Display adapter and Vista problem (1 Viewer)

Mormon Nailer

Supporter
Website
skin-of-our-teeth.blogspot.com
I got a shiny new Del laptop for work.

Every so often the screen blanks and a second later comes back along with a with a message along the lines of "you display adaptor encountered and error and has recovered"

If I look in device manager it says everything is honky dory.

There is nothing unusual about the PC - Core 2 Duo, Vista Business, Office - It does have 4 Gig of RM though - would that be the problem - it sounds an awful lot!

Any answers
It's driving me nuts and I don't want to go through the hassle of sending the machine back if I can avoid it.

i fucking hate vista. games actually run slower than on xp. and a million warning messages a minute. and you cant delete some files cause of user privileges even though you own the fucking thing. i fucking hate vista.:)

Every so often the screen blanks and a second later comes back along with a with a message along the lines of "you display adaptor encountered and error and has recovered"

There is nothing unusual about the PC - Core 2 Duo, Vista Business, Office - It does have 4 Gig of RM though - would that be the problem - it sounds an awful lot!

Any answers
It's driving me nuts and I don't want to go through the hassle of sending the machine back if I can avoid it.

In these cases I just try reinstalling the driver. It normally does the trick.

Any answers
some application you're running isn't quite vista compatible. like mr bladez says, stick the latest version of the display driver on and see if it improves.

Vista is just way nicer to use - it's just so much more polished. A much better user experience all round.

All the complaints about security dialogs are a bit funny...

its a hog on resources too, cpu, processor etc.

Vista is just way nicer to use - it's just so much more polished. A much better user experience all round.

All the complaints about security dialogs are a bit funny...

it certainy looks better - I'm still not convinced though - perhaps I'll be singing a different tune in 6 months - but right now I feel like Bill Gates personal lab rat.

OK

After much fucking about Dell seem to think it's the fact that the machine is running 64 bit Vista as opposed to 32 Bit Vista is the problem.

Does that sound right to anyone?

The processor is a Centrino Duo so isn't 64 Bit supposed to be the thing for it.

Anyone have an opinion before I agree to them reinstalling.

Seems a shame to be installing a 32bit OS on a 64bit system though

I've been running 32bit ubuntu for about a year now, not much noticeable difference between it and the 64 bit version I had on it before imho. I think I may have tried the 64 bit windows at some point but I can't be sure. It's defo 32bit windows on my pc now though.

Well the fucker died completely this morning.
It will only work on an external monitor and doesn't recognise it has a screen at all.

There has been much fucking around with Dell too - they have gone done hugely in my estimation.

dell customer service sucks balls. coupled with vista and it's a shit sandwich, of which you will have to take a bite.

i fucking hate vista. games actually run slower than on xp. and a million warning messages a minute. and you cant delete some files cause of user privileges even though you own the fucking thing. i fucking hate vista.:)

OH MY GOD SOMEONE ELSE GETS THAT USER PRIVILEE CRAP! :eek:

I thought i was being a dumbass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back