Does vinyl sound better? (3 Viewers)

true. it would all be about the A/D conversion to take advantage.

I think i only mentioned it because i've been recording my album in 48khz rather than 44.

The trick there of course is that you'll eventually go back to 44.1 and once it's mastered a lot of the benefits are negligible.

There's a great challenge online that no one has ever successfully beaten, wherein people try and consistently differentiate (across many iterations) if something is a very HQ mp3 or a CD. No one can consistently.

A few people can sometimes hear a difference maybe, but then that devolves into taste issues, as no one can agree with of the minuscule and possibly phantom differences is "better". ;)

And btw: the people that CAN MAYBE hear a difference are engineers and are listening on proper gear in treated rooms. I have very expensive monitors and a treated room and can't hear anything I'd care about.

Last edited:
CDs don't support 48 and neither do many MP3 players.

If you're just planning on distributing digitally and don't mind that someone else is doing the 48>44.1 conversion then fine.

But if you're gonna burn a CD at any point, you'll have to down sample to 44.1/16bit.
CDs don't support 48 and neither do many MP3 players.

If you're just planning on distributing digitally and don't mind that someone else is doing the 48>44.1 conversion then fine.

But if you're gonna burn a CD at any point, you'll have to down sample to 44.1/16bit.

wow this is like all a revelation to me and in 17 years of recording i never thought of it.

wow this is like all a revelation to me and in 17 years of recording i never thought of it.
Sorry if it's bad news :)

In fairness once it's mastered the difference between 48/44.1 and 24/16 bits is extremely negligible.

What don't really want to be doing is converting the same file repeatedly, as that CAN cause audible differences of the nasty type.

Best bet - so say many engineers - is to do two things, if possible:

Record the same thing at 44.1 and 48 (for example). Play then back blindly and see if you can REALLY hear a QUALITY difference.

If you think you can, and REALLY wanna record HiRes then try 88 instead of 48, as it down samples to 44.1 more "purely" many believe.

But.

Honestly.

Unless you think that people can really hear it, don't bother. Really.

If I listened to something after reading this thread, it would undoubtedly sound shit because I am bored and sad from this thread.

But when I bought that new pressing of the Coachwhips' 'hands on controls' last week and put it on record player while drinking a cold can of beer and dancing with the Ms, it just sounded fucking amazing. Weird.

If I listened to something after reading this thread, it would undoubtedly sound shit because I am bored and sad from this thread.

But when I bought that new pressing of the Coachwhips' 'hands on controls' last week and put it on record player while drinking a cold can of beer and dancing with the Ms, it just sounded fucking amazing. Weird.

Yeah but if you had a .flac of it and stuck it on while sinking a brewskie and foxtrotting with your better half you might have through it sounded even more amazing. :)

I buy vinyl and get the whole romanticism of it, but If its full of pops & crackle It can piss off. That's vinyl's achilles heel for me. I still love good sounding CDs and I buy way more of them. They're hassle free and low maintenance.

I buy vinyl and get the whole romanticism of it, but If its full of pops & crackle It can piss off. That's vinyl's achilles heel for me. I still love good sounding CDs and I buy way more of them. They're hassle free and low maintenance.

CDs are basically dead. The only thing keeping them alive is the fact that there's no agreement on what should replace them, and in the vacuum, so called streaming is becoming the new choice for the majority.

But it's quality is dependent on many factors unrelated to file format... Making this whole discussion kinda so 2009.

A thing I love about CDs is I can buy them new or secondhand with complete confidence that their will but no pops or loud crackle, no hidden scratches waiting to be discovered, no warping, no degeneration of sound quality. Having said that when I get a great sounding secondhand record it's a small victory and a minor buzz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back