Does anyone want to talk about the Spar "reward" card? (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
I realise this is the most boringest thing ever, (and that broken arm; would probably have had a seizure at the thought of anyone being suckered into one of these schemes; lets leave that aside for now) but I picked up a leaflet for Spar's loyalty / reward card a few days ago and I'm still a bit bemused by it.

In return for handing over your personal info & allowing them to track your every purchase to aid their direct marketing, you get:

- no "boring" reward points earned on purchases
- a card that functions as a debit card and can be pre-loaded with cash. But you can only spend the cash in the shop you put the cash on in.
- you can earn freebies (5th coffee free etc) but they only accumulate within a single shop.
- occasional non-specific discounts for card holders

Well sign me up.

I mean I get that they're probably mostly independently owned & managed operations which obviously puts limits on transferring balances between shops - but in this day & age couldn't they at least try to centralise some of this shit?

/End middle aged post of the day

That sounds unbelievably shite alright.

And if it was any use at all I'd know about it,cos old Dr.Love senior has the whole loyalty card scene boxed off.Has em all he does.

He could go on telly with that shit.

http://myspar.spar.ie/

- Free birthday gift
- No minimum age limit*

From the T&C's, the exception with the age limit is:
7. We welcome customers of all ages to apply for Club membership. We will not, however, send details of any offers electronically to Members under 18 years of age. It is the responsibility of all applicants to be truthful and honest in respect of all details provided in their application, particularly in relation to their date of birth. This is to ensure that we fully comply, amongst other things, with our data protection obligations and corporate social responsibility policies.

Didn't realise data protection had anything to do with age but I'm guessing they're using the under 18 rule so they can send out alcohol promotions.

I had one of those swipe yokes and I used to use it. One time the assistant asked if I wanted to pay using the credit I'd accumulated...I had no idea I had so I said yes, thinking this is pretty good

But it never happened again and I don't know how it works so I just gave up using it

true story

we have a morrisons miles card

"Once you’ve collected 5000 points on a single card, by purchasing 500 litres of fuel, we’ll give you a £5 shopping voucher to spend in store."

fantastic.

i know people who will drive an extra three miles to save 1c per litre on petrol. those three miles probably cost them an extra 50c to save about 0.6% on the cost of the petrol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back