Don DeLillo (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 1
The best thing I've read by him is his first novel 'Endzone'. Came out in '69. I don't think I've read anything to match the intensity of it. White Noise completely falls apart in the last segment - the prose becomes too dense and you're left not even wanting to finish it. Shame it's such a thrilling read up until then. Americana is just far too ambitious, but I don't regret reading, particularily being such a film geek.

One thing going for his novels is the characters and dialogue (frequently hilarious).

Oh I forgot about 'Great Jones Street'. Another great De Lillo read.

Re: '9/11 fiction' has anyone read Paul Auster's 'The Brooklyn Follies'? An odd book that left me frustrated & baffled.

Oh I forgot about 'Great Jones Street'. Another great De Lillo read.

Re: '9/11 fiction' has anyone read Paul Auster's 'The Brooklyn Follies'? An odd book that left me frustrated & baffled.
I liked it a lot when I read it. Think I've blocked out nearly everything I ever knew about Paul Auster though. A friend of mine did his masters thesis on post-9/11 literature actually. he ended up decided that open spaces were
[FONT=&quot] the possible future direction for post 9/11 prose, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]as both an apotropaic defense to postmodern circuitry through fictive Utopias and as a means of progressively facilitating 9/11 in contemporary literature[/FONT]
whatever that means. He probably got a first.

Read Point Omega last night - didn't get it, didn't really like it. If i had seen the words "metaphysical meditation" on the back I would never have started it but I prefer not to read the back before i read the book. Of all the things I dislike without understanding metaphysics is up there near the top of the list. I don't actually know if this book contained any metaphysics or not because I don't know what the word refers to.

Ha, just finished Libra today and then this thread pops up. Weird. Love Delillo, White Noise is probably my favourite novel. Underworld is amazing too. Libra is great, Lee Harvey Oswald makes for one amazing character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back