Disco edts (1 Viewer)

Wobbler

Website
www.discogs.com
Just stumbled across some Todd Terje re-edits on the 'Tube. Fuck me, they're amazing.
This Chic one has a massive nod to Moodymann
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And this gets really dubby.

Any thing else I should be checking? Who makes good re-edits other than Todd Terje?

Todd Terje does a great one of this amazingness too

There's also JAZ, some of his edits and mixes are at lovefingers.org and arawa.fm, though he does the more cosmic side of disco.
http://www.myspace.com/jazcamp

I'm not sure who or what Anorak are but they seem to do some too, though I don't know the originals.

Really enjoying this.

I think Carl Craig's take on Once in a Lifetime is excellent though a load of my mates don't like it.

I have a record on that Moxie series http://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist-Feels-So-Good-Up-And-Down-Beep/release/1550678
I found out from Discogs, it's the lads from LCD Soundsystem what done it. One side is a version of Love Has Come Around, not sure what the other side is, but's brilliant

Mark E does the best re-edits i've heard. has a new compilation of edits out now as well.

Pocketknife and cousin cole have some good uns- including an amazing springsteen edit

Greg wilson also (check his RA podcast and essential mix)

I think Carl Craig's take on Once in a Lifetime is excellent though a load of my mates don't like it.

There is absolutely no reason for that re-edit to exist. Awful.

the instruments of rapture series

some stuff on jisco

also, mark e did a mad edit of la vie en rose, the grace jones thing. 'freakin shrieken'. not on th'aul you tube though

Really enjoying this.

seriously, he doesn't DO anything with that song.

The Chic one at the top of this thread is the only re-edit I rate as better than the original, everything else I've heard is just scoring novelty/curiosity points. I dig the whole "salvaging gold from Phil Collinsesque shit" aesthetic in theory, but less so in practice. They go on about this kind of thing a lot over at the DJHistory forum.

The Levan/Cookie Monster remix is of course spectacular, but I don't consider it part of the "nu" re-edit craze as it's from 1978. I've been looking for a copy but even the reissue is quite expensive.

The Chic one at the top of this thread is the only re-edit I rate as better than the original, everything else I've heard is just scoring novelty/curiosity points. I dig the whole "salvaging gold from Phil Collinsesque shit" aesthetic in theory, but less so in practice. They go on about this kind of thing a lot over at the DJHistory forum.

The Levan/Cookie Monster remix is of course spectacular, but I don't consider it part of the "nu" re-edit craze as it's from 1978. I've been looking for a copy but even the reissue is quite expensive.

No way! Some of my favourite tracks of the last few years have been "gold salvaged from Phil Collinsesque shit". In most cases they're not re-edits because they don't need to be, they're just great tracks but listen to the samples of Jaz's I PLayed Sports here. I don't know the originals but most every track on the album is superb and they're all re-edits.
I would agree on most edits not actually improving the original, for example the Once in a Lifetime one, or the Todd Terje edit of You Should be Dancing, I dunno, maybe they're just to make those kind of tracks more DJ friendly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back