ditching the smartphone (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
Hey, I'm seriously thinking of ditching my smartphone when I'm out of contract. Is it even possible to get something like those old nokia bricks for calls and texts? I reckon I can function grand with one of those for when I'm out and need contacting. Meanwhile my iphone can live on as an ipod touch, what with the imessages and stuff it'll work fine just using wifi.

I bought one of these for my Dad a while back in a Vodafone store. Brand called Doro. Seems pretty good. I think it cost about 30 quid. You just stick your regular SIM card into it and off you go. Seriously thinking of getting one for when I go on holidays. Won't spend all my time looking at the Internet or updating people on my oh-so-exciting activities .... but can still text etc.

You can get a basic text and call phone I think some of the supermarkets might have them for even cheaper than the phone store

carrierpigeonlarge.jpg

Does an iphone do things without a sim? Androids brick without them i think.

iPhone just becomes a slightly slower iPod, with better battery life... at least if my bloke's is anything to go by.

I left it too long to upgrade... only options available are smartphones or phones for grandparents. I don't want a mini tablet, but I do want a phone with a half decent camera and the ability to play music (basically I fell in love with pre smartphone Sony Ericsson offerings). First world problems

i got a samsung GT E1200 for £3.99 year before last

it both sends and receives calls and texts and battery lasts more than a week which is pretty much exactly what i want from a phone. partner has an iphone i can never fucking reach him on because the battery's always dead or dying.

I had a look at the Doro, it seems cool but still has data capabilities. If I was going to do this I'd go the whole hog and try to get a plan that doesn't include data. I'm on this vodafone RED thing at the moment, that's €35 a month I could do without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back