did you ever smoke after a tooth extraction? (1 Viewer)

Froog

Get some!
Supporter
dentist said i shouldnt smoke for 2 - 3 days. i'm gagging for one now after only 8 hours. apparently it can cause something called "dry sockets" which is supposed to be severly painful. anyone have similar experience?

I smoked a biff on my way home from having had a filling when I was about 17 - I came out of the dentist with one side of my face hanging like I'd had a stroke. Found it in my pocket and thought, sure why not. Woke up about ten minutes later on the path...moral of the story is don't do it if you don't want both sides of your face looking like you've just had a stroke.

You might as well keep going and quit.

I did it when I was 17. No problems except for having to pick black congealed bubbles of blood out of the hole in my jaw.

Urghh barf !bog

Anyone ever get their wisdom teeth out?
I had all four taken out in hospital. All I remember was lying on a trolly waiting to be put under, with a surgical paper dress on with no back on it (nice), a shower cap cellotaped to my face and a pair of HUGE plastic goggles on. The surgeon was chatting away..I was too mortified to look him in the eye.

dentist said i shouldnt smoke for 2 - 3 days. i'm gagging for one now after only 8 hours. apparently it can cause something called "dry sockets" which is supposed to be severly painful. anyone have similar experience?

I was told smoking would stop the blood clotting or some such nonsense, I had loads of fags after an extraction and was fine!

You should give up though...

Urghh barf !bog

Anyone ever get their wisdom teeth out?
I had all four taken out in hospital. All I remember was lying on a trolly waiting to be put under, with a surgical paper dress on with no back on it (nice), a shower cap cellotaped to my face and a pair of HUGE plastic goggles on. The surgeon was chatting away..I was too mortified to look him in the eye.

I still remember fondly the drugs they gave me for the week after having four out and a bunch of other dental shit done under general anasthetic. I don't know what the fuck they were but I'd gladly do it all again.

If you are really hanging would it be worth getting patches to take the edge off? Especially if you are getting more work done and will have to give up for days again.

the thought of having a tooth extraction makes me want to die. Actually die. I have overcrowded teeth in my lower row and I have avoided going to the dentist for many years because I am so afraid they will tell me I will need some teeth removed. I actually don't know if I could handle it, I might faint or something in the dentist's chair. When it comes to getting blood taken or any of that crap I'm grand, hell I broke my arm and it wasn't that painful, but when it comes to the dentist I want to curl up in a ball and die. :( that's not good, is it?

its actually relatively painless. i didnt even need painkillers. not smoking was very hard tho. the scariest thing is waiting for the severe pain to happen, which never does.

i had my top wisdom teeth out with what the dentist referred to as "the soothing needle", aka intravenous valium. i was conscious, but did not actually notice him removing the teeth.

I've had three extractions.

Nothing drastic like front teeth though.

One good thing in their favour - they're a lot cheaper than fillings or root canal treatment. Dentists generally always want to 'save the tooth' - i.e. taking it out is only a last resort.

According to a dentist mate, a 'clearance' is A Bad Thing - psychologically anyway.

Clearance = extraction of all teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back