Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (15 Viewers)

A virus is a protein box, containing DNA or RNA, which sometimes comes wrapped in a bubble of oil.

If a substance / process denatures proteins or in this case can screw up a lipid (fat) membrane it's going to knock out the virus. (Denature just means untangle and break.)

So what you're going to want to look for is anything that can mess with fat, or mess with proteins.

In the lab we used to use bleach, since that denatures and clobbers everything, but bleach is pretty harsh on skin. Having said that, if you want to clean something a wipe with a mild bleach solution will do the job. I don't know how Detol works, but I'm going to guess it's some class of a protein denature-er. Heat would be another thing that denatures protein, meaning a quick trip into boiling water should screw them up too.

In addition to the above, this guy is one of the boys that's wrapped in a molecule thick layer of oil, meaning anything that can break oil will take him out. That means that a mild detergent solution is going to kill him, a soap solution will, alcohol will dissolve the membrane, and so on.

So, if you run low on any one thing you can substitute. At one point at least medical places were just making up a bleach solution to dunk thing and wipe down surfaces. Dig out your clothes detergent from under the sink, dilute that right down, and that will work, or just dish soap. Dettol will most likely work, but so will loads of other really common things

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A virus is a protein box, containing DNA or RNA, which sometimes comes wrapped in a bubble of oil.

If a substance / process denatures proteins or in this case can screw up a lipid (fat) membrane it's going to knock out the virus. (Denature just means untangle and break.)

So what you're going to want to look for is anything that can mess with fat, or mess with proteins.

In the lab we used to use bleach, since that denatures and clobbers everything, but bleach is pretty harsh on skin. Having said that, if you want to clean something a wipe with a mild bleach solution will do the job. I don't know how Detol works, but I'm going to guess it's some class of a protein denature-er. Heat would be another thing that denatures protein, meaning a quick trip into boiling water should screw them up too.

In addition to the above, this guy is one of the boys that's wrapped in a molecule thick layer of oil, meaning anything that can break oil will take him out. That means that a mild detergent solution is going to kill him, a soap solution will, alcohol will dissolve the membrane, and so on.

So, if you run low on any one thing you can substitute. At one point at least medical places were just making up a bleach solution to dunk thing and wipe down surfaces. Dig out your clothes detergent from under the sink, dilute that right down, and that will work, or just dish soap. Dettol will most likely work, but so will loads of other really common things
here, get off thumped and get us a jaysus vaccine

I’m going to ask an awkward question;

How do healthcare / hospital staff prioritise sick people that are all as at risk of kicking the bucket as the next?
do they do it by age or what?

ps: egg I’m glad your missus got sorted. Hopefully that’sthe only visit she’ll have to make

NI have been testing 40 people a day, promised to increase the number. easy to increase when your testing regime has essentially been non-existent.

NI is an odd one, seeming to do fuck all yet i have it on RUMOUR* that A: containment locations identified a week ago and B: Respirator training for all staff this week.

*healthcare very close relative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back