Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
Right then,

Did some recording with Jimmy Eadie over the weekend, was brilliant. Recorded to Cubase 5, which I have at home, so I can further tinker with the recordings.

Been using Cubase for ages now, and always thought I was quite handy with it. Yet it starts to struggle once the overdubs get into the higher numbers. No problem, always blamed it on my system.

However, the sessions with Jimmy, some of which are riddled with overdubs, opened in seconds! I've been doing it wrong all these years. Bastards.

So, in the spirit of doing things properly, please tell me how to do the following.

For instance, I have 10 drum tracks. Rather than loading individual reverbs for each track, how do I load up one reverb plug in, and send the same signal to all tracks? Assumed it was the FX channel, but I can't seem to get it working....

For Sx you add the Fx track with the reverb plugin,go to the send of the audio track you want to route to it,select the plug in in the drop down menu and regulate the signal using the mini slider just below,you'll be able to route any track you want from its aux send to this Fx track now.

deadly, thanks!

next question. think it's reason that has a great tempo slider, where you can easily alter the track tempo without any noticeable artefacts, and do it in realtime. couple of the drum takes are too pacey and i want to see if i can get away with slowing them down. is there an easy-ish way of doing this in cubase? is timestretch the only option?

with regards to the re-tempoing of the drums, you can 're-size with stretch' from the select tool. it's a bit artefactual sometimes though, depending on how much you alter it..

for neatness? or it works better?

tempo wise, it'd be a minute change, like from 130bpm to 125

been suggested i should just slow it down and live with the change in pitch, would prob be fine

well, a 5bpm change at that tempo probably wouldn't leave much in the way of artefacts. it has the advantage of being immediately clear when you are doing the time stretch and takes effect straight away. therefore you're not going to be wasting time rendering or whatever only to find out that you need to tweak again and again etc. btw, it's the 'sizing applies time stretch' tool i was referring to (not 're-size with stretch' like i originally said).

for neatness? or it works better?

tempo wise, it'd be a minute change, like from 130bpm to 125

been suggested i should just slow it down and live with the change in pitch, would prob be fine

The first 8 inserts are pre-fader, as far as I remember. So if I want to say cut some low end, it's happening before it goes back into the mix bus/fader etc and free's up headroom.
Also, I prefer the control of inserts, rather than tweaking send and return levels. So I guess more for neatness.

what about doing a dynamic split, then quantizing?

whut? how?

time stretch option is working ok, but i'd like to give a go of slowing down the track without the pitch correction being added to it. ie just like slowing down a tape. any choice other than time stretch to do this?

Ok while we're talking about Cubase,

I'm new to it and am recording onto it via a small Yamaha Steinberg pre-amp jobby.

Trouble is, when I record directly in or with a mic I get this audio clip or lag every 15 seconds or so, like it has to catch up with itself before it continues recording....

I'm not looking to do anything complex, just literally clean 4 track recordings....

PLEASE help, I've taken to not using it out of frustration.

Thanks,

Niall

Have you guys checked out Cubase 6? The game has completely changed in relation to changing tempo and working with multi track drums. It's so much easier now!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check this out

and multi track editing. I swear to you, this alone is saving me hours in sessions working with live drums :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back