dublins latest scene that celebrates itself (5 Viewers)

frambosenshmak

Website
Visit site
anyone catch todays THE TICKET supliment in the irish times

resident psychic journalist/antagonist [email protected] (mr n mrs @irish-times.ie must be so proud of their son) scribbles:

"hey wow its a happening. sound and vision extravaganza wonky returns to dublin later this month with more stars of stage and screen. what you'll actually experience over two days"(....see he's psychic i tells ya.....)"in the guinness storehouse should provoke much much chin-scratching, furrowed brows and even unintentional bouts of merriment" (.....value for money i say.......). "things to make you go hmmm"(......wow! he knows some music references.....) "include exhibitions, showcases, general faffing about and copious amounts of tuneless tomfoolery masquerading as outthere music from the usual capital city suspects. yet in the midst of the talent free zone which makes up dublins latest scene that celebrates itself, theres one act you should be quite happy to...."(....he goes on to praise fourtet with background to his music etc, as you do, then continues....)
"his presence at wonky should make for a wonderful evening and will hopefully also provoke questions about the rest of the line up-and not just the musical ones" (.....so whats wrong with the visual line up/installations? its all just a bit of fun.....). "just as the recent kicking against compilation of irish underground acts seemed to restrict its talent trawl to those serviced by dublin bus and ignored such female talents as gemma hayes, nina hynes anfd margaret healy, the reliance of a supposedly cutting-edge affair like wonky" (.....where in the wonky publicity does it say it is supposedly cutting-edge?....) "on the same old faces and same old sounds is deeply alarming. it shows that certain things have not been learned by irish rocks past mishaps and that cosy cliques are still very much in vogue. being a local hero is easy. going for global gold is another matter."

somebody give this man a ticket i think he missed the last one:)
ahh bitterness and begrudgery the staple of bad irish journalism!bog

There's plenty o' praise written about the current bands around Dublin. You can't complain when you get the opposite.
Considering he's friends with Leagues - or at least, still is, I assume - it's more impressive that he was willing to write what he thought.

That said, Gemma Hayes and Nina Hynes?
His taste must be up his hole anyroad.

I can see his point in some respects (more the stuff near the end), but the writer has taken it to extremes, I'd like to read the full artical mind you. I bet Leagues used to bully him at school.

yet in the midst of the talent free zone which makes up dublins latest scene that celebrates itself

now thats cold, if anyone wants revenge I'm guessing you'll find him at slane, uhhh.

Originally posted by old
There's plenty o' praise written about the current bands around Dublin. You can't complain when you get the opposite.
Considering he's friends with Leagues - or at least, still is, I assume - it's more impressive that he was willing to write what he thought.

That said, Gemma Hayes and Nina Hynes?
His taste must be up his hole anyroad.

The Gemma Hayes album is actually very very good, I won it at the Xfm thingy, and I was quite surprised at how much I like it. Never would;ve bought it like.

thats all

I'm don't entirely disagree with him. Wonky is a brilliant event though, although it's more or less the same acts as before.

It is typical to assume that if it's foreign it's got to be better. I think the Rednecks and the Dudleys are two genuinely class bands that, if they were from London or Chicago, Mr. Carroll would say they were brilliant. Personally, I think the Daemian Frost are fucking brilliant and are my favourite Dublin band.

But events like Wonky are only going to have a limited effect. Whether bands like it or not, "cutting edge" music has only a limited appeal and it's possibly a case that the audience for this type of music in Dublin is not going to increase that much. It's about time that this scene was promoted in Europe, Britain and America.

I think that an event that could do this is the deaf2002 (or next year's one).......

Hmph....

Originally posted by Unclealo
A good point. Where are the *Good* female bands/ artists? Actually where are the (partially at least) female bandsChallets/ Playground Psychotic? :confused:

The Chalets are playing.
Other than that, it's fairly female-less.
One in the Jummy Cake and Last Post.

Aren't many female band members though, are there?
Should be more.

There's a female in the Jimmy Cake????

er, yes. me.

maybe i should start making my contribution to the band more noticeably "womanly". there's still time before the mixing of the album to add some chanting about my uterus....

Originally posted by minka

er, yes. me.

maybe i should start making my contribution to the band more noticeably "womanly". there's still time before the mixing of the album to add some chanting about my uterus....

you could instigate a mass ovulation among the female wonky goers.

Originally posted by Dan
Excuse my ignorance, but whats,when and how is deaf2002?? Is it something like sxsw??

dublin electronic arts festival. electronic music festival planned for around september hopefully. it should be quite great when it happens.

Originally posted by minka
there's still time before the mixing of the album to add some chanting about my uterus....

I'll add some to 'Superlady' this afternoon if I get a chance....

Originally posted by herv

dublin electronic arts festival. electronic music festival planned for around september hopefully. it should be quite great when it happens.

I was chatting to one of the girls who is running this. I think it's Dublin Distribution who are behind it. It's going to be on at the end of October, and it's sounds like it'll be great.....

Not all details can be revealed though!!

I'd like to see it develop into something of an international event over the next few years....

Originally posted by herv

Late October, actually...many lovely tings in the pipeline.
Big press releases to follow in the next few weeks.

here herv, drop us line there. i need times and dates, ya hear me TIMES AND DATES.

Originally posted by billygannon

I was chatting to one of the girls who is running this. I think it's Dublin Distribution who are behind it. It's going to be on at the end of October, and it's sounds like it'll be great.....

Not all details can be revealed though!!

I'd like to see it develop into something of an international event over the next few years....

aren't dublin distribution gone down the twirly wirleys though?

That ticket article sounds reactionary for the sake of it.
Though why they let a dance music correspondent cover it I don't know.
He's been tearing his hair out trying to get his hands on Uptown Racquet demos tough and they're playing, so I think he's a big stupid liar. Or having fun...

Originally posted by old

The Chalets are playing.
Other than that, it's fairly female-less.
One in the Jummy Cake and Last Post.

Aren't many female band members though, are there?
Should be more.

True. There should be more females doin stuff. But hang on, giv'em a chance.....they've just figured out how to look alot better than they did ten years ago. So with this new found confidence they should be kickin ass within the next Five or six years. Bangles everywhere!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back