its not HMV selling stuff of, its the movie companies reducing their prices to clear stock. So they do it across the board, not just in one shop or on one website.

I'll say this for HMV, their sales are good for reasonably priced impulse shopping.

Wickerman (directors cut) is going for eleven bills in HMV at the minute. Loads of good stuff still in the three for a tenner. Oh and i got The Dirt (motley crue) for six bucks aswell. Legend.

usually if something is on sale in hmv virgin or golden discs will have it too but in a different promotion..so it may be in buy one get one free in hmv but u can get it for 14 yo yo's in golden discs..if one chain gets it the rest usually do too..

and the reason for it taking stuff forever to get here isn't really any irish stores fault..the irish film censor board takes forever to pass stuff and it's illegal for stores over here to sell it, even if they can import it from one of their other stores..like the adam and joe and ross noble dvd's weren't certified for like a year after they were released in england..so you know you can't blame record stores for everything..god i sound like sucha wanky x record store managery person:rolleyes:

nlgbbbblth said:
www.sendit.com

My biggest gripe with Irish shops is not the prices they charge (which are pretty bad in a lot of cases)
but
their REFUSAL to stock most of the stuff I want to buy.

examples
Hammer House Of Mystery and Suspense
Pete Walker Collection
Charley Says Vols 1 & 2
Quantum Leap [bar Tower]
Thriller
Twin Peaks [took 12 months to arrive into Dublin]
etc etc

"We can order it in for you" response doesn't just do it for me.
Either get the DVDs in on the day of release or else forget it.

This really made me laugh. Do you think that many people would be interested in say the first three items on the list? They wouldn't be big sellers and as these shops have a finite amount of space on their shelves, I'm sure they would rather use that space for DVD's that are going to make money for them.

Unless I have misjudged the situation and there are Legions of Pete Walker and Charley Says fans out there who are being mistreated by the greedy retailers.

Wilbert said:
Unless I have misjudged the situation and there are Legions of Pete Walker and Charley Says fans out there who are being mistreated by the greedy retailers.
I got Charley Says in HMV a couple of years ago. It wasn't in there very long before I snatched it up and I've never seen it re-stocked. I didn't even know there was a volume 2.

True story.

Wilbert said:
This really made me laugh. Do you think that many people would be interested in say the first three items on the list? They wouldn't be big sellers and as these shops have a finite amount of space on their shelves, I'm sure they would rather use that space for DVD's that are going to make money for them.

You'd be surprised.
The likes of HMV in Dublin are the retailers I am getting at - plenty space on their shelves.

Aside from the certification delays (dubious excuse in a lot of cases) how do you explain HMVs in Belfast and various parts of England having ALL those DVDs I listed as soon as they are released? - while the one in Dublin doesn't bother its arse.

THRILLHO said:
I got Charley Says in HMV a couple of years ago. It wasn't in there very long before I snatched it up and I've never seen it re-stocked. I didn't even know there was a volume 2.

True story.

Volume 2 came out last month
You can get both discs on the one package for £10.99 on sendit

The menu/navigation system for Volume 1 is much improved too,

Lonely Water ad rocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back