Dual Monitors problem (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
My second monitor works on start up but when the login screen appears it gives the "signal not detected" message

I have a VGA splitter connection at the back

It was working fine until I re-installed windows so it might be a driver issue but the (Windows XP) PC says the driver is functioning correctly

What is making it lose the signal once the log in screen appears?

I've looked online but got bogged down in jargon and suggestions to change hardware.

Any ideas?

maybe you need to lower the display resolution in windows, sounds like the monitor that you are having problems with is not able to display the display resolution that windows is currently set at.....

I'll investigate that, thanks Stee. Thing is I had it working before I had the PC serviced. It took a bit of fiddling but I got it working..if only I could remember how.

no worries johnny, sounds like a display res problem to me.... does the problematic monitor work ok if it is the only one connected to the computer??

Yeah, the monitor is fine. It works as the thing is booting up but loses the signal once the login screen appears. As it works in safe mode you could be on to something with the res suggestion. I'll check tomorrow. Thanks

300px-SVGA_port.jpg

swap the yokes around.

that was how i 'fixed' the dual monitors at work once.

when the computer is booting up, both monitors are getting the same picture from the PC. When windows starts, the XP preferences are set to treat one as primary and one as secondary with your desktop stretched across both, or to mirror the same desktop on both displays, or to only use one display.

How To Configure and Use Multiple Monitors in Windows XP

but pete, he is using a vga splitter, so xp will only think there is one monitor connected??

well i'm working on the assumption that he previously had a two display setup, each displaying a different picture.

anyway i'd be looking at video card driver updates if it were me

It's the same setup I had before the service. I don't understand why I'd need new anything

well i'm working on the assumption that he previously had a two display setup, each displaying a different picture.

anyway i'd be looking at video card driver updates if it were me

This is correct. Two monitors, two displays. I'm wary of updating drivers. I updated my Wacom drivers and it fucked everything up. I had to do a system restore.

But I'll have another go tomorrow night

Thanks

So the IT guy in works also says it's likely a resolution issue.

Thing is when i select Monitor 2 and drag the settings bar, click OK or Apply..it immediately resets itself to its default size without applying the changes

Is there a way to force it to accept the change?

So I ticked the "extend desktop across monitors " box and it's displaying

I can't get it to re-size properly size but at least there's life

FUCK it

It'll do

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back