Cv's and shit.. (1 Viewer)

RED(tape)MENACE

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
The search function is piss all help here ; the word 'cv' is too short or common or gay, it seems.

Anyways, CV's are just above dentists in my 'must do' list ; what are the do's and dont's these days? Cover letters when you're emailing them in? What to include? What to leave out?

Cheers.

an employer doesnt want to have to wade through a load of superfluous info. i've found that word has a good template for cv's and the wizard helps you to do them up. there are some good tips on the internet, but basically, keep it all on one page.

Tailor your CV to each job you're applying for, ie. emphasise / exagerate the skills and experience each job requires and leave out anything that isn't relevant to the particular job. It creates a lot of work for yourself, but the idea is that you want it to seem from your CV that you're the ideal candidate for every job you apply for.

I'm trying to decide my year-long hiatus from 'real' work.. do I go for

1. Running my own recording studio for the last year. (Read : Lazy bum. Possibly on the drugs. Into weird shit.)

or

2. Don't mention the studio/make shit up. (Read : Lazy bum. Loves the dole. Possibly addicted to "Diagnosis : Murder".)

GrRrrrR said:

1. Running my own recording studio for the last year. (Read : Lazy bum. Possibly on the drugs. Into weird shit.)

or

2. Don't mention the studio/make shit up. (Read : Lazy bum. Loves the dole. Possibly addicted to "Diagnosis : Murder".)

you forgot 3. blur the lines between sexualities.

GrRrrrR
What would Bill Murray do
Rep: 2893

Re:Scheer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't think it was possible for a pair of heterosexuals to be so gay, but, well...

:rolleyes: !ninjaaaa

This is a good CV:

a-team-gp.jpg
= Me

"Teaching English in [insert random country here]" is the best gappy CV filler ever. Plus, there's hours of entertainment to be had in making up names of fancy-sounding French educational establishments.

I think you could make the "running own studio" thing sound pretty fancy though, if you want to go with the truth thing.

i have "free-lance sound engineer" or something to that effect on mine to explain away a year of dole time as well as some time travelling abroad. its getting me nowhere...

ya I'd say the recording studio thing is cool, but also 'travelling the world' - which may lead to horrendous lies upon lies.

GrRrrrR said:

Go for this one. It shows you have initiative and are not scared to take on a challenge.

Bag'o'cans said:
What about attending an islamic school in Pakistan.

That could be sweet, particularly if under "Hobbies/Interests" you list: wreaking vengeance on the infidel/fatwas.

That section is always crap anyway. Couldn't hurt to spice things up. Also, if you don't get hired you can send them a creepy anonymous letter:

A jihad on you

And no harm done.

It really depends on the position you want to apply for but I'd imagine that lots of the different processes & bureaucratical stuff involved in setting up your own business could be made relevant to anything.

If you're really freaked out about it, there are loads of books about the best way to do up a CV.

Main thing to do with cvs, and interviews, is lie. Lots. I was being all honest an' stuff and not getting very far til someone who used to work as a recruitment consultant gave me the above advice and now at least I get interviews (only then my outstanding lack of enthusaism for working becomes apparent and I never hear from them again).Be careful mentioning the studio cos they might just thing that you're only looking for a job until you get more business. Maybe say you worked in one instead and put some randomer down as a referee. Shite on loads about your technical abilities and good communication skills and how you love children and want to bring about world peace. That seems to work.

I think you should say the reason youre looking for work is your studio burned down in some freak accident and then throw in a line like "the police suspected arson, but those fucking pigs didnt find shit!" - sure to get you a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back