Don't ever play a gig without an agreed price (1 Viewer)

ann post

Solutions
Whoever this is they've framed the discussion better than I ever have here:

Jaysus it's pretty disappointing when Irish music industry people can see a room of people where literally everyone except the musician is being properly paid and say "this is normal and fine". It might be normal but it's definitely not fine

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
A band I was in once played Ventry. It took hours to get there (from Dublin). Then there was setting up, sound checking, waiting around to play the gig, taking down the gear again etc. We got accommodation but it took most the next day to get back home again too. I assume Dingle is about the same distance away? We did the sums afterwards, and although we got an ok fee we calculated that it simply was not worth the effort for 5 people to take 2 days out of their lives for a gig down there. Now, to do all that fro €150? Fuck that.

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
Yea, I remember doing the maths after Hot Colossus played in Sligo. It was a bit mad and kind of "not worth it". But then again, bands want to be a playin'. What's the alternative? Sitting at home watching Netflix again. No one got rich from that gig.

IFF

Supporter

*googles "rubber bandits song movie soundtrack"*

I was at soccer mommy in the grand social in September. Before death by chocolate, She said having music on sale in the merchandise table.

She was not impressed by the person who shouted that they could just listen to it on Spotify. She then talked about how people don't value music anymore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads