design price question. (1 Viewer)

#10-7

Website
www.delorentos.net
we have designed a cover for our next ep. it will have 4 songs, and it'll be a basic jewel case with just a basic cover which will fold to have another picture and the names of the band members & a band picture. we want something that looks professional, nice and doesn't cost us a bomb. i've read the article on things, which is useful, and followed its advice.

if i were to ask a design company to assist us to design a cover for our next release, or even to give us advice, where would we start?

Start... saving.

Any design companies i've ever dealt with have been mucho expensive.

My brother did ours for us recently. I can e-mail a copy of the artwork to you to see whether you like it or not...hes qualified at all that shit anyway and he'll do it fairly cheap (although he could just say to fuck off either). Let me know anyway. ;)

Run a competition among your fans to get them to design it? Blank canvas or some restrictions, whatever, and off they go feeling part of your evolution... and you can reject them if they are crap, unlike a designer, who you can often pay for their time not the result...

Originally posted by IrishUnsigned
Run a competition among your fans to get them to design it? Blank canvas or some restrictions, whatever, and off they go feeling part of your evolution... and you can reject them if they are crap, unlike a designer, who you can often pay for their time not the result...

......fans? :confused:
my mum can't draw to save her life....

I want to enter the compitition...
how many crisp packets do I have to save up...?

Originally posted by IrishUnsigned

ah would you ever shut up with that crap

serisouly speaking as a designer I find that attitude insulting and just plain silly

if you want a piece of shit slapped together by your 'FANS" go ahead

if you want a design that will look GOOD and WORK, and have it SET UP and supplied to the printer in a way that will be printed properly and not look shit because you don't know what CMYK is or where to put the crop marks then you should really go with a designer.

xx

P247

Would you get your fans to write your songs?

Get a designer, kids ... BUT it's probably a good idea to come up with a good basic image yourself first, then get them to snazz it up and make it look professional - if you're paying them by the hour to listen to your music then come up with the image that's EXACTLY right, things will get expensive

Oh and if you're going to a printer, get a chromalin for exact colour matching! We got our single back today and even though the cover looked really cool (thanks to my wife for the photo and to Daragh and Pantone for design) in prototype, the colours on the final print are off sufficiently to make it ... well, significantly less cool :( It's kinda gone greeny and much less contrasty ... disappointed I am

Oh another little tip - if you're printing stuff out at home, that premium photo paper stuff looks really cool (expensive though, at least 50c a sheet)

While your talking about cromalins...are they just for colour referencing, they've got nothing to do with size, right? The brother got one printed yesterday, and it was out by about 3mm, but he assures me that the drawing on his computer is the right size.

Cromalins

In traditional printing with the rollers and the ink and printing plates, you get FILM made up from Quark Document to make up the [plates that rpint your document.

For one document you get 4 sheets of film (one for cyan, one for yellow, one for magenta and one for black)

so a Cromalin is made up form these sheets of film, its not a print out but an ACTUAL representation of whats is on the Film and thus what will end up coming out of the printing press
(give or take a few % on the colours). This cromalin sould be supplied to the printer and from this he should make decisions on colour and stuff... the cromalin is considered gospel and they will attemp to match as much as possible... or they should do

Now a Cromalin (A4 size, which would do the front and back of the inside cover of a CD) would cost...

A4 x 4 (0ne for CMY and K) = 9 euro x 4 = 36 euro
one A4 cromalin = 32 euro

prices from the Type Bureau on Merrion Square, highly recomended.

so 68 euro for your Cromailin, its expensive but as Egg will testify it might be worth doing

the upside is you will have FILM for whatever section of your packaging you got a Cromalin for so TREND, or whoever you are dealing with, should offer you a discount as you are providing FILM

with me so far??

right.

anymore questions post here... and anyone need any help with their artwork feel free to contact me [email protected]

oh and as for the size issue Dan I would get your borther to contact the place where he got the Cromalin made and find out if there was a problem, if not I would check your Documents again, as I said above a Cromalin is made for the ACTUAL FILM that will print your covers.

of course worth adding in these days of digital printing some places will do a digital print and call it a Cromalin, while thers not MUCH differnce, its worth checking what you;re actually getting and making sure you are charge correctly.

eh hope that helps

xx
P247

p.s. sorry to here about you're artwork Egg! hope its usable!

p.p.s I'd like to see you're "fans" sort out a cromalin for you ;) ;) ;)

Mmmm..OK, followed you on most of that. I sent the thing away today to Trend, so we'll see what happens. Trend is two minutes walk from my gaff so if theres problems if shouldn't be too much hassle popping in and fixing them..hopefully. I found what you were saying about the cromalin / digital printout interesting. We initially thought the cromalin was going to cost us €30, but it ended up only costing €5, so maybe it was only a digital printout :( . It was also back and front of a j-card with flap and they fitted it all on one A4, perhaps the reason for the size being out a little, as the whole thing was actually printed on the page.

We shall see.....

Originally posted by Dan
Mmmm..OK, followed you on most of that. I sent the thing away today to Trend, so we'll see what happens. Trend is two minutes walk from my gaff so if theres problems if shouldn't be too much hassle popping in and fixing them..hopefully. I found what you were saying about the cromalin / digital printout interesting. We initially thought the cromalin was going to cost us €30, but it ended up only costing €5, so maybe it was only a digital printout :( . It was also back and front of a j-card with flap and they fitted it all on one A4, perhaps the reason for the size being out a little, as the whole thing was actually printed on the page.

We shall see.....

Sounds like the did you a digital print out

also the fact that it all fitted on one A4 page suggests they scaled it slightly, you can't scale cromalins

as I said there is nothing worng with Digital printing, the colours are not going to be exact but it is a good economic compromise

trend are very good though and generally contact you with any problems rather then having the "fuck them its their problem, lets print it anyway and just charge them for it" attitude which some people have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back