Deluxe editions are annoying. (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
especially on spotify.

Low by bowie, I listen to about once a month. When I had it on CD it ended at its logical end, now it trails off into b-sides.

Someone recommended me an album this week and I listened way into the 'non released alternate takes' ruining the flow of the beginning / middle / end because i wasn't able to hit stop while driving.

Maybe this thread can end this terrible practice.

I'll just spend the earthshakingly poignant conclusion-al whimpers of this masterpiece watching the timer bar and hovering over the mouse button.

Why didn't i think of this before.

It would make sense for spotify not to include any of the bonus tracks on albums. People who actually want them can cough up the money and buy them, people who are just sampling stuff or don't really like music (most of spotify's userbase) won't miss them.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. It's like on Blink 182's self titled album they tacked on a terrible live version of Anthem2 at the end that kind of takes away from the whole thing.

Sadly yes, I am serious about this. I think that album's great.

The Soft Bulletin had bonus tracks on it when it was first released. WTF?

I read that their label made them do it, suspecting that they had a hit on their hands. I always turn it off after Sleeping On The Roof.

The Soft Bulletin had bonus tracks on it when it was first released. WTF?

I read that their label made them do it, suspecting that they had a hit on their hands. I always turn it off after Sleeping On The Roof.

I just made another CD out of it so I didn't have Superman or Race for the Prize twice. Buggin' is a great tune but the Spiderbite Song isn't.

Deluxe editions can be great when done well (See the Pavement reissues, which I have been recently revisiting), but I totally agree about the album's original context being ruined. For example, I was listening to the Croooked Rain, Crooked Rain reissue yesterday. The last song does this lovely thing where it just kind of peters off into nothing. On the original it's a great way to end because it just kind of hangs, but on the reissue there's barely a decent pause before the following track blasts in.

Bands used to release the songs from deluxe editions as standalone outtake/b sides etc lp's. That was way better.

For that reason I think spotify is great for it. Most of the time the songs are only worth a few listens at best,I don't want to pay too much for a record i probably already bought when it was first released to hear the songs that weren't good enough.

There are other reasons spotify sucks,but this is not one.
Even I can make a spotify playlist of the songs I want to hear.

If there's some genuine reason to include an extra CD or expand a reissue then it's fair game... b-sides, live material and collected rarities, interviews, unreleased tracks are going to mean something to the collector/fanboy/whoever...

...deluxe turns to insipid pretty quickly when the original reel to reels are emptied out for every second of inane studio chat and endless takes of the same intro... This approach simply reduces all your favourite albums to that which resembles Syd Barrett's solo career - a depressing mess...

...and then there's simply taking the piss...

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

- good album - original release had 8 tracks over 2 sides

King Crimson - Starless Super deluxe box ...27 CDs ...

...just...
...fuck...
...off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back