Dublin Film Festival 2010 (1 Viewer)

These caught my eye
Life During Wartime is a Todd Solondz film.
Hipsters is not set in Brooklyn.

Show name: Dogtooth

Venue: Cineworld - Cineworld 9
Showing Date: February 24, 2010
Showing time: 21:00

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Show name: Enter The Void

Venue: Lighthouse Cinema Smithfield - Light House Screen 1
Showing Date: February 19, 2010
Showing time: 20:00

Show name: Hipsters

Showing Date: February 24, 2010
Showing time: 18:30

Show name: Life During Wartime

Venue: Cineworld - Cineworld 17
Showing Date: February 20, 2010
Showing time: 14:00

Show name: Meeting Room

Showing Date: February 21, 2010
Showing time: 15:30

Show name: Morphia

Venue: Lighthouse Cinema Smithfield - Light House Screen 2
Showing Date: February 23, 2010
Showing time: 20:15

Show name: Mother

Showing Date: February 19, 2010

Show name: One Hundred Mornings

Venue: Screen Cinema - Screen 1
Showing time: 16:30

Show name: Orlando

Showing Date: February 21, 2010
Showing time: 13:00

Show name: Revanche (Revenge)

Showing Date: February 27, 2010
Showing time: 20:50

Show name: Russian Ark

Venue: National Gallery
Showing Date: February 26, 2010
Showing time: 18:00

Show name: Everybody's Fine

Showing time: 20:30

Kenneth anger retrospective looks like something I'd have to go for. But what is this shit of dividing the retrospectives into three one hour slots 10€ each? It's already annoying to have a festival be more expensive than non-festival screenings, but this is just taking the piss.

Kenneth anger retrospective looks like something I'd have to go for. But what is this shit of dividing the retrospectives into three one hour slots 10€ each? It's already annoying to have a festival be more expensive than non-festival screenings, but this is just taking the piss.

You're not wrong, Doc
It is wildly expensive.

For what it's worth you should sign up to their mailing list though.
Last year they had a bunch of stuff that sold poorly get offered in 2 for 1 deals etc.

Jesus thats scandalous....

Thats more than the budget of some of the films..

D. Clarke's take on things

Beginning with a screening of Jordan’s Ondine (which the star, a certain Mr C Farrell, is expected to attend) this year’s JDiff takes in new films by the likes of Werner Herzog, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese and Tim Burton. Mind you, the greatest pleasure in any film festival is the discovery of gems by hitherto obscure film-makers. We, thus, should also mention you can also catch new work by one Urszula Antoniak and from Mr Bobby Paunescu. Just dive in.

The best of the fest: Donald Clarke’s sneak preview

ONDINE

The opening film of the festival lures two longtime friends of the event back to the Savoy cinema. Neil Jordan’s Ondine, made during a period of inactivity following the Hollywood writers’ strike, stars Colin Farrell as a Cork fisherman who catches a mysterious young woman in his net. Is she a mermaid?

Savoy 1, Thursday, Feb 18, 7.30pm

TRIBUTE TO MICHAEL DWYER

In honour of the festival’s founder, an eclectic series of films – all championed by Michael – will be screened throughout the 10 days. The varied programme includes the massive Italian epic The Best of Youth (Michael’s favourite film of the last decade), Oliver Stone’s uncharacteristically focused Salvador, and Stephen Frears’s groundbreaking My Beautiful Laundrette.

Various venues

HIS & HERS

Already building up a formidable reputation, Ken Wardrop’s hugely original feature debut (selected for the Sundance Film Festival) listens to a selection of women from the Irish midlands as they discuss the men in their lives. The odd thing is they all seem to be talking about the same person. A great career looms for the Irish documentarian.

Screen 1, Friday, Feb 19, 6.40pm

ORPHANAGE

An orphan film is one that no longer officially belongs to any individual or corporate entity. This intriguing event – Installation? Exhibition? – will put a number of the oddest orphan films before visitors to a specially designed space at Cultivate on Saint Andrews Street. Savour such curious delights as a Turkish Wizard of Oz and a North Korean Godzilla.

Cultivate at The Greenhouse, St Andrews Street, runs throughout festival

ENTER THE VOID

Gasper Noë’s enormously long, defiantly unhinged follow-up to Irréversible caused more heads to be scratched than any other film at last year’s Cannes. Featuring the expected dollops of sex and violence, the picture does, nonetheless, sound like an unmissable experience for fans of the transgressive French director.

Light House, Friday, Feb 19, 8pm

KENNETH ANGER SEASON

The granddaddy of experimental raunch, the key documenter of Hollywood Babylon, the supremo of leather-clad naughtiness, visits Dublin for a very welcome retrospective of his hugely influential films. Hosted in cooperation with the Irish Film Institute, the season features a talk from the great man (who turns 83 next Wednesday) following a screening of such classics as Lucifer Rising and Invocation of My Demon Brother.

IFI, various times

CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY

Whether you love Michael Moore or regard him as an unreliable blowhard, there is no denying that each new release constitutes a significant event in the film calendar. His latest quasi-documentary finds Moore tackling the causes of and potential solutions to the recent economic meltdown. Expect superlative montage.

Savoy 1, Saturday, Feb 20 , 11am

LIFE DURING WARTIME

Steady there, you fans of grim, postmodern squirm-drama. The unique Todd Solondz has delivered a sequel to his impressively horrid 1998 masterpiece, Happiness. With predictable unpredictability, Todd has recast all the roles – sometimes with actors who look nothing like the original players. It’s always wartime in Solondzland.

Cineworld 17, Saturday, Feb 20th, 2pm

ONE HUNDRED MORNINGS

A novel take on the post- apocalyptic genre, Conor Horgan’s Irish drama follows a bickering pair of couples in a remote cabin as they attempt to get to grips with shortages and discomfort. More Harold Pinter than Mad Max, the film has been gathering good buzz since its premiere at the Galway Film Fleadh.

Screen 1, Saturday, Feb 20th, 4.30pm

CHLOE

Atom Egoyan’s latest finds Julianne Moore hiring young Amanda Seyfried to test the fidelity of husband Liam Neeson. Based on a script by Erin Cressida Wilson (Secretary), Chloe promises to get Egoyan back to the saucy, tricky form of early works such as Exotica . Screen 1, Sunday, Feb 21st, 9pm

LA DOLCE VITA: NINO ROTA FILM MUSIC

David Brophy conducts the DIT Symphony Orchestra in a tribute to one of the greatest of all film composers. The National Concert Hall will swell to the melodic strains of melodies from such adored films as 8 ½, The Leopard, La Dolce Vita and – the score that won Rota the Oscar – Francis Ford Coppola’s imperishable The Godfather.

Cineworld 17, Monday, February 22nd, 8.30pm

BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS

Okay, just what is this thing? Though it shares some of its title with that of Abel Ferrara’s superbly deranged Bad Lieutenant, Werner Herzog’s latest, starring Nicolas Cage as a loopy cop, is, apparently, neither a sequel nor a remake. Whatever, it sounds absolutely delicious.

Cineworld 17, Monday, Feb 22nd, 8.30pm

COLONY

Carter Gunn and Ross McDonnell examine the decline in bee populations in recent years and allow us to draw some sobering conclusions about the future of the planet. Rather gorgeously made, the picture is a co-production from Fastnet Films and the Irish Film Board.

Screen 1, Tuesday, Feb 23rd, 8.30pm

DOGTOOTH

Winner of the Un Certain Regard award at Cannes, this weird, disturbing Greek film has already established a significant cult following. Offering uneasy echoes of certain recent news stories, the picture concerns a father who keeps his daughters isolated from an outside world he describes as being impossibly dangerous. Nice and queasy.

Cineworld 9, Wednesday, Feb 24th, 9pm

SHUTTER ISLAND

Martin Scorsese fans have been slavering to see the great man’s adaptation of Dennis Lehane’s crime novel ever since it was kicked back from a planed autumn release. It’s finally here. If the deranged trailer is any guide, the flick – starring Leonardo DiCaprio in a good hat – should be a hoot.

Cineworld 17, Thursday, Feb 25th, 8.40pm

EYES WITHOUT A FACE

Impossibly welcome screening of one the great, undervalued horror films on its 50th anniversary. Directed by Georges Franju, the picture details a mad scientist’s efforts to repair his daughter’s damaged face. Many die in the process.

Light House, Friday, Feb 26th, 6pm

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

Before Hollywood woke up to the galloping success of Stieg Larsson’s feminist crime novel, Swedish film- maker Niels Arden Oplev managed to get this crafty adaptation off the ground. Larsson’s many enthusiasts will want to get on board before the picture is remade with the likes of Jessica Alba. It could happen.

Savoy 1, Saturday, Feb 27th, 11am

DUBLIN FILM CRITICS CIRCLE AWARDS

Should you be interested, this writer will join his colleagues to name our picks for the best films and performances of the festival. This year, a special award for the most impressive breakthrough has been named in honour of Michael Dwyer. The event, which should have starry presence, is free to attend.

IFI, Saturday, Feb 27th, 6.30pm

PARTIR

The climax of the festival’s Kristen Scott Thomas season finds the great lady playing a housewife who escapes her unhappy marriage, only to encounter even greater catastrophes. Equally adept in French or English, Scott Thomas, who will attend the screening, pulls on her Gallic hat (beret?) for admired director Catherine Corsini.

Cineworld 17, Saturday, Feb 27th, 6.40pm

WHATEVER WORKS

It’s a Woody Allen film starring the great Larry David as a grumpy (you don’t say!) nuclear physicist who once came close to winning the Nobel Prize. Now he spends his time hating people. What’s not to like? Even Allen’s least successful projects feature moments of transcendence. Whatever Works should be no exception.

Savoy 1, Sunday, Feb 28th, 11am

ALICE IN WONDERLAND 3-D

The combination of Tim Burton and Lewis Carroll sounds like a marriage made in some particularly freaky version of camp heaven. A kind of sequel to Carroll’s metaphysical fantasies, the picture stars (you’re way ahead of me) Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter and (once again) Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen.

Savoy 1, Sunday, Feb 28th, 2pm

SURPRISE FILM

If you are a film festival regular, you hardly need to be told that this is the hottest ticket of the entire event. You may get a racy blockbuster such as 300. You may get something a little more eccentric such as Hamlet 2. Nothing quite beats the atmosphere when the curtains finally sweep open.

Savoy 1, Sunday, Feb 28th, 5pm

I AM LOVE

Lavish, highly praised Italian film focusing on the discontents of a wealthy family as they gather to celebrate the birthday of the ruling patriarch. Star Tilda Swinton, key catalyst for the inevitable tensions, will be at the Savoy to wave at the crowd and close the festival in lofty, Caledonian style.

Savoy 1, Sunday, Feb 28th, 8pm

i'm going to take in 4 films on the 27th.

Show name: Vincere

Showing time: 14:00
Show name: Shameless (Nestyda)

Showing time: 16:10

Show name: Savage

Show name: A Prayer For The Wind Horse

Showing time: 20:30

------

the main reason i'm doing it all on the one day is i'm not in dublin and i don't drive.

anyone been to the surprise films previous years? what they play?

I used to go mad with the Film Festival years ago and always took in the Surprise Film. Once it was The Usual Suspects which was obviously a great one. Saw Bugsy (isn't that what it's called .. with Warren Beaty). The Jacket with Adrian Brody. It's usually fairly mainstream fare and obviously a bit hit and miss ... but ... it's a good buzz. The nice thing about it is that, unless you are an uber-cinema nerd and know everything there is to know about every single upcoming release you are watching something totally blind with no preconceptions about what the film is going to be like.

anyone been to the surprise films previous years? what they play?

Michael Dwyer's last year (3 festivals ago) it was 300, its first screening anywhere.
Like Hugh said, very few people were even aware of the movie and it went down a treat.

The last two years, under Gráinne Humphreys, have been a bit of a mixed bag.
The Escapist was a better than decent prison escape film.
Last year was Hamlet 2, which I personally thought was a bit of a gyp, as it was way past its US release and available on DVD already.
She is more of a pure cineaste than Dwyer and definitely seems to have shied away from big release movies.
Last year I got the impression she really couldn't care less about the surprise flick.

For me

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ENTER THE VOID
Light House, Friday, Feb 19, 8pm

Gasper Noe is up their with Haneke, Tillsammans, and Korine.

And
KENNETH ANGER SEASON

I can wait for all of the other films to come out in general release in a month or so when its not 10er a go.

That's what Neil Jordon gets from taking his daughter's advice. "Dad, this rocks...make this movie!" Ooftastic.

I bet his daughter didn't suggest that it should be a 2-hour underwear catalogue. I'd say that was all daddy.

I can't stress how much any enjoyment of this movie hinges on the viewer's enjoyment of watching Colin Farrell's missus in her cacks.

I booked tickets for Bad Lieutenant in Cineworld. Can I pick up the tickets there or do I have to get them from Filmbase beforehand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back