Drivers Ed. - Handbrake on hill-start at junction? (2 Viewers)

are you's getting lessons?? instructor should know this. everyone ever needs driving
lessons.

Yeah I've had a few, intermittently, but hillstarts haven't been covered yet.
I got my provisional just before the new "you must have x amount of lessons" rule came in.

In a test scenario you dont have to pull the hand break everytime you stop cept for stop signs and hills then you do. If you are going to be stopped for anything over about 3 secs then pull the handbrake.

Changing a clutch generally means dropping/lifting the engine out, hence the cost... 500 is a bit steep unless its a merc or bmw

I can also drive anything with a motor and wheels... especially 2 and 4 wheels

True - I use it all times when stopping at lights. If I was paused momentarily at a YIELD sign I wouldn't use it.

I'm only learning to drive now too and I have to get into the habit of using the handbreak everytime I stop. I think I'll pay for a lesson soon just to see what bad habits I've picked up.

I've been really proud of my hill starts til a few weeks ago I cut out on a 45 degree angle hill. It was tough.

Also when you having an old can or 2 when you're going for a drive, is it proper procedure to have a passenger open your karpackie?

I can't believe I'm learning to drive at this stage in life but I've loving it. Great buzz.

I was walking down a street in Newbridge a couple of weeks back and saw a very nervous learner driver stopped at the lights. Window open but he was sweating. Hands appeared to be gripping the wheel very tightly.

Two "salt of the earth" types shouted at him "TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH". He looked at them, did it and the car promptly cut out. Then the lights went green. He got flustered and tried to start the car in first gear - it jumped forward and cut out again - nearly hit a pedestrian crossing the road in front of him. Horns started blaring - must have taken him nearly five minutes to get going.

I broke down on a busy roundabout once. Fucking nightmare. Had to push it off to the side, on my own, cars beeping everywhere.

that's one thing that learner drivers get too nervous about - the drivers behind. fuck 'em if they think the 10 seconds you may have delayed them is the most important 10 seconds they've ever lived.

that's one thing that learner drivers get too nervous about - the drivers behind. fuck 'em if they think the 10 seconds you may have delayed them is the most important 10 seconds they've ever lived.

This is very true (for me anyways)..

Messed up a hill start yesterday - thats what I get for boasting about my Hill start expertise.

Plus one to that. On the rare occasion when I've cut out on a hill start in traffic, I might give a lift/wave of the left hand to the car behind as i reach for the keys, but I'm never going to break a sweat over it.

I broke down on a busy roundabout once. Fucking nightmare. Had to push it off to the side, on my own, cars beeping everywhere.

spas. if one person got out and helped then they all would and it woulda been all 'got team!!' and stuff. spas.

well in fairness i wrote my last car by rear ending someone. so long as i exist, be nervous as fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back