dudley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
apart from a slightly queasily slow geno and a 20 minute muso wankathon version of come on eileen, that was utterly fantastic.
the slowed down lounecore approach was *deadly*
pretty wonderful to see people playing their instruments with such reserve and delicacy.

bargain for a tenner!

Best gig ever. Seriously. It lived up to all my expectations. Come on eileen wasn't great, I liked geno, but the higlight for me was what's she like, which was incredible.

Best bit: Me hi-fiving Kevin Rowland, twice.

dudley said:
apart from a slightly queasily slow geno and a 20 minute muso wankathon version of come on eileen, that was utterly fantastic.
the slowed down lounecore approach was *deadly*
pretty wonderful to see people playing their instruments with such reserve and delicacy.

bargain for a tenner!

this was quite literally one of the most fantastic gigs I have ever been to. Ever. Being front row centre stage was also pretty deadly, but the whole thing was magical, even come on eileen didn't manage to annoy me in the slightest. The showperson-ship, the clothes, the vocals, the ambience, the ugh....love in the room, it was all funtastic.

Like hundreds of people there I'd been waiting over twenty years to see Dexys live. The warmth of the reception given to Kev was something else, I think he was genuinely touched. I would have liked to have heard more "old" (ie pre Too Rye Ay) songs, Tell Me When My Light Turns Green & I Couldn't Help If I Tried were fantastic but imagine if they'd played There There My Dear or Plan B. Would also liked to have heard My National Pride though The Dont Stand Me Down songs were great with the carefully rehearsed spontaneous conversations. Come On Eileen was dodgy alright, I don't know why he gave it such prominence. In fact the songs chosen for the latter part of the gig were a bit off I thought (Because of You??). Pete Williams proved an excellent foil and was probably necessary as KR's voice seemed a bit gone. Also: apart from the frontline the band were a bit session-ey. I know one thing - Kevin Rowland is a folk hero.

PS How the f*** did you get in for a tenner?! I paid 36e!

got them in that vicar st sale (just got a holiday to belgium for 25 euro on ryanair today,woooooo!)

i thought kevs voice was in *great* shape. prob better than 20 years ago
because of you was prob my highlight 8)

dudley said:
i thought kevs voice was in *great* shape. prob better than 20 years ago
because of you was prob my highlight 8)
I thought so too, I was amazed at how good his voice was - don't remember him being so vocally powerful at Reading a few years ago. But maybe the wind up his slip put him off then.

I just thought his voice didn't carry very well that's all, maybe it was the soundman's fault.

Apparently there is a review in the Irish Times today, anyone got access to it?

What is this Vicar St sale thing? They flog off tickets cheap at short notice? That might explain the presence of some bods there who clearly had little knowledge of the group beyond Come on Eileen. I think "you're not at the ***in' bingo" shut them up nicely though (early quiet songs)

[video=youtube;gyrcUlX7sPg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXmGp123ol8[/URL][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyrcUlX7sPg[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back