Disco thread (1 Viewer)

i assume you know of deephousepage.com?

the amount of mixes they have here is mind-boggling. original recordings of hardy/levan/knuckles from back in the day, as well as a plenty of new stuff. the ron hardy sets are fantastic, he just works the shits out of one song for 10/15 minutes with tape loops/vinyl/whatever he can get his hands on..
It's a great site. I've never really done it justice though.

I've always hated disco, it just bores me to fucken tears (I love funk though Osama). House bores me too. Maybe I'm not taking the right drugs
I HEAR YA EGG MAN...

AS FOR THE DRUGS.... WELL THEY DO HELP. THE DISCO SCENE WAS BUILT ON LARGE AMOUNTS OF DRUGS.

ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!

ON THAT DANCE FLOOR

aye, some disco is always good. downtownsounds at ri ra often has some great nights.

"Disco never died. It just mutated over the years into hip hop, 80’s electro and finally, house music. After all, ‘disco’ was just a word that described the music played in the underground NY discotheques of the 70’s. Eclectic mixes of soul, funky rock, african/latin percussion and oddball European dance records held sway. They didn't stick slavishly to one genre or bang on the latest big tunes and hope for the best. They mixed it up to mixed crowds – whites, blacks, Puerto Ricans, gay, straight, whatever. It was a party, baby!
It is this looseness and inclusiveness that DownTownSounds aims to recreate. Expect chunky funk and soul, driving disco , electro and italo bombs , lethal spaced out grooves and no lingering smell of cheese" - their site.

I'm too lazy to look over the thread (bad krossie!), of course, but did Turn The Beat Around by Peter Shapiro get a mention - its a great read - puts disco firmly in context - its radical roots and its later corporate take over/destruction.

Unfortunately disco as a metaphor for everything that is tacky and crap comes from phase II. Mind you there's a lot thats likable too even in its very tackiness!

kp

musique.jpg

picked this up recently
bside is quality too

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Disco?With the exception of Chic and Michael Jackson's Off The Wall it dosn't hold up well,although it did create a culture of innovation in dance and pop which has only been a positive influence and paved the wzy for synth-pop,hip-hop and house later on(Moroder etc).

Have you listened to many tracks mentioned on this thread?

The fact that you mention MJ and Chic as the only good disco would suggest to me that you're pretty clueless on the genre itself.

loveissucide

I fear you've wandered into a next of stingy disco bees here - was the title not a bit of a give away?!?

There are so many glib misconceptions about the whole disco phenomenon - with this as with many musical genres - it often pays to be open minded and look beyond the immediately apparent...

A great book to correct some of these and a convincing narrative of how it did disintegrate into cheese, cash and crap for real towards the end is Pete Shapiro's turn the beat around. A serious muso (think he writes for wire) and a sharp social, cultural and political historian i think...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0571211941/?tag=thumpedcom-20

even have a gander at the first few pages where he downs easy misconceptions and sets up the first stirrings of disco as actually quiet a radical voice of some relatively poor and definitely marginalised people

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0571211941/?tag=thumpedcom-20

I'm also not so sure I'd be so sure of the progressive virtues of this synth pop stuff neither especially its noughties incarnation...

But then I'm an old curmudgeon fundamentally!

kp

Any links to freebies like free mixes? I've been goin to Cozmic Disco from time to time, they've some great disco mixes.

Disco is an amazing genre when you really look into it. As mentioned already it crosses so many genres, countries, whatever. Its a pity that the cheesiest stuff is well known and ruins its reputation.

Edit: the post above answered my question. Ta

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back