Dec/Jan Vinyl Sale Finds (1 Viewer)

_Katie_

I don't have a lot of money to spend on vinyl but I'm on the hunt for some Vashti Bunyan for my collection. Will there be an epic sale I wonder? Going to pop into a few spots in town on lunch.

how'd that go? I didn't think Dublin record shops were big on sales, other than Tower with those dreadful 'back to vinyl' sales they have when they get a tonne of surplus stock (cos it's cheaper to buy it in bulk). That tends to be very common-denominator stuff too.

Try online. Norman Records or the like. They might be having a sale.

how'd that go? I didn't think Dublin record shops were big on sales, other than Tower with those dreadful 'back to vinyl' sales they have when they get a tonne of surplus stock (cos it's cheaper to buy it in bulk). That tends to be very common-denominator stuff too.

Try online. Norman Records or the like. They might be having a sale.
You're right - nothing! Saw the new Julia Holter...NEARLY 40 quid. I mean its a double album and amazing but come on.

Had a goo on Norman. No sale but good prices.

Was thinking I'm better going straight to the artists, I want the money in their pockets. Or small labels.

I'm after

- Landless
- New Lankum
- Brigid Mae Power
- Lisa O'Neill
- Some Ann Briggs
- Some Vashti
- This unreal Love and Death on the New York Dance floor comp I saw from Phonica.

You're right - nothing! Saw the new Julia Holter...NEARLY 40 quid. I mean its a double album and amazing but come on.
I don’t get how releases from Domino are so expensive, aren’t they UK-based? I kind of get how US releases are mad money as I think even with wholesale prices and bulk shipping, the costs of getting them in and making a profit leads to €40+ albums. Sometimes I’ll spend that in Tower if the shipping from the label means it’s a similar price - at least there’s no chance of it going missing.

(The Holter album was only €25 at her gig and she was signing records.)

I don’t get how releases from Domino are so expensive, aren’t they UK-based? I kind of get how US releases are mad money as I think even with wholesale prices and bulk shipping, the costs of getting them in and making a profit leads to €40+ albums. Sometimes I’ll spend that in Tower if the shipping from the label means it’s a similar price - at least there’s no chance of it going missing.

(The Holter album was only €25 at her gig and she was signing records.)
They are, but I guess they have a US branch? Couldn't be sure, though. Its mad money.

The problem with going straight to the artist is that often the price of postage is insane.

Puts me off buying so many records on Bandcamp, even from Irish/UK artists because shipping is often the same, if not MORE than the price of the record!

However I am going in to Tower tomorrow to pick up something for maself

Was thinking I'm better going straight to the artists, I want the money in their pockets. Or small labels.

I'm after

- Landless
- New Lankum
- Brigid Mae Power
- Lisa O'Neill
- Some Ann Briggs
- Some Vashti
- This unreal Love and Death on the New York Dance floor comp I saw from Phonica.

I bought that Julia Holter album at a record shop in Sligo on Saturday for 27 quid. Just shows that Tower are taking the piss with their prices...

I'm after

- Landless
- New Lankum
- Brigid Mae Power
- Lisa O'Neill
- Some Ann Briggs
- Some Vashti
For Irish related stuff you should check out the likes of RAGE / Record Spot and Spindizzy; they have Irish sections in their shops - ditto for All City Records in Temple Bar
Online I tend to look at Discogs - the likes of Vashti Bunyan records will be pricey anyway; I think most of her earlier stuff has been reissued now anyway; it won't be as costly as original pressings but you're better off shopping around.
Buying direct from artists at gigs etc is a good way to ensure the cash goes directly to them; it can still be expensive though. I buy the odd new thing but mostly I stick to buying older stuff 2nd hand.

Some decent stuff in Spindizzy. If anyone is a Joni fanatic they have some of her weirder stuff, I was tempted to buy the Hissing of Summer Lawns. So good. Also found a Laura Nyro LP which I was so tempted by.

Some decent stuff in Spindizzy. If anyone is a Joni fanatic they have some of her weirder stuff, I was tempted to buy the Hissing of Summer Lawns. So good. Also found a Laura Nyro LP which I was so tempted by.
I like Spindizzy a lot; I love that New Arrivals section, and they generally have good stuff. Laura Nyro is great, you should have nabbed that; any idea which one?

I like Spindizzy a lot; I love that New Arrivals section, and they generally have good stuff. Laura Nyro is great, you should have nabbed that; any idea which one?
I know...Haven't got a lot to spend though! If I had the cash I would have. Its Eli and the Thirteenth Confession!

Fucking hell.

Actually, checked the price again and it was 23.95! Shout out to Liber bookshop/record shop in Sligo- always have a few interesting bits in pieces on the racks at a decent price. Also picked up some Drexciya reissues and this stupendous comp that i'ed been itching to get-
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Do they have a website? (not that I'm likely to be in sligo anytime soon) And do they sell used records?

No second hand, no website (at least not listing their stock). Normally only about 100-150 records or so on the shelf, Nothing extraordinary but always manage pick up something I've been meaning to get...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back