computer recording music (1 Viewer)

potlatch

Website
www.monkeybomb.com
I'm thinking of buying stuff soon so I can record/make moozik on my computer. Nothing too fancy right now, just enough to get me started. My computer is a MacBook Pro, and I'd be looking for a couple of mics (dynamic and condenser, I suppose), some kind of way of getting the music into my computer, and software (probably just recording, and some kind of drum machine/sequencer). Maybe then, I'll move onto fancier stuff.

What's the best way to go about this? I've heard bad stuff about latency with those M-Box yokes, or the cheaper versions.

Any ideas?

Mboxes have low latency monitoring, so I don't see how latency should be a problem if you're using them right.

Checklist :

• How much yawannaspend?
  • What kinda junk will you be recording? (Acoustics?Harp?Gongs?)
  • How many of these things will you need to record simultaneously?

Hey. I assumed I'd have to spend about €600. €300'ish for an M-Box (not sure if to go for a USB2 or Firewire) then mics and whatever else to get started - more if I have to pay for software. If I can get cheaper stuff that's nearly as good, so be it.

I'll probably be recording guitars (electric and acousic), voice, random other stuff (not sure yet, percussion thingies, ukuleles, keyboards, whatever). I'm not so into recording directly into a computer (like plugging the guitar into an M-Box or some preamp or something), but whatever, like. I don't think I want to be greedy about recording channels - nothing major for now, to be honest. Just basic demo-ing/good enough quality home recording. I havent done this before, so I want to start off simple.

Thanks. Someone told me Edirol soundcards can be quite good - how do they compare to M-Boxes?

And mics seem like a minefield. Where do I start? Definitely will be recording acoustic stuff (stuff in rooms), voice, and guitar amps.

I'm on Mac, so I don't think Reaper will cut it right now. How easy is it to get Logic or Cubase bootlegs?

I might have an Lite version of Logic for mac. The pro version needs a dongle I think.

Remember, if you buy an Mbox it comes with Pro Tools LE, the Mbox acts as a dongle

Proberly for the time being. Until I get the hang of using the gear, then I'd move on, I spose. Logic looks good alright. But, is it worth shelling out for an M-Box or are these other yokes like Edirol just as good?

Then, what mics do you recommend? Pete? Anyone?

Ok, choices choices.
First off, ya gotta pick a software platform.
That decides what hardware you buy, at least to a certain extent.

There's Logic, PT, Cubase and plenty more.

PT needs hardware, although you could get an M-audio interface which also works with PT, although you have to pay extra for the PT software then. Going this route you could grab an interface and mess around with Cubase LE or whatever comes free with it for a while.

Logic, Cubase and all the rest can use pretty much any interface, so plenty of choice there.

So first off, I'd see if you can borrow or check out someone else's software and see what you like the look of.
It's hard to say what's best or easiest, it differs from dude to dude.
I'd say that you could probably even spend a bit of time learning Garage Band as a good intro to computer recording.

More about interfaces and mics when I get a chance.

Hi HMD,
I'm not a big expert on logic/cubase/midi composing, but here's a couple of thoughts for the pot - If you've no immediate plans to record multi instrument set-ups then you can save some bucks & not pick a system that gives you loads of hardware inputs. 2 will probably do, which kinda points towards an M-Box type of thing just to plug your guitar & vox/acoustic - mic into & hence into your computer's software. You can get tech-widgety about pre-amp quality of diff. units but at entry level (I suspect) it's all much of a muchness. As far as the associated softwares go the advantage of Pro-tools is that it's more or less industry standard which means if you do something great at home you can transfer the entire project into a top-notch facility & beef it up as required on their fancy PT system & not have to start from scratch. I think you can still get 'Pro-Tools Free' as a download from the digidesign site (?) - it's a minimal but functioning version that'll give you a feel for PT without shelling out first.
Lastly, get the best mic/s you can afford. A condenser mic is priority for vocals &/ unless there's some really loud, percussive recording on the cards, I'd recommend putting the money into one good condenser & wait till you need one to buy/borrow a dynamic.

!baggyyyy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back