Dead Cool - Tuesdays Nights Late At The Pavilion (4 Viewers)

known as an actress
but Georgy Girl is a seminal film for us here at Dead Cool HQ

03/05/2010 - 16:53:07
Actress Lynn Redgrave has died aged 67, her publicist said today.

Redgrave starred in the 1960s hit film 'Georgy Girl' and had many other successes on stage and screen.

Her publicist, Rick Miramontez, speaking on behalf of her children, said she died last night at her apartment in New York.

In 2003, she was treated for breast cancer.

Her death comes a year after her niece Natasha Richardson died from head injuries sustained in a skiing accident and only a month after the death of her older brother, Corin Redgrave.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/actress-lynn-redgrave-dies-456227.html#ixzz0mt4sO4cq

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

every Tuesday, a whole set of music by dead people
bar one person who most people don't know is still alive

April 29 - Dead Cool @ Pavilion

Crosstown Traffic - Jimi Hendrix
I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - Isaac Hayes
Shine (Freemasons Radio) - Luther Vandross
Highwayman - Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash & Kris Kristofferson
Nature Boy - James Brown
Madam Butterfly (Un Bel Di Vedremo) - Malcolm McLaren
Peace Frogs - The Doors
You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine - Lou Rawls
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - Righteous Brothers
Summertime - Nina Simone
Love Will Tear Us Apart (Permanent Mix) - Joy Division
Lost In The Supermarket - The Clash
What's Going Ahn (In The Street) - Big Star
Santeria - Sublime
I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
Tattoo'd Lady - Rory Gallagher
Going Up The Country - Canned Heat
Hey! Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
Long Walk To D.C. - The Staple Singers
Young Willing And Able - Minnie Riperton
Real Love - The Beatles
Dream A Little Dream Of Me - The Mamas & The Papas
What A Wonderful World This Would Be - Sam Cooke
King Harvest (Has Surely Come) - The Band
Hit The Road Jack - Ray Charles
A New England - Kirsty MacColl
Superstar - Carpenters
Heyday - Mic Christopher
All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
20th Century Boy - Marc Bolan & T.Rex
Iron Lion Zion - Bob Marley
End Of The Line - Traveling Wilburys
Somebody To Love - Queen
Break On Through - The Doors
The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury & The Blockheads
(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding
Super Freak - Rick James
Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
C'mon Everybody - Eddie Cochrane
Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
Ring Of Fire - Johnny Cash
Let's Twist Again - Big Bopper
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love - Blues Brothers
Living In America - James Brown
Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson
Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart Janis Joplin
Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer
Hold On, I'm Coming - Sam & Dave
Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
Beat It - Michael Jackson

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8671724.stm US singer Lena Horne dies aged 92

o.gif
_47812313_009258123-1.jpg

inline_dashed_line.gif

Obituary: Lena Horne
Send us your comments

US singer and actress Lena Horne has died in New York at the age of 92.
Renowned for her beauty and sultry voice, Horne battled against racial segregation to become Hollywood's first black sex symbol.
In 1943, she played Selina Rogers in the all-black film musical Stormy Weather, the title song of which was to be a major hit and her signature tune.
Her career spanned more than 60 years. Later she embraced activism and became a voice for civil rights in the US.
'Unique'
In the 1940s, she became one of the first black performers to sing with a major white band and have a Hollywood contract.
When asked about her success, Ms Horne once said: "I was unique in that I was a kind of black that white people could accept.
_47812328_horne_ap226.jpg
Lena Horne's popularity was revived in the later years of her life

"I was their daydream. I had the worst kind of acceptance because it was never for how great I was or what I contributed. It was because of the way I looked."
In 1981, her one-woman show, the award-winning The Lady and her Music, based on her life and career, ran for more than a year on Broadway and in London.
Her success gained her a special Tony award, while Horne's recording career resulted in two Grammy awards.
When actress Halle Berry became the first black woman to win a best actress Oscar in 2002, she cited Lena Horne as one of the pioneering entertainers who had paved the way for her breakthrough.

R.I.P - Hank Jones

the piano player for Marilyn Monroe's infamous 'happy birthday mr president'
as well as an amazing career

http://www.officialhankjones.com/

Hank Jones obituary from guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/may/18/hank-jones-obituary

hank jones

Hank Jones performs at the first day of the North Sea Jazz Festival on July 10, 2009 in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Photograph: Paul Bergen/Redferns

The great jazz drummer Elvin Jones, asked by JazzUK magazine in 2001 how it felt to be still playing full-on jazz in his 70s, simply pointed to the example of his older brother. The pianist Hank Jones, the first-born of the three jazz-playing Jones brothers, was 83 at the time and still playing with the same benign determination that had distinguished his work since the 1940s.

A pianist of graceful lyricism, lightness of touch, and softness of chordal shading, Jones bridged the urbane sophistication of the swing era and the more ambiguous harmonies and zigzagging melodies of bebop. But bop's haste and mistrust of silences never diverted him from sounding notes as if concerned for their wellbeing once they left his hands. He phrased improvisations like compositions, and seemed to be in love with all his work, and incapable of making an ugly sound if he tried.

Jones, who has died aged 91, was also an underrated composer, whose work belatedly came to be covered by other jazz musicians (the US pianist Geoffrey Keezer devoted an album to his pieces as recently as 2003) and his sensitivity made him an excellent accompanist, particularly for singers. Ella Fitzgerald was Jones's principal employer for six years from the 1940s into the 50s. In 1962, he was the accompanist to Marilyn Monroe as she sang Happy Birthday to President John F Kennedy at Madison Square Garden in New York.

He was born Henry Jones in Vicksburg, Mississippi. In his early childhood the family moved to Pontiac, Michigan, where his trumpeter brother Thad and drummer brother Elvin were born – there would be 10 siblings in all. Hank was given piano lessons, and in his teens became attracted to the sounds of such stride-derived pianists as Fats Waller and Teddy Wilson, the trumpet-line mimicry adopted by Louis Armstrong's partner Earl Hines, and the blizzard of sound unleashed by the technically dazzling Art Tatum.

Hank was good enough to perform in local Michigan bands by the age of 13, and remained working professionally in the area through the 30s, eventually appearing in swing groups that included Thad on trumpet. The older Jones steadily expanded his patch to the touring "territory bands" around Grand Rapids, during which period he met the saxophonist Lucky Thompson. In 1944, Jones accompanied Thompson to New York, and a new musical world.

The New York scene of the mid-40s placed the jazz music of almost every era and persuasion side by side on such jazz boulevards as 52nd Street. Jones eagerly took it all in, and continued to freelance, primarily as a swing performer, with such high-profile, musically advanced orchestras as Andy Kirk's, John Kirby's and the singer Billy Eckstine's. But he was fascinated by the intricacies of bebop, and studied the art closely. The saxophonist Coleman Hawkins ran a hybrid swing/bop outfit in the mid-40s, and Jones recorded with it in 1946 and 1947.

In 1947, he was hired to accompany Fitzgerald, at a point in the singer's career when she had weathered difficult times and was beginning to mature as an artist, and also starting to command some of the biggest fees in the business. Tuning his ear to Fitzgerald's speed of thought and vocal elasticity, Jones became the quintessential accompanist, developing an aptitude for spontaneous shading, colouration and enhancement of the music around him that bordered on musical witchcraft.

Having appeared with Fitzgerald on the impresario Norman Granz's globetrotting Jazz at the Philharmonic package tours, Jones became a participant in other Granz projects, including recordings in the early 50s with Charlie Parker. He also worked with Duke Ellington's former trombonist Tyree Glenn and with the clarinettist Artie Shaw's Gramercy Five in 1953, and made regular appearances at the Birdland club in New York. With the pioneering bebop drummer Kenny Clarke, Jones worked regularly as a studio player for Savoy Records, briefly rejoined Hawkins in 1955, and toured with Benny Goodman.

Towards the end of the decade, he appeared with Glenn in bands led by the trombonist that sometimes featured a fitfully poetic Lester Young. His brother Elvin appeared with Jones in a 1958 edition of the Glenn ensemble, and Jones recorded with the fast-rising Cannonball Adderley in the same year.

Jones went to work on the studio staff of CBS records in 1959 – often playing on the Ed Sullivan Show – and remained with the company for 17 years. But he continued to work the jazz circuit when he could. Throughout the 70s, he performed regularly with Goodman, then became pianist and conductor on the Broadway musical Ain't Misbehavin'. He appears on hundreds of recordings, a testament to his ability to fit in at the drop of a hat, and lift everyone else's game, while still adding a uniquely identifiable chemistry of his own.

From the late 70s on, he often played unaccompanied, or duetted with likemindedly subtle and understated pianists such as John Lewis and Tommy Flanagan. Jones also performed with an ensemble that came to be known as the Great Jazz Trio – a deservedly hyperbolic name for a group born at the Village Vanguard in 1976 and initially starring Jones alongside the former Miles Davis bass and drums colossi Ron Carter and Tony Williams. The bassists Eddie Gomez and Dave Holland, and drummers Al Foster, Jimmy Cobb and Billy Higgins, appeared in later editions.

Jones was popular all over the world, but had a particular following in Japan, a country he came to visit regularly, becoming a guest professor at the Osaka College of Music from 1992. He appeared at the world's great jazz festivals well into his later years, and sustained a busy programme of club dates into his 80s.

In 1989, Jones was named a National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Master, and that year Holland and the saxophonist and clarinettist Ken Peplowski contributed to one of his most mellow and captivating recordings, the Concord label's Lazy Afternoon. But Upon Reflection, made in 1993 and dedicated to his late brother Thad, and featuring Elvin on drums, laid to rest any lingering suspicions that Hank put fastidious grace above profound emotion.

Jones remained at the top of his game until the last months of his life, touring Japan in February this year. A superb live duo album, Kids, was released in 2007, featuring him in remarkably free dialogue with the saxophonist Joe Lovano, and last year he was awarded a lifetime Grammy for services to music.

He is survived by his wife, Theodosia.

• Henry "Hank" Jones, jazz pianist, born 31 July 1918; died 16 May 2010

Dead Cool on hiatus for next while

Thanks for two and a half great years in Pavilion, but I am going on hiatus for a while to shake the whole thing up. Watch this space etc

i already want to do another week to play some Gerry Rafferty stuff. R.I.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back