Crimethinc pharmaceutical company opened up??? (4 Viewers)

thought it was interesting that Crimethinc now sell Nirvana(who were of course DIY as fuck) tshirts according to an ad in Slug and Lettuce.If they'd set up a stall at the central bank when Catharsis were over they'd have made a killing.
I imagine the Lizzy tshirts are next.

it's a boy:
v_twin_small.jpg

andrew

jamie, crimethinc don't sell tshirts.

As shit as some of their output is ("off the map") can't wait for the 600+ page book "recipes for disaster"
Anyone know if you can get it in ireland yet?

also, slug and fucking lettuce?

Fuck off.

Aha, I'll have to transcribe the slug and lettuce review from green anarchy #15 (not an official endorsement of this, did actually just get it for the s'n'l review) cause I can't find it on the net.

weeler said:
jamie, crimethinc don't sell tshirts.

As shit as some of their output is ("off the map") can't wait for the 600+ page book "recipes for disaster"
Anyone know if you can get it in ireland yet?

Weeler, there's an ad for a bunch of shirts/patches they sell in the current Slug And Lettuce.Have a look, it's in red ink.

I take this as more of a criticism of the American punk scene, merely using the review of S&L as a springboard for this criticism. Pieces I've cut out for the sake of brevity are [...]. From Green Anarchy #15 :-

Slug and Lettuce

(reviewed by Arm ‘n Hamma)

“Punk’s Not Dead, It’s Just Really Depressed”

This review will most likely end up pissing off many self-identified punks, since we are being critical of a punk institution (and to some extent, the punk scene itself), but isn’t that what punk is all about – destroying all institutions, raw honesty, and constantly redefining who we are and what we are doing? Or is it about feeling good about ourselves, no matter how insular, dysfunctional, delusional, apathetic, and uninspiring they may be? Some will no doubt say (and have said), “who the fuck are y’all to criticise punk.” Well, we are punks, people influenced by punk, or folks who have been very interactive with punk scenes for most of our lives. We also feel that punk has had much to offer and still has the potential to be a gateway or a path to radical politics and action. Punk started as a rejection of superficial idealism and consumption, and became a vehicle for people to get in touch with their rage. It was a potent method of becoming empowered to unleash that rage on the establishment, but punk has largely become something which now co-opts that rage and turns it into just another part of the spectacle and scene.

Some will write off this review as “sour grapes” for Green Anarchy being dismissed and given negative reviews by S&L in the past (i.e. issue #75: my advice to those interested in reading Green Anarchy, bring along a good bullshit detector.” – Wispy). Yet, in fact, GA got a great review in the current issue (thanks to Christine, the editor), but so did almost everything else, which brings us to our main point…almost zero critical analysis of not only the punk scene (which is in desperate need of some), but the increasingly fucked-up and devastating world we live in. I know that already there are some punks getting out their pens and paper to write us a “fuck you” letter, but hold on…We are not saying that punk is stupid or useless, but that it has lost a lot of it’s passion, political urgency, self-reflective desire, and anti-establishment edge. It has become a scene, not that dissimilar from the one that deadheads created around music and counter-culture. Sure, there are people within both scenes who are actively fighting oppression and creating DIY (Do-It-Yourself) projects and networks, to be more self-sufficient and less dependent on the system. But many folks are just playing into a fashion show and looking for an escape they can rationalize (aesthetic and recreational dissent). This is where self-criticism is vital.
[...]
To inform those outside of the punk scene, this paper has been a long-time punk journal, review rag, Do-It-Yourself guide, and ad space for record and punk paraphernalia distributors. At this, they are relatively successful, and do offer some interesting information in each issue, especially in the DIY arena. The most noteworthy aspect of this project is that it has been free for over a decade. It currently has a print run of 10,000 making it a grassroots alternative to Maximum Rock and Roll and Punk Planet. While there are occasional articles of interest, overall, this paper is lacking in radical content. Each issue is flooded with self-congratulatory statements about how “awesome” the punk scene is (gag), unending reports about ho inspiring the last show was (snooze), and liberal-at-best commentary on the state of the world(hiccup), oh yeah, and vegan recipes (burp). Are there amazing people and happenings in the punk world? …no doubt, but not any more so than in any other counter-cultural ghetto. Having an entire publication dedicated to boosting the morale and self-esteem of any scene(the anarchist scene included) seems a little absurd outside the occasional personal zine. As a personal zine, S&L would be just one of thousands of voices which make up a collective discussion about our experiences in the punk and anarchist worlds, but unfortunately this zine has become one of the predominant “underground press” papers for thousands of punks. Some might say S&L is only providing a forum for punks to express themselves…so why do punks have so little to say these days?

Each issue is roughly divided into three parts: editorial and columns, zine and music reviews, and advertisements. To pay for printing and mailing, ads are sprinkled throughout, generally for records, music distributors, and punk tours. Most zine reviews, from an assortment of contributors, are hyper-enthusiastic, yet cynical and dismissive of anything shying too far from euphoric personal travelogues or persistent cries of depression. They seem to have distaste for anything overtly anarchist or direct action focused. Each issue starts out with an editorial/personal feelings piece by Christine, and a number of regular columns, such as: the super enthusiastic and overly sentimental “go gardeners” column by “mad farmer sascha”; the self-righteous “why I’m travelling the world or cutting down trees while y’all are wasting time tryin’ to fight the system” column by Mike Antipathy (“Ecopunk”); a sometimes informative, but often reformist “Radical Mother”; S&L’s “anarchist” column, “Merrydeath,” which asks us to “…take a deep breath and vote against the ass (G.W.) in the next election,” because, “if everyone who reads this votes, maybe we have a chance of dethroning the fuckers.” Carolyn’s progressive “Crossroads” which encourages us to fight the system from within by combing our hair, covering up our tattoos, putting on straight clothes, stepping out of the streets, and getting a job with the EPA or other “helpful” government agencies (oh yeah, and replacing our incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents (CFL’s) to save energy, money, and stop pollution); and a number of other regular, irregular, and guest columns sure to motivate you to do “something” (?).

Sure, gardening, grey water systems, composting toilets, bikes, homebrew beer, Food Not Bombs, dumpster diving, vegan ‘meat’ loaf, punk shows, and adventures in Mexico are great, they just don’t do a hell of a lot to challenge the system (which is enslaving most of the world, committing genocide, and destroying the biosphere) on any meaningful level…how about resistance (usually the last subject discussed, and usually limited to the latest Mumia rally or Critical Mass)?

Hey, if we don’t fight, then there is no revolution! One of the more annoying parts of the paper is linguistic; the editor obviously does not have spell-check on their computer, and someone seems to do a word replacement of “punk” for every positive adjective used. Finally, this paper is clearly ageist and ablest, since the print size is about half the size of what you are reading right now (just a bit of PC humor to lighten things up a bit). Again, there is the sporadic insightful remark or column, but overall, Slug and Lettuce is rather disappointing.
[...]

There was also a picture taken from Slug and lettuce, scratchboard style of a girl pouring a bucket of water into a toilet and the writting round the edge saying 'Revolutionary code of ethis #11 try greywater systems conserve resources'. Then Green Anarchy have added underneath the picture 'The "radical" politics of Slug and Lettuce'.

Brilliant, more of this.
Got a deadly "Miltancy beyond the black bloc" pamphlet yesterday, quite good.

Yeah people have been docking me for this thread like I don't know what!

Oh no... I'm so hurt, I'm beginning to think my joke about joking about something is actually hurting people's feelings!

My guesses - Weeler, Egg and Andy To The Feud.

If I say that Crimethick is Kool will I obtain some points???

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back