Derrick Dalton (1 Viewer)

So, so sad. It's a testimony to what a wonderful guy he was that he'll be missed by so many people who didn't know him as well as those who did. Love and sympathies to Laura and the family.

Hoot/tribute night sounds like a great plan. He'd be morto (in a good way!) at the idea.

Lads, I thought I'd float this idea..
How about a Crumb/Mexican Pets/Hey Paulette Hoot night with all the proceeds going to Aware?

My condolences to Laura and family & friends. This is a huge loss to our community. Derrick was a true gentleman and an amazing musician, a real craftsman. Crumb played in The Boom Boom Room a few times, and he and his band-mates were always friendly and professional and hugely entertaining.

Please allow me to suggest using The Boom Boom Room as a venue for any musical memorial you may be considering. We would be proud to offer our services to remember this fine man. Please contact us at bookings(at)theboomboomroom(dot)tv

I've just heard this news and I'm gutted and can't believe it - Derrick was the absolute salt of the earth. A lovely lad and gifted musician, my thoughts are with Laura and his family. This is heartbreaking.

Jill from the Pets

Would MOUTPIECE be welcome to cover a tune.We'd love to.

Hi my name is Eileen Gogan and I was working with Derrick for the past 2 years in a band Melba. I had the pleasure of knowing him and Laura for a lot of years. I was with Laura this weekend and we were laughing about the afters of Derrick's funeral on friday night. Laura is fantastic and her sense of humour is keeping us all afloat.
Darrin ( the amazing drummer form Hey Paulette) had arranged a small PA for the pub, we knew that Derrick would want us all to play. However an hour after arriving, I saw the lads form Crumb walking in with a drum kit and some cool guitars they had borrowed from Moddlers Den (Derricks studio) Laura said the neighbours were worried as they thought the house was being raided! She also said that was a shambolic gathering of some of the finest musicians in Dublin. Crumb, Stars of Heaven, $1000 Wedding, Mexican Pets, the Jackmans Derricks brothers' Tony and Phil and Hey Paulette. (If I've forgotten anyone I do apologise). It was one of the best nights I've ever had. I am missing him.
Eileen.

I've talked to a few people about different ideas folks have for some sort of tribute night in the near future. I've no doubt lots of people would be into it. To get the ball rolling anyone is interested in having the chats about it drop me a line at...

pantone247 [@] gmail [dot] com

(obviously filling in the dots and removing the spaces)

and we can start from there. Many thanks!

Fiachra

All the proceeds from the Corpo/Subplots/Night on Earth gig in Whelans on Thursday week are either going to Aware or another charity of Laura's choice, will let you know.

Ah shit.
I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope Derrick's family will be okay. He was a very nice guy.

Hi folks

Thanks for everyone’s support and kindness over the last week. It is much appreciated by me and his famly. Derrick would have been very embarrassed about all the kind comments and the amount of people that came to pay their respects.

For musicians on this forum keep on releasing great records. You many only sell a few but it’s not the point. Derrick released his first record with Hey Paulette in 1988 and they still continue to sell to this day. His instrumental solo album ‘First Flight’ under the name Aeromodeller will be in Road Records shortly. I think it is available to buy on ITunes. New Crumb stuff will be released after Christmas. For the rest of us non musicians support the local gig scene and buy some records.

The tribute night is a great idea. You can let me know when it is on. Please give all the money to AWARE. Hopefully it will be as crazy as his session. No rapping now Mr Clafferty!

Thanks again, may the music play on in our hearts.

Laura

I was in Chicago when I received the news of Derrick's passing. Its unreal, heartbreaking and a devastating loss on so many, many levels...and I've avoided this thread long enough. I wish I could have been at the funeral...

Derrick was a great guy and an exceptionally talented musician. To me, and I'm sure many others, Derrick was the face of indie Power-Pop in Ireland. He loved the Hoot Nights and did everything he could to support them. Without fail or complaint he would offer his gear for the Hoot Night's back-line, something I always appreciated because - not being a gear-owning musician myself - finding gear can really stress me out. I'm so grateful to him and Laura for their kindness, humour, support, friendship and generosity. Music, furniture assembly, laughs, hugs, dances, food and insisted-rides home. How lovely...and how much does this world need those simple things?

Derrick believed in music and musicians and community and history. His knowledge and talent were profound. I loved it when I'd get to play songs with Derrick or Crumb. They always made me sound way better than I am. 'Oh, Mickey!' by Toni Basil, 'New Boy' by The Connells, R.E.M.s 'The One I Love,' just a few that come to mind... Lucky me! What a gift.

(Derrick and Dez were the only people not embarrassed when I insisted that Fecky The Ninth must always be danced to, no exceptions. Bless those boys - there's nothing like having a big, gay, fat man dancing alone at your gigs and loving him for it!)

I would have liked to have gotten to know Derrick even better with time...I think we would have become even better friends. I'm sorry that he was suffering so and I didn't know about it. We can honor Derrick by finding the courage to refuse and resist complicit participation in a culture that demands silence and shame around issues of depression and mental health. We can't afford to lose anyone else. More hugs please.

Shine in peace Derrick, thanks for all the memories, music and good will you've left behind - they are precious and we will treasure them. Its been wonderful to know you.

Humbly yours,

Thomas

Ps. For what its worth to Phil, Dez, Laura and her family, I am of course available and would be honored to be of service in any capacity for any tribute or memorial to Derrick's life, love and music. I'm amazing at coat check!

Ps. For what its worth to Phil, Dez, Laura and her family, I am of course available and would be honored to be of service in any capacity for any tribute or memorial to Derrick's life, love and music. I'm amazing at coat check![/quote]

Thanks Thomas, we may well require your MC'ing services on the night. I'll be in touch.

Fiachra Pantone is the contact for any bands/artists interested in getting involved.

Cheers

Dez

I was away when this happened and I've only just heard. I never really got to know Derrick, although I've shared the bill with Crumb at many Hoot nights. Very sad news. Heart goes out to his loved ones. Keep us informed of any tributes that are happening. RIP.

I just heard this news today from a friend and I'm gutted. Derrick was one of the first people I met when I moved to Dublin in 1992 when we were both on a sound engineering course. I had lost touch with him over the years but met him randomly again over a year ago. We were talking about studios and how I was hoping to build one in my garden, and it turned out he had actually built one. So himself and Laura were kind enough to invite me for dinner and give me a tour of the new studio. He was also a bit of a music trivia fan like myself and I met him at a couple of Phantom quiz nights in the Sugar club. I tried to poach him for our team one time but he was already committed, and needless to say his team won that night. Not many people know that Derrick did a John Peel session many years ago, and how many Irish musicians can say that?

Condolences to Laura and his family and friends, he'll be sorely missed.

Ciaràn.

I know exactly what you mean, really missing him at the moment. If you need any help at all please let me know.
Eileen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back