Dihital Clicks... (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh... frustrating cunts!

righ...

transferring tracks from a roland 880 to a PC using Wavelab via Digital coaxial cable...

everything is fine... till I playback the track that is captured: it's riddled with clicks...

3 hours of fucking around with preferences last night and still... click after click after click after poxy click...

anyone have any ideas?

me pardner in crime is scouring the net for answers but I thought I'd axe youwiz also...

egg?

You used the sp/dif output on the Roland, right? Can you hear the music at all or just clicks? I remember reading someplace that you have to be careful with the cable when doing this ... it suggested using video cable, cos regular audio cable (even if it's called 'digital') isn't designed to handle the data rates

Used the same cable transferring drum tracks in the very same way from a tascam and they were perfect...

The soundcard is a DMX something or other...

egg, yes I can hear the sound yet it is dotted with intermittant clicks...

I think I'll try it all again using the analogue out and in's (although I'd rather not, humph)...

I just cant understand that the process was perfect using the Tascam, yet using the Roland did this

ta for advice

Ian said:
Used the same cable transferring drum tracks in the very same way from a tascam and they were perfect...

on closer inspection those tracks are ruined also! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

kmastering said:
It could be the wrong lead but it could also be clocking errors, see if your sound card is set to digital or s/pdif sync.

As above. When transferring stuff digitally, the receiving device should be set up to receive its sync clock from the transmitting device.

If you're using spdif then you should have a control panel for your soundcard that lets you change the sync to either internal or spdif.

aoboa said:
As above. When transferring stuff digitally, the receiving device should be set up to receive its sync clock from the transmitting device.

If you're using spdif then you should have a control panel for your soundcard that lets you change the sync to either internal or spdif.

I have set the cards control panel to sync externally and still no change. I am going to try and de-installed the card and start from scratch again.

Ian said:
Rain in the ping this

Are the clicks at regular intervals or at random???

If they are regular it's a sync problem.

Random clicks can be caused by just about anything but are most likely due to a process taking away cpu resources.
Shut down every process in the task manager except explorer, sys tray and whatever app you are using to capture the audio.

aoboa said:
Are the clicks at regular intervals or at random???

If they are regular it's a sync problem.

Random clicks can be caused by just about anything but are most likely due to a process taking away cpu resources.
Shut down every process in the task manager except explorer, sys tray and whatever app you are using to capture the audio.

Cheers I will try this but I have a feeling that it may not work. The clicks are random and my PC is 2.4 ghz with 512mb or ram. I can image the cpu is the issue. I am going to try a few other tricks later on

aoboa said:

This happens witrh my Mac, if I've the hard drive jammed, or a couple of appz open in the background it can spit and splutter, seems that the computer keeps on "catching up with itself"... thats not a techie term, thats just what I call it to justify it to myself.

Could you put a click on the begining of each track, transfer them via audio outs, and sync them back up using the clicks?

Pantone247 said:
This happens witrh my Mac, if I've the hard drive jammed, or a couple of appz open in the background it can spit and splutter, seems that the computer keeps on "catching up with itself"... thats not a techie term, thats just what I call it to justify it to myself.

Could you put a click on the begining of each track, transfer them via audio outs, and sync them back up using the clicks?

Yeah, even with a really decent processor a couple of open apps and the os can be enough to cause glitches. Most audio apps give you some control over the read buffer size. It's always worth giving this a bit of a tweek.

As for synching back up using a click at the start of each track... Of course it's possible if a little tedious. Make sure once you've re-recorded them (clicks and all) back in, to cut each track to the same exact point on the click waveform (and I mean the cycle of the wave) and then just use snap to grid or start or even just line them up manually.

Here's some advice I got from a tech:
On a PC you can can adjust the disk-write settings, you should disable write behind caching.
Set up your PC as a network server (Control Panel, System, Performance, then file system, network server).
Set your colors to 256 (sometimes graphics cards can say 32-bit but are in using 8-bit graphics transfers which hog the PCI bus and thus cause gliches)
Turn off any hardware accelleration (Control Panel, System, Performance, then graphics and turn off accelleration)

okay boys and girls here the update.

I have done all the suggestions that I could find in a load of forums all over the net and still no resolution the clicks still exist. I am awaiting an XP driver update from Terratec(the makers of the card).

In the mean time I have discovered a fantasic piece of software which I had but never used called 'Algorithmix' which has a deadly de-clicker filter on it which works really well I am very impressed. So that's what we can go with for now Ian if that suits.

Tell the shams and feeens I said hi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back